Melbourne Football

R25, City v Adelaide, Saturday 13th April 5.35pm, Lucky you're at AAMI

fensaddler

Overall I thought it was a fair result. The boys played their hearts out on both sides. For a football purist it's was a great game.

However, the fact that Wazza plays Griffiths, Brattan and Bacchus in the middle with Bacchus trying to run forward, is a testament to why we can't deliver that killer ball from the middle of the park to JMac.

The next match I would like to start Florin for Bacchus and Najjarine on the left wing as both players in their positions will create better quality attacking opportunities. Bacchus just hasn't got that quality in his bag and should be played in a DM role and not be the centre advanced target to develop an attack.

I left satisfied from the game, but Wazza needs to have players with the right skillset to do what is asked of them.

Again, the 0-0 was Wazza's doing.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Overall I thought it was a fair result. The boys played their hearts out on both sides. For a football purist it's was a great game.

However, the fact that Wazza plays Griffiths, Brattan and Bacchus in the middle with Bacchus trying to run forward, is a testament to why we can't deliver that killer ball from the middle of the park to JMac.

The next match I would like to start Florin for Bacchus and Najjarine on the left wing as both players in their positions will create better quality attacking opportunities. Bacchus just hasn't got that quality in his bag and should be played in a DM role and not be the centre advanced target to develop an attack.

I left satisfied from the game, but Wazza needs to have players with the right skillset to do what is asked of them.

Again, the 0-0 was Wazza's doing.

Exactly. Couldn’t agree more. 

A midfield three of Berenguer, Baccus and Brattan and a forward line of Najjarine, Maclaren and Harrison would be potent. I know you aren’t a fan but I’d then give Wales the final 20 minutes out wide. He looks a lot better on the wing, which is where he should be playing. 

Schenkeveld coming back would allow De Laet to play at RB, which gives us a lot more drive and quality in that final third. 

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Quality difference perhaps?

Pretty obvious when you look at the squads. Sydney and Wellington also have some match-winners in their squads, but the Adelaide and City squads are really quite ordinary. In the end, the league table doesn't tell many lies. We've won just two matches since Round 15, and only three since our match on 11th January. Since 11th January just one away win and a home record of 2 wins and 4 draws. Dismal really.

Week in, week out, same old same old. Mind. Blown.

Very early in the first half, Harrison receives the ball wide-ish. Good attacking position. Now what?

33753666828_ba6ef2cbaa_z.jpg

Slows down waiting for reinforcements. Not the worst thing to do here but a real striker would have taken on the defender. Arzani would have skipped around the defender.

46906689794_c88ee34d0e_b.jpg

Shay sees Baccus in clear space dead in front of goal with barely a defender on him. Passes to him. What now?

Baccus can shoot farkin or slide a ball to Maclaren whose waiting between two defenders, ready to receive, turn and shoot. 

46906690314_2262544d18_b.jpg

You guessed it :droy:    He decides to go wide left, kills the available opportunities and turns the ball over.

46906690904_a84b1e3672_b.jpg

This is school boy stuff that should be ironed out during the week. Both Harrison and Baccus could have done something positive. We've said it so often, we cannot win silverware with this mindset. Full stop. #joyceout

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Very early in the first half, Harrison receives the ball wide-ish. Good attacking position. Now what?

Slows down waiting for reinforcements. Not the worst thing to do here but a real striker would have taken on the defender. Arzani would have skipped around the defender.

Shay sees Baccus in clear space dead in front of goal with barely a defender on him. Passes to him. What now?

Baccus can shoot farkin or slide a ball to Maclaren whose waiting between two defenders, ready to receive, turn and shoot. 

You guessed it :droy:    He decides to go wide left, kills the available opportunities and turns the ball over.

This is school boy stuff that should be ironed out during the week. Both Harrison and Baccus could have done something positive. We've said it so often, we cannot win silverware with this mindset. Full stop. #joyceout

Baccus is always the common denominator in all of these. He's shit.

1 hour ago, haz said:

Baccus is always the common denominator in all of these. He's shit.

Play him as the single pivot in a midfield three and he’d be perfect. He suits it perfectly.

But instead he’s asked to be a CM. And he doesn’t have the skills or creativity for it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Even so, his interception ability is good but his defensive positioning is poor.

I think Griffiths is a better fit.

If we had a tactically astute manager, he could be trained to position himself better. 

I like Griffiths but his touch is too heavy for a possession-based team playing out from the back, which we should aspire to be.

Baccus can turn well in tight spaces and doesn’t lose the ball much. He also tackles really well. 

5 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

What I find interesting is that in the first frame we've got 5 attackers on 6 defenders, and by the last it's 4 on 7.

Baccus should have had one touch, then a shot, while JMac follows in to pick up any crumbs.