Melbourne Football

Western United FC

jw1739

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/western-united-part-ways-with-rudan-after-disappointing-a-league-season

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/western-united-option-for-muscat-if-celtic-move-stalls

Rudan's gone.  the dirtbag from the tards named as possible replacement.

when i saw the second article yesterday, i thought it was nothing more than some journo taking the piss. FMD couldn't be more surprised.

i know there's been a few rumours here and there that Rudan's can be a rude prick behind closed doors (and he's always come across as a flog) but still 😲

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/western-united-part-ways-with-rudan-after-disappointing-a-league-season

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/western-united-option-for-muscat-if-celtic-move-stalls

Rudan's gone.  the dirtbag from the tards named as possible replacement.

when i saw the second article yesterday, i thought it was nothing more than some journo taking the piss. FMD couldn't be more surprised.

i know there's been a few rumours here and there that Rudan's can be a rude prick behind closed doors (and he's always come across as a flog) but still 😲

I know that Rudan can be obnoxious, but I reckon it's a bit rough on him. This has been a very disturbed season, especially for the Melbourne clubs, and with Tarneit Paddock Rovers having no fixed abode hardly a season conducive to good results.

However, I agree that they need to sort themselves out and press the reset button. I still think long-term they'd be better off in Geelong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

If anyone was going to get sacked and then then another coach was going to come in i couldn't ask for anything better than this. The prodigal son coaching a regional Victorian team LOL. 

FTFY

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

have completed a very extensive search by the sounds of it 😜

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/australian-football-icon-john-aloisi-joins-western-united-head-coach

13 minutes ago, malloy said:

Word is, they chose The Unlucky One over Stajcic.

wowsers

like him or loathe him, Stajcic did wonders in Gosford  

Edited by mattyh001

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Unbelievable, they were basically given a licence based on a building a ground, now it looks like they'll be shuffling around like homeless losers. 

https://7news.com.au/sport/soccer/a-league-w-league-seasons-pushed-back-c-4045674

What interests me more is here we have a sports facility, as we do at AAMI Park, paid for by taxpayers and operated by a Trust, and a tenant can oppose another potential tenant from using that facility. In both cases I don't think that the current tenants (South at Lakeside, and City and Victory at AAMI) have an exclusive tenancy (or we wouldn't see NRL, RU, concerts and big trucks at AAMI or athletics at Lakeside).

These assets belong to all of us, not just football clubs.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

What interests me more is here we have a sports facility, as we do at AAMI Park, paid for by taxpayers and operated by a Trust, and a tenant can oppose another potential tenant from using that facility. In both cases I don't think that the current tenants (South at Lakeside, and City and Victory at AAMI) have an exclusive tenancy (or we wouldn't see NRL, RU, concerts and big trucks at AAMI or athletics at Lakeside).

These assets belong to all of us, not just football clubs.

So I believe in aami parks case as per acl rules only 2 teams can share a ground and with city being in the acl that's a breach if united share it as would be 3 teams. 

In Souths case they have a veto on any other soccer games except internationals and used that veto previously to prevent heart using the stadium is the rumor. As per their statement they see united as a direct rival, whereas victory w-league and y-league have played their without issue as south don't have a leg to stand on to veto it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Knights response to tarneits statement regarding knights stadium http://www.melbourneknights.com.au/news/a-response-to-claims-regarding-knights-stadium/

This sort of shit just demonstrates what is so wrong with Australian football. We are forever shooting ourselves in the foot with this pettiness - we should all be working together for the common cause of maximising the financial stability of the game, investment and interest in the game, its public image and support thereof, and therefore its growth. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

This sort of shit just demonstrates what is so wrong with Australian football. We are forever shooting ourselves in the foot with this pettiness - we should all be working together for the common cause of maximising the financial stability of the game, investment and interest in the game, its public image and support thereof, and therefore its growth. 

I don't think that the Knights have said anything wrong. All they have done is responded to WU public statements which going by the response has been inaccurate or even misleading. Me thinks that the FFA should be embarrassed by giving the license to WU.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I don't think that the Knights have said anything wrong. All they have done is responded to WU public statements which going by the response has been inaccurate or even misleading. Me thinks that the FFA should be embarrassed by giving the license to WU.

No, nothing wrong. IMO just totally unnecessary to make public details of behind-the-scenes discussions/negotiations. Unnecessary for WU's comments in the first place. 

Get a load of this: 

It's one thing to defend your club and the unacceptable current state of their stadium non-development, but it's another to take pot-shots at us for "training standards being not up to scratch" after moving away from a $14M state of the art facility to Casey where the construction of an even bigger, more professional facility is already underway. If our training standards aren't up to scratch coming off the season we just did, then what the hell does that make Nomad FC's?

I was all for giving these useless fucks the benefit of the doubt but jeez, the unfounded arrogance is deafening.

"Betterment of the game in Victoria" my ass. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 05/01/2024 at 7:41 PM, kingofhearts said:

All talk

I'll believe it when I see it

This is where I'm at with WU. They've gone through three stadium builders by my count. Less press conferences and more action please. 

• 3 months later...

Is that stadium of WU their final effort or a training pitch? Interesting to see whatever its final designation. Could be quite a nice little "boutique" ground if developed further. Looks functional and affordable from the highlights of the match vs. Adelaide I just watched.

Quite by chance some 20 minutes after I posted the above I discovered this: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-20/clubs-exploring-modular-stadiums/103640100

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

The modular stadium idea is not new of course.  IMO there is no need to build-in facilities that are used on match-day, such as food and beverage outlets - these facilities come to the ground and set up outside the ground on match day and are run by private businesses. I believe that this is the model used in the USA, and in fact saw the big stadium in Honolulu which operates on this basis. On the day in question we went to a sort of bring-and-buy sale held in the car-park outside.

Three of the stands at the new stadium of AFC Wimbledon are of modular construction. A heart-warming story itself of the rebirth of a football club is here: https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/club/history/#:~:text=It happened on November 3,and loved ceased to exist.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Is that stadium of WU their final effort or a training pitch? Interesting to see whatever its final designation. Could be quite a nice little "boutique" ground if developed further. Looks functional and affordable from the highlights of the match vs. Adelaide I just watched.

Quite by chance some 20 minutes after I posted the above I discovered this: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-20/clubs-exploring-modular-stadiums/103640100

Think it's their training ground/women's home ground. Sounded like they were yet to build the actual stadium...

It's probably big enough for them anyway as it is. They could always add more on the ends if the club grows it's supporter base...

4 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Think it's their training ground/women's home ground. Sounded like they were yet to build the actual stadium...

It's probably big enough for them anyway as it is. They could always add more on the ends if the club grows it's supporter base...

5,000 at present. Could easily get to 15,000 with modular additions. Why spend more? 

• Like 1