Melbourne Football

Western United FC

jw1739

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I have not been a City fans for ages and I have decided that I will become a Western United Fan as far as maybe attending a game once a year and through watching them on Kayo.

Reasons why:

1.  I hate Manchester City in fact I support Manchester United.
  2. Therefore I prefer a name that features United and a Region than just the word: City. Heart should have chosen a region in the first place.
  3. I do have links to the region being a passionate lifelong Cats fan.
  4. The attempts to adopt Heart into Melbourne have been pathetic, the club wore a Heart Kit at first away and then replaced it with a Red Kit that looked like some hack had made it on Photoshop for a Fan Designed Kit. Now they wear a Sydney Kit at home and a Victory Kit Away.
  5. When we were in YSIDE it was us that incorporated the Melbourne Flag as a Heart thing and City just ripped it off and now use it in off colours for a team that never wear Red.
  6. The City Casual Supporters groups that make me cringe, (Not the younger lads) but one in particular but also those who copy Yarraside Symbols and Styles and even worse still in the case of "Parlia" the colours of KGB that they have no connection to or even knowledge of why they were chosen. It is also really annoying when such people claim to be around in the YSIDE days when I know they were not as I would have known them,
  7. I hate Rangers and an older nickname still used by some supporters for them is the Sky Blues, so I can choose between a side who wears Green like Celtic than a team that uses Blue like Rangers.
  8. I am a Republican and I hate absolute Monarchies, I would prefer to support a team owned by some Rich Italians raised in Brunswick than in a Country were the King is above the law.
  9.  Every time I see City play I just wish it was Heart, so its time to move on to something that does not bear this pain.

BTW I will continue to post on here in the Club Room, people can bag me out for my decision but that team I saw the other day wearing Navy Kits against SFC were not fucken Melbourne Heart. Also I just dont give a fuck and if the team dies... well it my third National Soccer Side to die after Brunswick Juventus and Heart so I am used to it by now.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, n i k o said:

Fair enough. CFG have really stretched many to their limit for many reasons. And that's on field results aside. 

Yes, everyone has their reasons. I think there are quite a few people who feel uncomfortable with our present ownership, and what that ownership's intentions really are for Melbourne City.

I think a similar question is now being asked in New York.

Is there a genuine intention to have a successful football club, or is it just an exercise in "sportswashing"?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, everyone has their reasons. I think there are quite a few people who feel uncomfortable with our present ownership, and what that ownership's intentions really are for Melbourne City.

I think a similar question is now being asked in New York.

Is there a genuine intention to have a successful football club, or is it just an exercise in "sportswashing"?

The CFG is everything I hate about Football these days, they seem to just buy players for the sake of cornering the market (TBH it reminds of Godophlin in horse racing) as its like they are acquiring horses for a International Network of stables and then they choose where to play them.

I obviously like watching Celtic win but these days the reason is because of our good relationship with CFG which sees them give us good young players to test them out to see if they can make it bigger elsewhere. Some of these players are fantastic to watch and of course if players get really good at Celtic in the past fifteen years they have always move on but no days whenever you excited about one of these guys you now they are borrowed time,

Of course their are young risks wit Western United falling apart but at least it will be a more grass roots club like Heart was... I think most Heart fans would chose to follow a Heart side who could only makes finals every second year that the current City side even though the make finals every year, At least now Victorians will be able to see their side play twice as many Away games in Victoria as well as at home. I have always been envious of fans in NSW being able to see their side play at home and also away against three (soon to be four) other sides away.

Hopefully with the two new clubs coming in the clubs can pressure the FFA enough to have more International spots on lists to lift the level of football as because I have said before even if means less Australians in the league those who are playing A-League have a much better chance of advancing their careers in a league of higher standard due to more foreign players being in the competition.

Also if Western City's Kit is anything like the one below - it will be the best Kit the A-league has had in my opinion since Heart. It really annoys me how City threw away not only Hearts Kit but the best in the league. The first Heart Kit which was White with Red Stripes I think supporters of even the other clubs would agree looked the most like a proper kit.

celtic_2006-2007-change-n.gif

Edited by cadete

10 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Fully respect this. I am no longer as passionate or committed as a few years ago. I honestly thought that CFG would be good for the game but in the end they just cannot decide what they want from the club and certainly have crippled the ambitions with their coaching selection.

CFG ARE good for the game in Aus,

the question is whether theyre good for the club.

Edited by bt50

@cadete I’m not going to sledge you.  City is a hard club to support right now.

Personally I kind of feel like the bloke in “House of the Rising Sun” - “one foot on the platform, the other foot on train”. to date I keep going back to New Orleans and probably will continue to. 

I’m certainly not driving to Geelong for home games, so Geelong/Tarneit/Western are not going to be my team.

Kind of in the same boat as @cadete here. 

Locality to Western United FC, and Melbourne City doing what they've been doing since existence is making it too tempting for myself to, at the very least, attend some home games just to see what it's like. 

If Melbourne City at least respected their fan base with decent investment and engagement then this may not have even been an issue, but truth be told I've only attended the Christmas derby this season, and this is my second season in a row of not having a season ticket (was a Heart foundation member etc). It's just so predictable, it's boring. The Bruno situation has probably been the final nail for me, just bewildering. 

Amyway, the league could do with a strong Melbourne City and I still hope it occurs but people from the 'west' now have an option that may resonate more with them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The proposed name could well have to be changed or FFA lose some funding.

All this sort of shit should be sorted before FFA goes public.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fox-sports-threaten-to-withhold-5m-from-ffa-over-western-united-20190221-p50zeh.html

Almost. They dont lose it so much as they don't get the increase that was written in on expansion. Tbh with the ALeague rating so poorly atm I think the FFA just needs to cop it on the chin to ensure they dont piss off their biggest benefactor.
I dont think they need to change the name though, they need to make a move thats seen not to be financially motivated for a change, if only purely from a PR perspective.

Edited by bt50

41 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Almost. They dont lose it so much as they don't get the increase that was written in on expansion. Tbh with the ALeague rating so poorly atm I think the FFA just needs to cop it on the chin to ensure they dont piss off their biggest benefactor.
I dont think they need to change the name though, they need to make a move thats seen not to be financially motivated for a change, if only purely from a PR perspective.

The more FFA give in to stuff like this the more football in this country is going down the gurgler. Fox Sports is dreaming if they think having Melbourne in it will change their viewer rating. The game has no chance in this country whilst every decision is made for a reason other than for the game itself. 

• Like 3

Considering there was legitimately once a team named "The  Football Kingz" in the Australian National League of the time, they later became the Auckland Knights of the original A-League really dont see issue with the name. How anybody came up with a club name where the side came from: Football and their Nickname was the Hard-style Metal spelling inspired "KingZ" baffles me to this day.

Also there is already a side called "Central Coast" who were the last club chosen for the original A-League purely because there was a brand new stadium in Gosford laying dormant after Manly decided rightly to ditch the Northern Eagles concept and return to Brookvale. I doubt the average Australian could tell you where the Central Coast Mariners are from unless you are from Gosford or the fan of another A-League club. And a look into the latest TV ratings for A-League show that there are not that many A-league fans as perhaps once thought...

Gosford has no other major sporting team and the club still gets bad attendances and more than once I have heard of players who have decided that a NPL Salary alongside a cushy job provided by a NPL club over having to live in Gosford or even Newcastle.

Players who commit to Western United, with daytime training will be able to choose between living in Melbourne or if the prefer a Sea change on the Surf Coast with each only being an hour away with the Midday Traffic a Professional Footballer encounters these day getting to Training. This is why AFL players have no difficulty with moving to play with Geelong as they can still live the above mentioned locations.

Edited by cadete

24 minutes ago, cadete said:

Also there is already a side called "Central Coast" who were the last club chosen for the original A-League purely because there was a brand new stadium in Gosford laying dormant after Manly decided rightly to ditch the Northern Eagles concept and return to Brookvale. I doubt the average Australian could tell you where the Central Coast Mariners are from unless you are from Gosford or the fan of another A-League club. And a look into the latest TV ratings for A-League show that there are not that many A-league fans as perhaps once thought...

As I've mentioned several times, my wife asks "Where do they come from?" every time we play CCM, and I'm already preparing for the same question with Western United.

I doubt that this type of club name is doing anything positive for the league.

• 2 weeks later...

Western United swoop on ex-Victory's Pasquali

By Michael Lynch

March 4, 2019 — 9.24am

Western United, the A-League's newest franchise, is believed to have signed former Melbourne Victory teen sensation Sebastian Pasquali for its first season in the competition.

Pasquali made a huge impact when still a 16-year-old at Melbourne Victory when he played against Juventus in the 2016 International Champions Cup, a pre-season tournament involving the Italian giants, Atletico Madrid and English Premier League club Tottenham.

Pasquali made his first-team debut for Victory in the Melbourne derby in October 2016, but instead of graduating to Victory's first-team squad and signing a longer-term contract,  he opted to move to Europe.

He signed for Dutch nursery Ajax Amsterdam, the club that has produced some of the best-known players in the world in the past 40 years.

Pasquali started the 2017-18 season as a regular starting player for Ajax in the under-19 Eredivisie and UEFA Youth League.

He made his debut for Jong Ajax in an Eerste Divisie (second division) loss to Fortuna Sittard in January last year, having previously made three appearances on the bench, and went on to play regularly at that level for the remainder of the season.

Pasquali made his first-team debut in the 2018-19 pre-season as a 61st minute substitution in a friendly match against Romanian club Steaua Bucharest but has spent the rest of the campaign in Ajax's under-21 team.

He has, however, made only eight appearances for that squad, and none since November.

Western has signed two coaches - John Anastasiadis and John Hutchinson - and two named players, Panagiotis Kone, the Greek international, and Socceroo full-back Josh Risdon.

Advertisement

20 hours ago, Tomi said:

Western United swoop on ex-Victory's Pasquali

By Michael Lynch

March 4, 2019 — 9.24am

Western United, the A-League's newest franchise, is believed to have signed former Melbourne Victory teen sensation Sebastian Pasquali for its first season in the competition.

Pasquali made a huge impact when still a 16-year-old at Melbourne Victory when he played against Juventus in the 2016 International Champions Cup, a pre-season tournament involving the Italian giants, Atletico Madrid and English Premier League club Tottenham.

Pasquali made his first-team debut for Victory in the Melbourne derby in October 2016, but instead of graduating to Victory's first-team squad and signing a longer-term contract,  he opted to move to Europe.

He signed for Dutch nursery Ajax Amsterdam, the club that has produced some of the best-known players in the world in the past 40 years.

Pasquali started the 2017-18 season as a regular starting player for Ajax in the under-19 Eredivisie and UEFA Youth League.

He made his debut for Jong Ajax in an Eerste Divisie (second division) loss to Fortuna Sittard in January last year, having previously made three appearances on the bench, and went on to play regularly at that level for the remainder of the season.

Pasquali made his first-team debut in the 2018-19 pre-season as a 61st minute substitution in a friendly match against Romanian club Steaua Bucharest but has spent the rest of the campaign in Ajax's under-21 team.

He has, however, made only eight appearances for that squad, and none since November.

Western has signed two coaches - John Anastasiadis and John Hutchinson - and two named players, Panagiotis Kone, the Greek international, and Socceroo full-back Josh Risdon.

Advertisement

#Prodigy 

19 hours ago, Jimmy said:

It quite similar conceptually to the original Melbourne Heart badge.

Yeh but the heart badge didnt have sick colours like black and green to reflect the trees and bitumen in the area...

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yeh but the heart badge didnt have sick colours like black and green to reflect the trees and bitumen in the area...

Living there now. Honestly should just be brown, all there is here is dead grass and dirt.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Young Polak said:

apparently the official name is "Western Service Crew" and that page is run by one person that nobody wants to associate with.

No photo description available.

How much can I get an oil change for?

FMD, with a name like Service Crew they better be one mean ass 'hooligan outfit'. Otherwise it just screams try hard flogs who have either taken inspiration from the MLS or watched Green Street Hooligans one to many times..

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, malloy said:

FMD, with a name like Service Crew they better be one mean ass 'hooligan outfit'. Otherwise it just screams try hard flogs who have either taken inspiration from the MLS or watched Green Street Hooligans one to many times..

An "active support group" six months before they've kicked a ball? Hahaha.

2 hours ago, Nate said:

how about we not shit on anyone trying to involve themselves in active support given the state of the game right now, otherwise we're no better than the FFA really.

Yeh nah, this is next level special Nate. Deserves ridicule. 

• Like 1