Melbourne Football

Jamie Maclaren

TheStig

18 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

2 year contract plus he has 1 year left on his current contract. Contracted till  2024 now. Club has transformed to a destination club where players want to stay long compared to before and sign long extensions. 

Great news. Sensible decision by JMac. Now, where's that thread "Squad signing has been horrible?..."

5 minutes ago, rass said:

Did I read it correctly? Maclaren actually wasn't nominated for the Johnny Warren Medal?

Instead, it's between Davila, Diamante (did he even play?) and Ninkovic?

Surely that's a piss take right?

No it’s a poorly worded article just going through contenders  like the Brownlow 3-2-1 votes on each game 

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Great news. Sensible decision by JMac. Now, where's that thread "Squad signing has been horrible?..."

As well as that we have signed Leckie, Maclaren and Nabbout to 3 year deals. That’s our front 3 for the next 3 years 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rass said:

Did I read it correctly? Maclaren actually wasn't nominated for the Johnny Warren Medal?

Instead, it's between Davila, Diamante (did he even play?) and Ninkovic?

Surely that's a piss take right?

You get that impression from the article on the league website, but there isn't any actual list of nominations that I can find.

• Like 1

Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren has signed a two-year contract extension with A-League grand finalists Melbourne City.

Maclaren, who is currently in quarantine due to recent Socceroos commitments and will miss this weekend’s grand final, has committed to City until June 2024.

“You always have that one club in your career where it just feels like home,” said Maclaren, who has scored 59 goals in 63 appearances for City

“Melbourne City is that place for me, both on and off the pitch.

“This group is special and we’re building something unique.
“When people think of Melbourne City, we want our fans to see our strong culture, enjoy our style of attacking football and to celebrate with us when we win trophies. We work hard every day to achieve this.

“For the fans, when I hear you chant my name, it motivates me to score. I feel very lucky, I’m a proud Melbourne boy who gets to represent this great football club.”

Jamie Maclaren has extended is stay at Melbourne City. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

Jamie Maclaren has extended is stay at Melbourne City. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images

The re-signing of Maclaren, the A-League’s Golden Boot, is a further boost for City after the recent retention of Andrew Nabbout and the signing of another Socceroos attacker, Mat Leckie.

City’s director of football Michael Petrillo said Maclaren was a “massive influence on the pitch” and a “fantastic leader in the dressing-room”.

“We are so pleased to be able to finalise a long-term contract with Jamie and to be able to do it so quickly shows his passion for the club, his hometown and the fans,” Petrillo said.

Edited by Tony999

11 minutes ago, Embee said:

Leckie - Maclaren - Nabbout.

All locked in for the next 3 years. Has anybody else in the league ever had a front three of that ability locked in for that period of time?

Beginning of a dynasty, one hopes.

• Like 2

“Melbourne City is that place for me, both on and off the pitch.

“This group is special and we’re building something unique.
“When people think of Melbourne City, we want our fans to see our strong culture, enjoy our style of attacking football and to celebrate with us when we win trophies. We work hard every day to achieve this.

“For the fans, when I hear you chant my name, it motivates me to score. I feel very lucky, I’m a proud Melbourne boy who gets to represent this great football club.”

These words are a thing of beauty - Jamie, you are a legend already!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

A very sensible young man. https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/press-conference-jamie-maclaren-23062021

I particularly like the phrase - "They all sound good on paper" when referring to places from which he had interest or offers.

That was one of the better footballer interviews I’ve seen. Clearly loving his time at City.

As a number of us have speculated, now that he’s been around the block a few times, he knows that “the big move” might not be “the best move”. There’s a lot to be said for staying where you’re happy.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

That was one of the better footballer interviews I’ve seen. Clearly loving his time at City.

As a number of us have speculated, now that he’s been around the block a few times, he knows that “the big move” might not be “the best move”. There’s a lot to be said for staying where you’re happy.

forward that to Arzani

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Was pretty amazing listening to Jamie just be “one of the boys” on a fan podcast. I get he must have been going nuts with boredom in detention but even so. 
What I gleaned from everything he said is how on board with City he is.  He’s not running out media training key phrases, he genuinely loves the club, genuinely loves the fans. He’s on board for the long haul and wants it to be a great football club and is prepared to do what it takes to get us there.

(He’s not the only one who comes across like this, Jamo certainly does and Nabbout treats the club and fans like people who took him in when he got released from prison (which seems a fair analogy))

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Was pretty amazing listening to Jamie just be “one of the boys” on a fan podcast. I get he must have been going nuts with boredom in detention but even so. 
What I gleaned from everything he said is how on board with City he is.  He’s not running out media training key phrases, he genuinely loves the club, genuinely loves the fans. He’s on board for the long haul and wants it to be a great football club and is prepared to do what it takes to get us there.

(He’s not the only one who comes across like this, Jamo certainly does and Nabbout treats the club and fans like people who took him in when he got released from prison (which seems a fair analogy))

Thought the same.  Awesome to see a player in any professional team sport be so candid, and so giving of their time (yes, lockdown). 

We're lucky to have him.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 26/08/2021 at 7:20 PM, IssySG said:

PFA Player of the Year. How did this man not get a sniff in the Johnny Warren top 3?

And Metcalfe also there - winner of Harry Kewell Medal.

Benchmark club...

Image deleted

Edited by jw1739

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And Metcalfe also there - winner of Harry Kewell Medal.

Benchmark club...

image.png.1c15236ae4d02d528e118339c23af81b.png

+ Ellie Carpenter with the women’s double. I’m of the opinion her relatively short stint in Melbourne played a huge part in her skyrocketing success 

39 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I just noticed that Grant is still on the list.

He's the only one. Still a few ex-City players there.

I hadn't realised that Denis Genreau is now with Toulouse In France Ligue 2.

I think players not wanting to both travel and do quarantine is fully understandable.

• 3 weeks later...