Melbourne Football

Jamie Maclaren

TheStig

56 minutes ago, Harrison said:

A decent Championship team is not beyond him. I hope it happens for his sake. I hope it doesn’t for ours. 

Aren’t you afraid that the technical level in the championship is way higher for such a key position? He’s played on lower levels in Scotland and Germany but wasn’t deemed good enough. Genuinely interest to hear what you believe has changed between now and 3 years ago?

A good first touch and be able to hold onto the ball is so important in most other leagues. In our A league you can stuff up every ball you get without consequences, score a tap in last minute and you are a God! A new team will not be so patient as he’s proven nothing yet.

Jamie just needs to stay here and sign for life and get a statue outside AAMI park!

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Aren’t you afraid that the technical level in the championship is way higher for such a key position? He’s played on lower levels in Scotland and Germany but wasn’t deemed good enough. Genuinely interest to hear what you believe has changed between now and 3 years ago?

A good first touch and be able to hold onto the ball is so important in most other leagues. In our A league you can stuff up every ball you get without consequences, score a tap in last minute and you are a God! A new team will not be so patient as he’s proven nothing yet.

Jamie just needs to stay here and sign for life and get a statue outside AAMI park!

Goalscoring (the ability to finish and be in the right spots) takes you a long way. I agree he’s limited but plenty of non technical forwards make it in the Championship. 

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1

I also think that JMac is far more well-rounded as a player now than he was when he joined us too. His aerial ability has gone from non-existent to adequate, and whilst its still not necessarily a strength, he grown far more in terms of assists and general play this season imo.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think you may be underestimating the Championship. 

I’m not, I’ve watched some recently and I don’t think it’s too much of a step up for him. It’s the pace of the game that looks like the biggest issue. Not just ball movement and player speed but speed of thought and interplay. But my guess is that Maclaren could adapt. But he’d need a bit of time and a few chances.

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Whilst I agree with your post, I think the circumstances in which it could work out for him is if he is played as a second striker and is paired with a proper number 9. This would allow him to not have to challenge for the ball as much (something he doesn't do as much as I would like) and would be able to receive those flick ons etc. Which is something I think his style of play is suited to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Have to say the wording, and the absence of an exclamation mark, isn't exactly positive. "Update on his future?" If it was an extension wouldn't it be something like "Exciting news about our top striker!"

The image used of him waving, as if to say goodbye, imo does not bode well.

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

unless the FB admin is trolling us all

We can only hope...

Maybe they chose it because he is holding up five fingers* and this is a hint at the number of years he has extended his contract.

*including his thumb.

In all seriousness, at almist 28, if he is going to make a move overseas to europe it really does have to be now.

I don't know why he would risk moving one year out from a world cup, unless say he was going to Celtic and AP has essentially guaranteed him game time.

7 hours ago, haz said:

Inb4 early retirement because he earned millions from crypto currency. 

6 hours ago, malloy said:

We can only hope...

Maybe they chose it because he is holding up five fingers* and this is a hint at the number of years he has extended his contract.

*including his thumb.

I think it’s a combination of these two ideas. The five (including thumb) fingers indicates he made 5 million from cryptos (possibly 50 though, it’s not clear) and hence he’s retiring to spend more time doing the same.