Melbourne Football

Jamie Maclaren

TheStig

2 minutes ago, citypool said:

This bloke is going to a club legend and an Australian legend. The club needs to make him the face of the club on billboards, buses, Ads and more.

he can be our lance franklin or who ever the best afl player is now. Put him on tv and get word out. 

Sorry mate, can't afford it. If the ESL thing came off then maybe we could...

In all seriousness they clearly try to make him a big part of our marketing but marketing is expensive. The more records he breaks, the more the media will report on him and his name will be more widely known. That stuff is free.

He's the guy we need to market though. Let's hope he scores some goals for the Socceroos so people respect his accomplishments in this league.

• Like 1

At this point, Melbourne City's Jamie Maclarenattempting to pretend that his scintillating 2020-21 form won't attract interest from overseas would be silly. So he's not.

Though goalless in City's 3-2 win over Brisbane Roar, Maclaren's 22 goals in 20 games in 2020-21 represent a hitherto unmatched level of lethality across the history of the A-League. On his own, the Sunbury-raised attacker's individual attacking output is five greater than the combined sum of every Newcastle Jetsplayer.

Maclaren's closest individual challenger -- Macarthur FC's Matt Derbyshire -- sits on just 11 goals, so the City star looms as not just a nigh-unbackable favourite to secure a third A-League Golden Boot, but also as odds on to shatter Bobo's record of 27 goals in a season.

Inevitably, these levels of production lead to speculation and conjecture about the prospect of a move overseas, especially for a player ostensibly entering their prime like the 27-year-old Maclaren.

"I want to make clear that I'm very happy at Melbourne City and enjoying my football -- which is the key part," Maclaren told ESPN.

Nonetheless, with 12 months remaining on his City contract, the Socceroo spearhead acknowledges that he's approaching a critical juncture in his playing career: the subject of if he stays or if he goes at the forefront of it.

"I think it's going to be an interesting period," he said. "I'll sit down with my agent whenever the season does end and really analyse things and assess.

"You always have that sort of ambition to test yourself and have new challenges. But I've still got 12 months left on my contract at City and who knows what happens?

"But goals bring interest. Goals bring offers. And right now that's all I can control -- my performances for this club.

"You'd have to ask Melbourne City [for specifics on offers that have arrived already]. I'm a player. For me, any offers that come in go through them.

"There's always interest, there's always offers. I'm not going to sit here and say there's not. But until Melbourne City find a club or find an offer that's deemed worthy of losing me, then that's up to them.

"Paddy [Dominguez] is my agent, and he's had my best interests for the best part of 10 years. He's just basically said to me 'stay on this path, keep scoring goals and whether you do end up extending and staying at Melbourne City or move on, goals bring those sort of moments.'

"But at the same time, I've got a big challenge here and my sole focus is making sure that City has silverware at the end of this season and that we just carry on the way we're doing, playing some great football.

"I think my performances will inevitably make decisions for people."

Should he indeed take up a position in the shop window in coming months, Maclaren's movement, or non-movement, should make for illuminating viewing.

If available, he would be up for grabs after what might be the best offensive season in A-League history delivered while still in his 20s. His signature would ostensibly only become more valuable should he continue his goal-scoring form in a Socceroos shirt at coming World Cup qualifiers.

How much of a fee such a resume demands would provide significant insight into international perceptions of the A-League in 2020-21. Money talks.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

In short, gonski for next season.

IMO JMac is just being honest, realistic and stating the obvious. Clubs are always looking around for players, and agents are always contacting clubs making them aware of the players they manage. I recall John Didulica (when with Heart) saying that offers of players came in every week. He's in the prime of his career and he has to do the best that he can for himself.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO JMac is just being honest, realistic and stating the obvious. Clubs are always looking around for players, and agents are always contacting clubs making them aware of the players they manage. I recall John Didulica (when with Heart) saying that offers of players came in every week. He's in the prime of his career and he has to do the best that he can for himself.

Absolutely, a bloke scoing a goal per game will be a target, and the only question he has to answer is what's his level?

To Me in the right team he can go up a level, but I think the big 5 leagues are beyond him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Absolutely, a bloke scoing a goal per game will be a target, and the only question he has to answer is what's his level?

To Me in the right team he can go up a level, but I think the big 5 leagues are beyond him.

I find the Jmac talks interesting, here’s my personal take, critical but very pleased with him here at City.

Second tier Europe was above him too. Middle East, SE Asia or Japan perhaps. Basic striker footballs skills in setting up play, ball control are a big focus in most countries, I think he lacks slightly in those.

Don’t get me wrong but for people who watch all our games, on paper the amount of goals scored is impressive but is it also impressive for scouts when they look at the conversion rate (we seen the Brisbane like games before) and amount chances missed (perhaps it is not as lethal as many write)? It’s also our team who mostly creates these chances for him. The off games are usually smashed in with many braces in other games which is also a quality.

I honestly think our league is the right level for him, he can earn marquee wages here but I would also understand if he wants to try overseas one more time.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I find the Jmac talks interesting, here’s my personal take, critical but very pleased with him here at City.

Second tier Europe was above him too. Middle East, SE Asia or Japan perhaps. Basic striker footballs skills in setting up play, ball control are a big focus in most countries, I think he lacks slightly in those.

Don’t get me wrong but for people who watch all our games, on paper the amount of goals scored is impressive but is it also impressive for scouts when they look at the conversion rate (we seen the Brisbane game before) and amount chances missed (perhaps it is not as lethal as many write)? It’s also our team who mostly creates these chances for him. The off games are usually smashed in with many braces in other games which is also a quality.

I honestly think our league is the right level for him, he can earn marquee wages here but I would also understand if he wants to try overseas one more time.

When he signed for us I remember him saying that he was happy to return home because he’d spent a while overseas and he felt like he’d given it a good shot. Even though he said that I got the impression that he was not quite satisfied with how he’d performed. Maybe I’m wrong. But I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he gave it one more crack, following in Mooy’s footsteps. Our league is an honest one but I hope he goes overseas if the offer is there and it’s a good level. Maybe a Championship side that’s pushing for promotion. That’s not beyond him. 

Asia or the Middle East for sure I reckon.

But yeah, I've half-accepted he won't be with us next season regardless and that's ok. Living in the now and enjoying this breathtaking season is what it's all about for us fans :)

15 hours ago, Jovan said:

In short, gonski for next season.

Sure sounded like it.

I’d fallen for the “Jamie is jaded by his time overseas” line, so actually I was naively just assuming he’d stay and keep knocking them in. Still hope he does of course but I think that’s the less likely outcome.

13 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Don’t get me wrong but for people who watch all our games, on paper the amount of goals scored is impressive but is it also impressive for scouts when they look at the conversion rate (we seen the Brisbane like games before) and amount chances missed (perhaps it is not as lethal as many write)? It’s also our team who mostly creates these chances for him. The off games are usually smashed in with many braces in other games which is also a quality.

Agree with a lot of what you've said, but I think he'd be mad to not have another crack overseas. He probably won't get another chance while in his prime.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, marn11 said:

Agree with a lot of what you've said, but I think he'd be mad to not have another crack overseas. He probably won't get another chance while in his prime.

It would be good to see if the City group can keep him onboard, 2 years or so at a sister club and then return to Australia at 30.

Covid isn’t under control in most countries, so that needs to be outweighed with a young family.

My read is that hes very reluctant to do it again unless he feels hes actually going to be given a decent crack. He's not interested in going to sit on the bench or earn a good wage as a squaddie.
The other factor i think at play is that should he make a move and fall out of favour, he jeopardizes his Socceroos starting role with Qatar coming up in the next 12-18 months.
At City he is all but guaranteed of game time in a quality side, the lure of trophies and ACL and therefore it is probably the best place for him to be with the WC in mind.

Of course playing in Europe is every players dream but he needs to weigh that up v what City has to offer and how that stacks up into a World Cup year, and imo he's keeping his options open in terms of his language cos thats the smart thing to do.

IMO could go either way but if i'm a betting man im leaning (just) to thinking he'll stay here and look at a move at the conclusion of the next AL season as he prepares for the WC.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

My read is that hes very reluctant to do it again unless he feels hes actually going to be given a decent crack. He's not interested in going to sit on the bench or earn a good wage as a squaddie.
The other factor i think at play is that should he make a move and fall out of favour, he jeopardizes his Socceroos starting role with Qatar coming up in the next 12-18 months.
At City he is all but guaranteed of game time in a quality side, the lure of trophies and ACL and therefore it is probably the best place for him to be with the WC in mind.

Of course playing in Europe is every players dream but he needs to weigh that up v what City has to offer and how that stacks up into a World Cup year, and imo he's keeping his options open in terms of his language cos thats the smart thing to do.

IMO could go either way but if i'm a betting man im leaning (just) to thinking he'll stay here and look at a move at the conclusion of the next AL season.

Completely agree. And it's not all that glamourous overseas either. So-called elite sports people are essentially living in a cocoon while Covid-19 rages around them. Even if he can secure regular starts with a top club is that the quality of life that he wants?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Completely agree. And it's not all that glamourous overseas either. So-called elite sports people are essentially living in a cocoon while Covid-19 rages around them. Even if he can secure regular starts with a top club is that the quality of life that he wants?

Absolutely another key factor.
Tbh i don't think Asia and the Middle East is a lure for him at all, doesn't seem the type that's particularly driven by money to me, and in fairness he's on a pretty decent wicket here too which in likelihood will only go up if hes to stay.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Absolutely another key factor.
Tbh i don't think Asia and the Middle East is a lure for him at all, doesn't seem the type that's particularly driven by money to me, and in fairness he's on a pretty decent wicket here too which in likelihood will only go up if hes to stay.

I just hope City offers him what he's worth to keep him. 

We've never used our marquee position to lure in big ticket names, so the flipside of that is I can only hope we use it to keep our best players.

@bt50 @jw1739

All valid points!

Covid, Socceroos, starting spots.

Where do you think his level sits? Harrison mentioned top championship, I’m hesitant considering limited game time at Hibernian and Darmstad.

6 minutes ago, Nate said:

I just hope City offers him what he's worth to keep him. 

We've never used our marquee position to lure in big ticket names, so the flipside of that is I can only hope we use it to keep our best players.

This is an interesting one, we know that he’s on million dollar deal already - almost dare to say that Jmac is perhaps already the highest paid player we’ve had permanent on our books?

Edited by Mr MO

Currently on form and in the right set up, I reackon he would do well in France, Belgium, Netherlands. 

But being a foreign striker they have huge expectations and a few bad games and he could end up in a perilous situation. 

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Currently on form and in the right set up, I reackon he would do well in France, Belgium, Netherlands. 

But being a foreign striker they have huge expectations and a few bad games and he could end up in a perilous situation. 

Strikers round the keepers in those countries 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

@bt50 @jw1739

All valid points!

Where do you think his level sits? Harrison mentioned top championship, I’m hesitant considering limited game time at Hibernian and Darmstad.

This is an interesting one, we know that he’s on million dollar deal already - almost dare to say that Jmac is perhaps already the highest paid player we’ve had permanent on our books?

And would he earn any more at the level he'd likely be appropriate to in Europe? If he's League 1 or a smaller Championship club in England, I'd say not. He'd have to be at one of the big Championship clubs with serious EPL aspirations to earn more than he does here. And our sense is that he's good, but he's probably not that good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

@bt50 @jw1739

All valid points!

Really? I assumed/thought he was on about half that. Probably not a lot of scope for a pay rise here if that’s the case.

You'd think in England one of the League 1 club's being promoted might take a chance on him as they would be looking to bring on strikers a class above what they have. Hull City could afford him if Allam puts his hand in his wallet, and they've already got an Aussie in Elder. Peterborough I wouldn't think could. Sunderland and Blackpool if one of those get through the playoffs might be a chance since they already have Wright and Dougall respectively. The trouble would be Mac's wages plus a transfer fee to City

On 12/05/2021 at 1:58 PM, Imtellingyou said:

Another large soccer market and step up is MLS. I'm not sure what's the weight and importance of scoring a lot in A-league. He will need goals in the international games. 

This would be a major factor for sure. I would say MLS would be in the top 3 most likely spots for him to land. 

Covid well on the way to being controlled in the states too.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Anyone know about the “last game” rumours on Fox?

Kisnorbo said he’s not going anywhere. Just watched the pre game show and they said he’s got offers from Asia apparently. City have offered him a contract extension. 

He’s not playing next week cause he’s getting married so they were joining the dots that it could be his last game at aami park and probably will be with Socceroos 

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

What else we can say after his goals for us. Just a note that his poor touch in the game build up will make difficult to perform in the more competitive leagues. 

That was very noticeable last night, it’s not something which improves a lot at his age. He would still be in Europe with a better touch and the poacher skills he already possess. That’s why I believe this league is the right level for him and he can become a legend with us. Alternatively of course are leagues below ours who can offer more money - stay in within the CFG if possible.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, citypool said:

Zappers reckons jmac has offers in Asia 

Unless the offers are from Japan or Korea and even then if I was Jmac I wouldn't be jumping at them. I would ask the club if they can match the dollar$ being offered otherwise would consider the move... 

6 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Unless the offers are from Japan or Korea and even then if I was Jmac I wouldn't be jumping at them. I would ask the club if they can match the dollar$ being offered otherwise would consider the move... 

I was thinking that jmacs agent is trying to get more $$ out of the club which is very fair! 

19 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Kisnorbo said he’s not going anywhere. Just watched the pre game show and they said he’s got offers from Asia apparently. City have offered him a contract extension. 

He’s not playing next week cause he’s getting married so they were joining the dots that it could be his last game at aami park and probably will be with Socceroos 

:hkpalm:

10 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

TBH I think he'd be unwise to leave us. Saturday's match proved that he hasn't got the touch to make it overseas. He'll be 28 soon, a proven player and top striker at this level, popular where he is, playing for the Premier club in the country, and representing his country at an international level. Soon he'll be married and have additional responsibilities. He can stay with us for the rest of his career as a player and then go on with the club in another capacity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TBH I think he'd be unwise to leave us. Saturday's match proved that he hasn't got the touch to make it overseas. He'll be 28 soon, a proven player and top striker at this level, popular where he is, playing for the Premier club in the country, and representing his country at an international level. Soon he'll be married and have additional responsibilities. He can stay with us for the rest of his career as a player and then go on with the club in another capacity.

I personally think he can make it overseas, but in saying that i agree with all your other points. It seems a crazy risk to take with a world cup coming up and this little corner of the world at your feet.
Hope he stays forever and goes down as the biggest legend this club ever has (if hes not that already haha)

Edited by bt50

26 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I personally think he can make it overseas, but in saying that i agree with all your other points. It seems a crazy risk to take with a world cup coming up and this little corner of the world at your feet.
Hope he stays forever and goes down as the biggest legend this club ever has (if hes not that already haha)

A decent Championship team is not beyond him. I hope it happens for his sake. I hope it doesn’t for ours. 

For me personally if he moves on would be unfortunate, but I would be really excited also about the possibility of better player, and this is no disrespect to JMAC, but we are now going to be looked at as champions and 2, with 1 guaranteed ACL campaigns ahead.