Melbourne Football

Jamie Maclaren

TheStig

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Look we are only talking about this trivia because there are no (not many) games on. It’s basically the silly season now.

My problem with current players is that they may be more sensitive to current relationships and events, so censor what they say, rather than be full and frank.

Mind you boundary commentators are generally pointless anyway.

Are you suggesting that Slater, Bosnich should not be censored????

20 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Ha.

sorry I meant the players self censor as they don’t want to fire up rivals and various other reasons.

Quite so. If you're commentating on a team that you are going to be playing the following week then it's pretty bloody obvious that you are going to moderate your comments both about players and coaching staff.

I don't care about what the AFL or NRL do - I think it's cheap and tacky for football. We need to raise the bar, not lower it.

• Like 1

He's not being asked for his hot takes about upcoming opposition. 

In an Australian sporting coverage landscape where commentary and those chosen to do it across virtually all sports is fucking atrocious I generally think that having someone who is a current player and can give insight that isn't 10+ years old has been the one thing we have done well. I've never heard any current player in any of the codes put in an awkward spot by having to commentate on something, if anything they usually take the side of the player that has stuffed up and explain the dilemna they faced and why it was hard. 

This country is so hell bent on hanging out any sportsman to dry the minute they steer away from scripted answers about "taking it one week at a time" so to actually hear interesting stuff from some of them is both refreshing and needed imo. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm dead serious when I say this: after last night, Maclaren must be part of the conversation alongside Mooy and Fornaroli when regarding this club's greatest ever player.

What a privilege to watch this man play for us. His goals/games ratio with us is almost 1:1 over the span of over 50 games which is just extraordinary.

16 minutes ago, Nate said:

I'm dead serious when I say this: after last night, Maclaren must be part of the conversation alongside Mooy and Fornaroli when regarding this club's greatest ever player.

What a privilege to watch this man play for us. His goals/games ratio with us is almost 1:1 over the span of over 50 games which is just extraordinary.

Only thing Bruno has over Jmac is the FFA Cup win, Bruno’s goal record is miles off what Jmac has so in my books I regard Jmac in higher regard. He’s a Melbourne boy too which matters too.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nate said:

Purely on statistics he's ahead of Bruno.

FWIW his interview is worth listening to. He's a very articulate young man.

4 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Only thing Bruno has over Jmac is the FFA Cup win, Bruno’s goal record is miles off what Jmac has so in my books I regard Jmac in higher regard. He’s a Melbourne boy too which matters too.

Born in Sunbury according to Wikipedia.

1 hour ago, Nate said:

1 hour ago, Deluka said:

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Purely on statistics he's ahead of Bruno.

FWIW his interview is worth listening to. He's a very articulate young man.

Born in Sunbury according to Wikipedia.

as of last night, i now believe he is well ahead of Bruno - it's between JMac and Mooy.  

scary to think that he he nearly has his ton (2 goals shy) and is only 27 (turns 28 at the end of July).  should he choose to stay in Australia, he could easily smash the a league scoring record.

Edited by mattyh001

Just now, Missing_Moy said:

If City are serious need to keep giving him a 7 figure salary for the next 3-4 years!

JMAC is already the highest paid squad member and yesterday he did what a million dollar marquee strikers should do every week - put them away! Being a Melbourne boy we need to do everything we can to keep him long term not only for performance but also for fan connection/engagement.

40 minutes ago, haz said:

Not surprising that transfer rumours are starting.

IMO we need to pull out the stops to keep the present team together as much as we can. JMac is maturing as a player, getting involved with lead-up play and pretty deadly inside the 6-yard box. His goal from Tilio's cross was an absolute peach.

Surely he is going to be picked to play for the Socceroos WC qualifiers in Kuwait, scheduled for 3-15 June. Presumably the national team trains at least a week beforehand, with COVID and quarantine requirements in Kuwait and Australia, that means he leaves in mid-May at the latest. So we lose our best player for the last few games of the season, and the finals. This could seriously cost us two trophies 😌

22 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

I'm not sure that he's absolutely necessary for those Socceroos games. 

Even so, he'll be picked/want to be picked. 

Taggart has completely fallen away at club level, leaving Maclaren and Juric as the only probable starting strikers imo - and we all know who's in better form there. 

8 hours ago, Nate said:

Even so, he'll be picked/want to be picked. 

Taggart has completely fallen away at club level, leaving Maclaren and Juric as the only probable starting strikers imo - and we all know who's in better form there. 

Tomi juric won’t get picked if anything his brother deni is in good form.

I think ruka and maclaren will lead the line