Melbourne Football

Jamie Maclaren

TheStig

1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

Jamie is great clear cut chances fonisher.  Last night we needed him to do it on his own against Marrone. He's starting Socceroos isn't he.

Jesus, this is now getting ridiculous the fallout from last night 

He has do scored 12 in 8 for club and Country, he isn't going to score every game. He is the absolute least of any concerns we have 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Would’ve lost him for the international window again so not the worse timing, also could stop a move in the January window 

Is that all worth not scoring goals? Not anything can be done about it but still.

Last season without Bruno and now with Jamie both seasons no adequate replacement striker in the squad. Or least we are showing very little trust in Najjar, just like last season we end up playing Wales up front. He must be banging them in at training.

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Is that all worth not scoring goals? Not anything can be done about it but still.

Last season without Bruno and now with Jamie both seasons no adequate replacement striker in the squad. Or least we are showing very little trust in Najjar, just like last season we end up playing Wales up front. He must be banging them in at training.

Obviously not but can’t stop injuries happening. Unless we had a better backup option maybe he wouldn’t have played 3 games in 7 days 

You can't have your cake an eat it.

We are in a capped League. You can't have a like player for backup in every position, especially striker which is arguably the most expensive position. 

We have good balance at CB and midfield we are little lighter in wide areas both at fullback and wings, but we have enough the only real position we limited is at #9. 

Now this is where Mr Warmfarts needs to find a solution, I don't think he trusts Najjar fully and tbf neither do I but he deserves a crack in the next few weeks.

The other option is changing his formation and shuffling things with more senior players leading the line.

Either way I see it as a good opportunity to find goals from different players,  if we were in this position in round 25 we would be cooked,  we now have a real chance to develop a new way and if successfull long term will make us a much better team.

Worst case scenario we flounder around and struggle for 4 or 5 games waiting for JMAC to return. 

But to blame the club for not having a Socceroos #9 quality backup is just fanciful. The only way you could would be to have a mid 30s player on his last year as a pro, which we tried previously with Timmy. I personally prefer to have a raw untried youth player or 2 instead. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, citypool said:

The man is killing it so I think we need to talk about what happens when admins clubs come after him in January? How do you say no in Korean and Japanese?

CFG will want to keep him in the family. Hence I doubt he would even consider leaving before the season ends. Unless a $10m+ offer comes in CFG won't blink.

• Like 2

I'm one of those who got Jamie completely wrong. I admit it. He's 26, probably at the peak of his career. He needs to balance up two further seasons with us as a marquee player, and almost certain to start every week, against going elsewhere and having to fight for playing minutes.

I say try to keep him. We need to build our club, not just see it as a player factory.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Love that second goal he scored. Made it look easy, but to spin like that and to put it in the corner was actually very difficult. 
The bloke is on fire.

I actually think the most skillful thing he did in that goal was what I would call "Cahill move" and that is getting your markers to forget about you. It requires alot of skill, experience and timing to choose the right time to peel off and have the defenders forget about you.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, malloy said:

I actually think the most skillful thing he did in that goal was what I would call "Cahill move" and that is getting your markers to forget about you. It requires alot of skill, experience and timing to choose the right time to peel off and have the defenders forget about you.

So true.
Creating space, being in the right spot; these are things that are the mark of the master striker (&are so fucking hard), yet completely ignored by the football ignoramus.

Edited by Shahanga