Jamie Maclaren

TheStig

Jamie Maclaren to debut for Melbourne City against Sydney FC

David Davutovic, Herald Sun

an hour ago

Subscriber only

Boost for Corica as Sydney FC bag Gucci

Ryan, Mooy return to EPL action

Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren will be unveiled as a Melbourne City player in the next 36 hours, and could debut in this weekend’s mega Round 17 clash.

Maclaren and a second visa signing, a versatile visa forward who’s played in England, are expected to arrive on Wednesday and could also be unleashed for Sunday’s six-pointer away to Sydney FC.

City Football Group have not ruled out adding a third attacker, as City coach Warren Joyce attempts to beef-up his undermanned attack ahead of the Thursday night’s A-League transfer deadline — his last chance to bolster before finals.

Maclaren would be a huge boost at a key point in the season. (Francois Nel/Getty Images)

Having played without a recognised striker since Bruno Fornaroli was banished three months ago after a sensational fallout with Joyce before Scot Michael O’Halloran was released, the coach is eager to unleash his new-look frontline after waiting patiently for reinforcements.

Maclaren returned to Europe to tie up loose ends after starting all five Asian Cup games for the Socceroos, the last of which was last Saturday’s 1-0 loss to hosts United Arab Emirates.

City’s attempts to offload Fornaroli overseas have proved fruitless, with lukewarm interest failing to materialise into concrete offers.

Birighitti has been pushed out by Galekovic’s form. (Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)

Fornaroli must be released by Thursday if City want to bring in another marquee player, although they appear to have safeguarded themselves by negotiating a back-ended deal with Maclaren, ensuring he’s inside the salary cap this season.

Maclaren, 25, will effectively replace defender/midfielder Osama Malik on City’s 23-man roster.

City would have to release players if they plan to make any more January signings.

Frustrated back-up goalkeeper Mark Birighitti has told City that he wants to leave, but the club are standing firm.

10 WAYS TO FEED THE MIND AS YOU AGE

SPONSORED CONTENT

Socceroos-capped Birighitti wants to play and feels that he should be released for the opportunity to play, after he rejected offers from other A-League clubs to sign on the eve of the season.

Play VideoPlay

0:00

/

0:00

Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

Fullscreen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Not convinced he is the answer. My Claren has always been a finisher and we are a team that doesn’t really make anything that needs to be finished, but we will see. Ominous words from Sash Ognaovski. ‘If he issnt scoring goals he gives you nothing’

• Like 2

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Last season it was McCormack, the deal wasn't done and we were left without Brandan and McCormack. If we can't get the Maclaren deal done them again we go into the second half of the season without our full quotas. 

One would have assumed with being run by one of the biggest and richest sporting entities in the world these deals just get done or maybe because of this fact these deals don't get done because the selling club wants more because of the buyers cash. Whatever the case we get screwed over and end up with squat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Last season it was McCormack, the deal wasn't done and we were left without Brandan and McCormack. If we can't get the Maclaren deal done them again we go into the second half of the season without our full quotas. 

One would have assumed with being run by one of the biggest and richest sporting entities in the world these deals just get done or maybe because of this fact these deals don't get done because the selling club wants more because of the buyers cash. Whatever the case we get screwed over and end up with squat.

It's so frustrating, isn't it? We just want things to happen.

I do think however that the circumstances around both are very different. Villa were just being dicks with McCormack whilst Hibs are now in a bit of turmoil themselves with their coach leaving suddenly.

8 minutes ago, rass said:

It's so frustrating, isn't it? We just want things to happen.

I do think however that the circumstances around both are very different. Villa were just being dicks with McCormack whilst Hibs are now in a bit of turmoil themselves with their coach leaving suddenly.

Very true. But the end result looks like it will be exactly the same. 

Hibs are obviously acting in way to protect their own interests. They are light up top with 2 other strikers so if they can't get a replacement then he will probably stay and those German dudes are probably trying to get some cash back for what they see as a bad investment, all up it leaves us exposed with No options which ultimately is all down to own making and should have been resolved months ago. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

ultimately is all down to own making and should have been resolved months ago. 

The key point. Once Joyce and Fornaroli couldn't resolve their spat it should have been resolved promptly by the people above them.

No-one other than the senior management of Melbourne City, and people in City Football Group, is to blame.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The key point. Once Joyce and Fornaroli couldn't resolve their spat it should have been resolved promptly by the people above them.

No-one other than the senior management of Melbourne City, and people in City Football Group, is to blame.

Exactly right.

So what is the actual deadline? Is it midnight January 31st European time.

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Exactly right.

So what is the actual deadline? Is it midnight January 31st European time.

I think the Australian window closes at midnight 31st January our time, and my understanding is that it is the window of the country to which the player is going that counts. Unfortunately that's before the window closes in Europe, so Hibernian and Darmstadt could have less time than they think they have. But you would think that CFG would have someone in close touch with both those clubs if they really want Maclaren here.

We have about 38 hours to get this deal - and any other deal we're thinking about - done.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think the Australian window closes at midnight 31st January our time, and my understanding is that it is the window of the country to which the player is going that counts. Unfortunately that's before the window closes in Europe, so Hibernian and Darmstadt could have less time than they think they have. But you would think that CFG would have someone in close touch with both those clubs if they really want Maclaren here.

We have about 38 hours to get this deal - and any other deal we're thinking about - done.

So we should know by 10am Thursday. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

So we should know by 10am Thursday. 😀

Well, the club is presently busy with PR about a women's match and the arithmetic chance of us reaching the W-League Grand Final. Which is close to zero. We do have to get priorities right, you know.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, the club is presently busy with PR about a women's match and the arithmetic chance of us reaching the W-League Grand Final. Which is close to zero. We do have to get priorities right, you know.

Surely it's better to announce the players today (if possible) so that the women's match tomorrow has clear air?

I'm clutching at straws here. 

Nothing new here but this whole saga surely one of the low points in our shitty little history. How the fcuk Joyce can get away with acting as a little dictator under the guise of bringing  about cultural change is beyond me.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/30/fornaroli-exile-to-continue-as-city-eye-a-league-return-for-maclaren

Fornaroli exile to continue as City eye A-League return for Maclaren

Australian Associated Press

Wed 30 Jan 2019 13.49 AEDT

Wantaway striker Bruno Fornaroli appears certain to be marooned at Melbourne City beyond Thursday’s transfer deadline with no softening of the A-League club stance towards the Uruguayan.

Though Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren is likely to sign in the next 24 hours with City hopeful of another attacker joining him, Fornaroli’s path back to the first team appears in rubble.

And there’s no likely exit route for the goal machine, deemed surplus to requirements by coach Warren Joyce as the English boss implements his high-stakes cultural change program. [:(]

A number of A-League clubs have expressed interest in the 31-year-old Fornaroli but City haven’t entertained off-loading him to any title rivals.

Without a last-minute Asian option presenting itself, Fornaroli is likely to spend the next five months training at Bundoora, picking up his salary and waiting for the off-season to depart as a free agent. [Great, let's waste his talent sitting in the stand on match day when we could have him playing even if we decide not to extend his contract at the end of this season. What genius suit at HQ reckons this is a great use of Bruno's talent and his pay packet?]

Fornaroli’s insistence on staying in Australia, where he hopes to base his family for the long-term, has been another sticking point.

While City fans have been dismayed at the sidelining of a club favourite, the imminent arrival of Maclaren should allay their concerns [please, my concerns are not allayed :hkpalm:].

Maclaren has privately told people he expects to sign for City, with upheaval at current club Hibernian the only barrier to his signature.

The Scottish outfit have suspended coach Neil Lennon and are expected to part ways with their coach this week - though City still see the deal as likely.

Given Fornaroli and Ritchie de Laet are occupying City’s marquee positions this season, Maclaren could sign on a deal in which he plays this season under the cap.

Maclaren, 25, managed 40 goals in his two A-League seasons for Brisbane Roar and fits Joyce’s desired profile for a hardworking goalscorer. [Oh FMD, so better to have a hard working striker than a mercurial wizard 'a la' El Tuna - will this bullshit ever stop?]

Should the striker - who started each match in Australia’s failed Asian Cup defence, scoring once - land in his hometown with similar scoring form, he could transform City into serious championship contenders.

City are hopeful the match-ready Maclaren can be rushed into the squad for Sunday’s trip to Sydney FC.

Last week’s departure of Osama Malik, which came off the back of Scottish winger Michael O’Halloran’s return to the UK, means they are also in the market for a second signing.

While the clock is ticking on the possibility, City officials are looking at possible arrivals through the loan market.

Edited by HEARTinator

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Well look at the bright side, If McClaren doesnt join then thats probably the season and therefore Joyce gone :up:

Joyce will be gone anyway and our season not far behind him at this rate. That he can have a falling out with our only recognised striker just 5 games into the season is simply unfathomable.

Edited by HEARTinator

Joyce isn't alone in this. All the line managers above him are equally guilty, because they are sitting on their hands and allowing him to do what he's doing. That disgusts me even more than Joyce himself.

Cultural change my arse. He just takes a dislike to a player for some reason or other - now let's see how many so far - Kilkenny, Brandan, Jakobsen, Budzinski, Fornaroli, Caceres, O'Halloran - and uses his "commitment on the training track" excuse to make life sufficiently unpleasant for them that they leave.

Hmm. Those seven players are quite a nice little nucleus of a good squad...

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Joyce isn't alone in this. All the line managers above him are equally guilty, because they are sitting on their hands and allowing him to do what he's doing. That disgusts me even more than Joyce himself.

Cultural change my arse. He just takes a dislike to a player for some reason or other - now let's see how many so far - Kilkenny, Brandan, Jakobsen, Budzinski, Fornaroli, Caceres, O'Halloran - and uses his "commitment on the training track" excuse to make life sufficiently unpleasant for them that they leave.

Caceres was crud before Joyce and after - I wouldn't have him.

Seems like Hibs will only release if they get a replacement before the window shuts. They have made one bid for a player and that was rejected. So If the deal is hinging on.... Hibs signing someone then Hibs and Dalmstart coming to agreement to cancelling the loan deal, and then us have to get our paper work in place all by midnight tomorrow? Lol good luck

15 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Seems like Hibs will only release if they get a replacement before the window shuts. They have made one bid for a player and that was rejected. So If the deal is hinging on.... Hibs signing someone then Hibs and Dalmstart coming to agreement to cancelling the loan deal, and then us have to get our paper work in place all by midnight tomorrow? Lol good luck

The paper work will all be done. Its just a process of getting each document signed and lodged in order. Would prob take 10 minutes.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think he had a disliking for Jakobsen, he was captain last season and he couldn't get his body right for a full season. On current form I don't think jakobsen would get a game in front of Bart or Delbridge at the moment either. 

I think this is one call Joyce got correct 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neio said:

I don't think he had a disliking for Jakobsen, he was captain last season and he couldn't get his body right for a full season. On current form I don't think jakobsen would get a game in front of Bart or Delbridge at the moment either. 

I think this is one call Joyce got correct 

You're quite wrong about that you know. In 2017/18 Jakobsen played in 26 of the 27 regular league matches. It was only in Round 27 and the two finals matches that he was injured.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You're quite wrong about that you know. In 2017/18 Jakobsen played in 26 of the 27 regular league matches. It was only in Round 27 and the two finals matches that he was injured.

He was constantly playing injured though. In numerous games the bench would always query him on how he was travelling and he would always signal back to say I can push through for now.

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

2 minutes ago, malloy said:

He was constantly playing injured though. In numerous games the bench would always query him on how he was travelling and he would always signal back to say I can push through for now.

And he has been injuries twice this season so right call IMO

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/jamie-maclaren-leaves-hibs-after-club-terminates-loan-1-4865767

"The Edinburgh outfit this evening completed the formalities at their end to let Maclaren go and the player should now complete his move to Melbourne using a FIFA loophole despite the Australian transfer window being closed."

Please explain?????

Edited by HEARTinator

23 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/jamie-maclaren-leaves-hibs-after-club-terminates-loan-1-4865767

"The Edinburgh outfit this evening completed the formalities at their end to let Maclaren go and the player should now complete his move to Melbourne using a FIFA loophole despite the Australian transfer window being closed."

?????

Presumably something to do with the time zones and the definition of "free agent."

The latest tweets coming from various sources in Edinburgh say he's free to join us and will do so.

Edited by jw1739

29 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Please explain?????

No doubt something that will now be closed to us after this transfer window, but every other club can use it 

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2019 at 9:04 PM, jw1739 said:

Herald Sun seems convinced:

20 minutes ago.
image.png.be1a813dacc09128eb38f899c12bcd50.png

On 1/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, rass said:

Davutovic has now changed his tune, problems with the release...

Screenshot_20190130-091340.png

Screenshot_20190130-091404.png

In fairness, it looks like the sub-editor took a bit of creative licence on the headline with Davutovic's piece in the first. He was a few hours off the mark, but the lead paragraph is a lot iffier about Maclaren suiting up for Sunday than the headline.