Melbourne Football

Round 6: City V Newcastle Plane @ "Lucky you're with AAMI" park 7pm

xXCiTyZeNXx

23 hours ago, jw1739 said:

2. There appears to be no conflict resolution process at the club - this is only the latest in a long line of similar stand-offs with players.

There is a conflict resolution process, it's not selecting the player and then transferring the player out of the franchise, unfortunately, that's the only process

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

At least we'll get a few more journos to the game

Flair, fun, culture and commitment: can Joyce find the balance at City

1 December 2018 — 4:00pm

Melbourne City's small but frustrated fan group want the three Fs. Fun, Flair and, chiefly, Fornaroli.

The club's equally frustrated coach, Warren Joyce, wants the three Cs.

Culture, Courage and, most important of all, Commitment.

Fans want to see their team play with style, verve and in entertaining fashion: they also want to see players who are dedicated to the cause, brave when they go about their business and play the game in the right way.

Joyce would endorse all of those aims, and insists he is trying to instil them in a club which has sometimes played with some of those qualities, occasionally with others, but rarely with all at the same time.

The odd one out in that list, of course, is Fornaroli, the Uruguayan striker.

Nicknamed El Tuna – the prickly pear – Fornaroli has been at the centre of an ever-escalating row over the past nine days which is threatening to engulf all other aspects of debate about City.

The South American is City's leading goal scorer, their talisman and one of, if not the, most popular players ever to have appeared for the club.

He was nowhere to be seen last weekend when Joyce's team went to Brisbane for a difficult away trip to take on Roar, a game in which they had a lot of possession but looked toothless up front without Fornaroli, eventually losing 2-0.

Media, fans and pundits alike were nonplussed by his no-show, especially as he had scored a lovely curling shot from distance against Wellington a week earlier.

Immediately the rumour mill went into overdrive. This, it was said, was another to add to a list of bust-ups that Joyce had had with big name players or foreigners (Tim Cahill, Fernando Brandan, Neil Kilkenny) who were subsequently moved on.

Joyce has been unapologetic about Fornaroli's omission and has been a messy week for Joyce and the club in the lead-up to Sunday's home clash with Newcastle as the Fornaroli issue has dominated debate and headlines.

In terms of the pressure on Joyce, that is a game which now looks to be a lot more high-profile than it otherwise might have been given that the Englishman has once again left the Uruguayan out of the match day squad.

The coach has, in his way, tried to shield the player by refusing to spell out exactly why he has left him out, saying only on several occasions that if a player lacks the right commitment he cannot be included in the first team.

The problem with that is that people, including fans, talk, draw their own conclusions.

In the absence of any concrete evidence the disgruntled can use the fact that their best-known player has been left out without any proper explanation as a platform to air any and every other grievance they might have about the coach, the team and the club management itself – hence their threats of a protest at Sunday's game and their strident demands for Joyce's axing.

Fornaroli, it would appear, is not at an ideal playing weight, his skinfolds are poor and he hasn't trained sufficiently well enough for Joyce to put him back into the team despite his obvious talents and City's lack of proven front line strikers.

Word from within the City camp is that Fornaroli – who missed most of last season through injury – has been targeted with a lucrative deal by Sydney FC who rather fancy adding to their own striking stocks while weakening an opponent.

City, wary of offering him another big money deal before they see how he has recovered from his serious ankle injury, have yet to offer a new contract.

It is easy to see how a potentially lucrative offer might appeal to a striker who is now 31 and looking to capitalise on his earnings potential in the twilight years of his career. If that is the case, no one would blame Fornaroli for being tempted.

And it is also plausible that a player in that situation might do what he can to agitate for a move and get an early escape from his existing contract.

Joyce has polarised many of the City fans: the fact that he is English alienated some even before they knew what sort of coach he was when appointed some 18 months ago after a decade at Manchester United.

That's just how it is in Australia, where a certain section of the Australian footballing public has disdain for anything English – especially when it comes with a broad northern accent and a long playing record but never at the highest level.

He was brought in to bring a tougher, harder edge to City, and also to try to bring forward young players who could then be farmed through the City system and either sold on or loaned out to clubs within the City Football Group.

Under him City finished in their highest position in the league last season – third – had their best defensive record and, but for Melbourne Victory's shock win over Newcastle in the grand final, would have qualified for the Asian Champions League play-offs.

But the supporters want to see a team play with finesse and flair: they remember the time, not so long ago, when Aaron Mooy, Harry Novillo and Fornaroli swept all before them and City, under Dutch coach John van 't Schip, were the league's entertainers.

Joyce has somehow got to synthesise the two, find a formula – preferably including Fornaroli – which brings back the excitement of those days but retains the defensive solidity of his first season in charge.

A win over the team that denied them a grand final berth last year would be a good way to start.

But if a Fornaroli-less City still look like toothless tigers up front, expect the howls of protests and demands for change to only get louder.

15 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

That article irritates me. It makes it sound as if fans have been impatient or unrealistic. I've supported Joyce and wanted to give his new broom the benefit of the doubt. I've liked his support of youth and recognised that last season's third place was a modest step forward, albeit sometimes imperfect and frustrating. It's not merely that he has fallen out with Fornaroli that's changed my position. It's that we look way off the pace this season, and we are displaying all our worst historic habits once again. We are slow and predictable, dull, lack pace or flair, and on top of that look friable in defence. We look nowhere near winners, top three, or even top six. We've gone backwards, certainly compared to those we should measure ourselves against. 

And its not just Joyce. I also gave the CFG takeover the benefit of the doubt despite my misgivings about loss of identity, and particularly colours. And where is the red and white strip this season? Dropped like Bruno, with no explanation there either. But for all that we are solvent, this regime feels bloodless, inept, lacking in ambition and interest, and tin eared to its fan base. Losing Bruno is a symptom, albeit one which crystallises these wider concerns. Like others have said, it's not just the monkey, it's the organ grinder. Either way we're sick of the tune. 

Well spoken, your writing should be shared around!

36 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

That article irritates me. It makes it sound as if fans have been impatient or unrealistic. I've supported Joyce and wanted to give his new broom the benefit of the doubt. I've liked his support of youth and recognised that last season's third place was a modest step forward, albeit sometimes imperfect and frustrating. It's not merely that he has fallen out with Fornaroli that's changed my position. It's that we look way off the pace this season, and we are displaying all our worst historic habits once again. We are slow and predictable, dull, lack pace or flair, and on top of that look friable in defence. We look nowhere near winners, top three, or even top six. We've gone backwards, certainly compared to those we should measure ourselves against. 

And its not just Joyce. I also gave the CFG takeover the benefit of the doubt despite my misgivings about loss of identity, and particularly colours. And where is the red and white strip this season? Dropped like Bruno, with no explanation there either. But for all that we are solvent, this regime feels bloodless, inept, lacking in ambition and interest, and tin eared to its fan base. Losing Bruno is a symptom, albeit one which crystallises these wider concerns. Like others have said, it's not just the monkey, it's the organ grinder. Either way we're sick of the tune. 

Well said. Especially as the 'Tards lead Western Sydney 4-0....

GAME DAY

Fire up farkin lads. But for different reasons.

Joyce out

Bruno (whether he stays or goes) valued, acknowledged and for fucks sake it better be in every newspaper. Lets be heard and seen.

Poor crowd

Lacklustre performance OR the boys put in a shift. We are behind them, but Joyce has lost the fans. 

CFG to witness discontent and unrest in small group of rusted on fans - wearing red.

So keen to see how this plays out.

Melb city - 0

Newcastle - 2 (on the counter again)

• Like 2

Saddest thing for me is that three weeks ago, we had a massive crowd against Sydney with a golden opportunity to make a statement, both on and off the pitch.

Only two games later (1 win and 1 loss) and the sky has well and truly fallen on us.

Anyway, we'll be there - can't wait to see junior walking out with the teams. Hope there's enough people there to make it a great experience for him.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Fortunate here in Cyprus, the kick off is 10.00 am. Will watch the game then off to Christmas lunch with the RAF at Akroteri. Then back home to watch the Scottish cup final at 5.00 pm. A win this morning will be a good start to the day. No matter what a lot of wine will  be consumed. Cheers 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I really do hope there is a substantial protest and this whole past week wassnt just a lot of hot air

It's Sunday night. No one can really be fucked going, so the mood should be ordinary even at the best of times tonight. 

I'd be surprised if there isn't a protest chant in the first minute of the game. 

Edited by n i k o

Eh not the worse lineup. Would put Caceras in for Brattan so that we might attack a bit faster. I think this should be Baccus' last game to impress before Griffiths gets a shot.

Fingers crossed Good gets a few minutes in his legs at the end if we are in the lead.