Melbourne Football

A-League Expansion

AlwaysHeart

IMO the real problem with expansion is that there are no fixed criteria that MUST be met by any entity seeking to field a team in the A-League. It appears prima facie that any supposed criteria can be modified to suit an applicant favoured for some other reason. To me it was obvious that the best Victorian bid came from Team11, and IMO that has been vindicated by City's move to Casey Fields. Ironically I see that move as the final death of Team11.

What the fixed criteria should be I don't know - I have ideas, but I don't know. However I would have thought that a team with an amorphous name such as "Western United" is a no-no, that each team should have an identifiable catchment area for both players and supporters (fans and financial), and a fixed home base. Stadiums are a vexed issue - Melbourne is far worse off than Sydney in this regard - but anything that depends on vague promises from councils or governments, or tortuous application processes is IMO a no-no. This was IMO the weak point for Team11. IMO one of the weaknesses of the Women's League is that you never know where the team will be playing from one match to the next.

I actually think that names are very important, especially for people who have a casual interest in the game but are not fanatical. My late wife could never understand what "Central Coast Mariners" stood for, and it was hard work to get her to go to see us play them. As I explained it for the nth time she would say "Why don't they call the club Gosford?" She wasn't overwhelmed by "Western Sydney" either.

When I look back the launch of Heart was done pretty successfully. The alliance with Latrobe and the commitment to play at AAMI were master strokes by Scott Munn. I may not like foreign ownership of football clubs, but the move to Casey seems a good one, and I am impressed by that video spiel of Petrillo. It's something that pisses all over Victory and Western. As Milicic said - we are in fact the benchmark club. From those wheelie bins to a $42m HQ at Casey is a great story.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO the real problem with expansion is that there are no fixed criteria that MUST be met by any entity seeking to field a team in the A-League. It appears prima facie that any supposed criteria can be modified to suit an applicant favoured for some other reason. To me it was obvious that the best Victorian bid came from Team11, and IMO that has been vindicated by City's move to Casey Fields. Ironically I see that move as the final death of Team11.

What the fixed criteria should be I don't know - I have ideas, but I don't know. However I would have thought that a team with an amorphous name such as "Western United" is a no-no, that each team should have an identifiable catchment area for both players and supporters (fans and financial), and a fixed home base. Stadiums are a vexed issue - Melbourne is far worse off than Sydney in this regard - but anything that depends on vague promises from councils or governments, or tortuous application processes is IMO a no-no. This was IMO the weak point for Team11. IMO one of the weaknesses of the Women's League is that you never know where the team will be playing from one match to the next.

I actually think that names are very important, especially for people who have a casual interest in the game but are not fanatical. My late wife could never understand what "Central Coast Mariners" stood for, and it was hard work to get her to go to see us play them. As I explained it for the nth time she would say "Why don't they call the club Gosford?" She wasn't overwhelmed by "Western Sydney" either.

When I look back the launch of Heart was done pretty successfully. The alliance with Latrobe and the commitment to play at AAMI were master strokes by Scott Munn. I may not like foreign ownership of football clubs, but the move to Casey seems a good one, and I am impressed by that video spiel of Petrillo. It's something that pisses all over Victory and Western. As Milicic said - we are in fact the benchmark club. From those wheelie bins to a $42m HQ at Casey is a great story.

Maybe that was why Team 11 did not win the bid.

12 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Maybe that was why Team 11 did not win the bid.

That thought did cross my mind. But to have actively worked to thwart the Team11 bid would have meant that CFG was already eyeing off Casey Fields 2-3 years ago. Not impossible though.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

That thought did cross my mind. But to have actively worked to thwart the Team11 bid would have meant that CFG was already eyeing off Casey Fields 2-3 years ago. Not impossible though.

Brad Rowse said in the press conference confirming Casey move that Victory and City supported the Team 11 bid and thought they were the best bid. They started collaborating with Team11 once they lost.

Can’t say CFG don’t care if you add up up both HQ in Casey and Bundoora they would have spend over 60m just on training facilities in Melbourne 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So word is Macarthur are in financial trouble and if true will either be trying to A. Sell the franchise to another buyer. B. Apl to step in and take care while another buyer or possible re location is sought.

By the sounds of the way the NBL team in Tassie (jackoffs) are going it has now pricked the ears of the AFL to consider setting up a team down there. A League should be considering getting in sooner than later before it becomes a very crowded professional sporting market... 

11 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

So word is Macarthur are in financial trouble and if true will either be trying to A. Sell the franchise to another buyer. B. Apl to step in and take care while another buyer or possible re location is sought.

By the sounds of the way the NBL team in Tassie (jackoffs) are going it has now pricked the ears of the AFL to consider setting up a team down there. A League should be considering getting in sooner than later before it becomes a very crowded professional sporting market... 

I lived in Hobart for almost 15 years. I don't resile from the view that an A-League franchise there would be a disaster. It's not "Tasmania" in a united sense, and people have a strong bond with their region - Hobart, Launceston and the NW-Coast being the principal ones. There is just not the population or the interest in football to support a club there.

If David Gallop was right about anything he was right about any future A-League clubs needing to be situated in major population centres.

Otherwise we will just repeat the failures.

54 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Surprisingly not you for a change. 

Please my rumours are much, much worse then that.

For example, did you know that John "the unlucky one" Aloisi is leaving nomad United after the end of this season to coach shitney fc?