Melbourne Football

Welcome to Melbourne, Florin Berenguer

Embee

59 minutes ago, rass said:

I agree. I actually think he is an ok player; he can do some nice things. But he also makes a few mistakes, such as an extra dribble or tries to take on one too many players and then coughs it up. 

I guess what i am trying to say is that he is a good player, but there's no real point of difference with him over a local player. 

No-one seems to know the duration of his contract. I'm hoping it's just the one season, because we can do a lot better.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No-one seems to know the duration of his contract. I'm hoping it's just the one season, because we can do a lot better.

Asked him this after the game outside the stadium and he said he is in Australia for 2 years, his english isn’t great but I assume he means he is on a two year contact at City.

• Like 1

Just now, dconder13 said:

Asked him this after the game outside the stadium and he said he is in Australia for 2 years, his english isn’t great but I assume he means he is on a two year contact at City.

Hope he stays because under a better manager who plays him in his natural position as a CM I think he will be a good player for our team.

28 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Hope he stays because under a better manager who plays him in his natural position as a CM I think he will be a good player for our team.

I'm inclined to be optimistic. At the moment I'm uncomfortable that he appears to have become the latest whipping boy for the forum. In a poor field he's the best corner taker we have. He's suffered more than most from a combination of injury (real or convenience?), intermittent selection, and being played out of position. None of this will have helped him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I'm inclined to be optimistic. At the moment I'm uncomfortable that he appears to have become the latest whipping boy for the forum. In a poor field he's the best corner taker we have. He's suffered more than most from a combination of injury (real or convenience?), intermittent selection, and being played out of position. None of this will have helped him. 

Especially the 'slipping over' incidences in the first half at critical times because he had the wrong boots on.

Stuff like that drives me crazy.

20 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I don't think that he has become the Forum's latest whipping boy at all. If anyone has inherited that role it would be Jamo or Atkinson, and I don't think we should fall into the "whipping boy trap" with anyone.

I think what we're trying to do is to make an objective assessment of a player's abilities and contribution, and come to a conclusion on whether he meets our expectation of a visa player. Those conclusions will vary.

IMO this all originates from another season of collective disappointment with what City has delivered as a club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayv36 said:

Its pretty common for foreigners to have an average first season in this league eg Ninkovic. Players like Bruno, Castro & Adrian are the exception.

He's hopefully similar to Ninkovic and not Koren.

I think it's common for any player who moves halfway around the world to find it difficult.

There's usually an adjustment period. Delbridge took a while to adjust and now look at him.

They're human beings at the end of the day. There's a lot to get used to and some can do it quickly.

At any rate, Berenguer has the skills but he needs to sharpen up big time. He's been disappointing so far. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm afraid that Florin has been a huge disappointment. He is pedestrian to say the least. IMO he wouldn't get a gig in the NPL.

Hindsight is always a easy fallback. But seriously he was playing 2nd division for a reason so what do we expect. He doesn't seem a loose Canon type (novillo) or being continually injured (Bart) or just lacking the right conditions at the right time (Bruno), I just think he is not up to A League visa standard like the previously mentioned. 

His coaching hasn't helped him but to me he is below what a visa player should be in a "good" team.

• Like 1

I’ve been optimistic about him turning it around but he won’t ever be played as a CM or CAM and he isn’t the type to boss a game from any position. 

Joyce went into this season with only two wide players and by necessity has pigeon-holed him as a wide player, where he is basically ineffective. 

The signing has been a failure and I hope he isn’t signed for a second season. 

18 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I’ve been optimistic about him turning it around but he won’t ever be played as a CM or CAM and he isn’t the type to boss a game from any position. 

Joyce went into this season with only two wide players and by necessity has pigeon-holed him as a wide player, where he is basically ineffective. 

The signing has been a failure and I hope he isn’t signed for a second season. 

@Harrison My information is that he's here for two seasons. Let's hope he agrees to a termination.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@Harrison My information is that he's here for two seasons. Let's hope he agrees to a termination.

He is probably banking on Joyce getting axed and then he gets a second season with a new guy.

I think regardless of where he plays he just isn't elite. His 1st touch is poor, he just is not what you want.

How would any of us go moving halfway around the world and then being played in an unfamiliar position for just about all season and with language difficulties to boot . Our coach has this pedantic idea that every player should be able to play in any position which to my mind is stupid and disrespectful of that players talent. If the club wanted a deadset winger why sign a CAM, again the decision was never going to be successful.

Iknow iknow, we signed O'halloran but why did they not bother to find a proper replacement , instead they just stuck Berenguer there to fill the gap. Total club stupidity in the long run.

Edited by johnno cpfc

The time he’s played well (allegedly) I haven’t been watching, so all I’ve seen is a guy who isn’t good enough to start in the A League.

I had high hopes when he was announced but he’s been beyond disappointing. 

How he gets a start every week I don’t know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citypool said:

A league’s better then the French league 2

I think its harder in the respect that its physically more demanding (heat and general physicality of the aussie game).  Ligue 2 is definitely better technically.  Florin doesnt strike me as the type of player that runs day and night like most of the players in the league do.  Makes me wonder why he was brought in when he clearly isnt the quickest or sharpest. He has never been utilised in position where he hasnt had to press and run.  Another player I feel we have brought in and completely misunderstood. Marcin was the same, he had to lose 5 kg before he even made the pitch.  Coming off the field like a dead man shouldnt be the defining character of our team.  You need balance in a team.  Players that love to press, players that move more off the ball and run shorter distances.  So frustrating to see this season there has never been respect given to players like florin who dont fit into the bullshit workhorse tactics.  Stifled by shite tactics as always 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

I think its harder in the respect that its physically more demanding (heat and general physicality of the aussie game).  Ligue 2 is definitely better technically.  Florin doesnt strike me as the type of player that runs day and night like most of the players in the league do.  Makes me wonder why he was brought in when he clearly isnt the quickest or sharpest. He has never been utilised in position where he hasnt had to press and run.  Another player I feel we have brought in and completely misunderstood. Marcin was the same, he had to lose 5 kg before he even made the pitch.  Coming off the field like a dead man shouldnt be the defining character of our team.  You need balance in a team.  Players that love to press, players that move more off the ball and run shorter distances.  So frustrating to see this season there has never been respect given to players like florin who dont fit into the bullshit workhorse tactics.  Stifled by shite tactics as always 

Signings such as Berenguer and Budzinski (and there have been plenty of examples, not just visa players) who don't fit the tactics that the manager then uses still raise the question in my mind as to who makes these signing decisions? It seems to happen quite regularly, so the problem seems to me to be systemic rather than just bad luck. This is Joyce's second season, not his first, so how could we sign a player who doesn't fit his style of play? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I bagged him earlier, and need to take some of it back! His best game of the season for us tonight.

Same. His second half was excellent. 

Is this a breakout game for him and the team or is it just another false dawn.

I'm hoping for him and the team that maybe they aren't that shit after all.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I think its true he beat up on a sub standard player, but hey you can only beat whats in front of you and that was a huge step in the right direction. Badly needs a goal tho.

He pretty much got one. The first goal was his really. Griff got the slightest of touches, but he made it and it would have gone in anyway. 

Really happy for him. 

He played well last night. Stationed on the left, he beat his opponent quite a few times, delivered some beautiful crosses and linked up well with Brattan on several occasions. 

I still think he’s best used centrally but at least we can get something out of him for the rest of the season. 

11 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

The kid he was playing on was not really up to a-league standard 

This exactly....I wanted mention this earlier as people are raving about him. He played a NPL2 defender. Good for him that he played a decent game but I still seen the usual weak shot, poor controls in critical areas.

9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

This exactly....I wanted mention this earlier as people are raving about him. He played a NPL2 defender. Good for him that he played a decent game but I still seen the usual weak shot, poor controls in critical areas.

As a CM playing as a LW he had

13 passes into the area, 5 shot assists, 1 goal.

Credit where credit is due.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

As a CM playing as a LW he had

13 passes into the area, 5 shot assists, 1 goal.

Credit where credit is due.

Lol his goal was a cross.

He isn’t a central midfielder definitely not on this level, not enough body and has no workrate to cover a CM position. He can’t even tackle. Not sure why people think he has such team carrying characteristics. 

He is an attacking minded player who can play LW, AM RW in the lower leagues.

Playing a player out of position is a defender being put up front, not what we do with Florin. Any quality will surface in such roles. Have you noticed Ninkovic the left wing as an attacking midfielder the whole season? Honda on the right wing?

He needs to do a lot more, play consistently like last night against adult fullbacks and start scorings goals. And crosses like Jamie handed him last night need to be controlled.

I’m super critical on him as I believe we are wasting a visa spot on him, so convince me Florin the remainder of the season.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Lol his goal was a cross.

He isn’t a central midfielder definitely not on this level, not enough body and has no workrate to cover a CM position. He can’t even tackle. Not sure why people think he has such team carrying characteristics. 

He is an attacking minded player who can play LW, AM RW in the lower leagues.

Playing a player out of position is a defender being put up front, not what we do with Florin. Any quality will surface in such roles. Have you noticed Ninkovic the left wing as an attacking midfielder the whole season? Honda on the right wing?

He needs to do a lot more, play consistently like last night against adult fullbacks and start scorings goals. And crosses like Jamie handed him last night need to be controlled.

I’m super critical on him as I believe we are wasting a visa spot on him, so convince me Florin the remainder of the season.

So you are critical of him because of everything else except his matchday performance. That's fair.

Geeez

9 hours ago, playmaker said:

So you are critical of him because of everything else except his matchday performance. That's fair.

Geeez

No I just think he wasn’t that good, still slipped, bad shooting or poor control at critical moments - so that “everything else“ was still part of his match day performance.

You basically said he is played out of position so this performance is extra credit worthy. He’s done well but I don’t buy that argument, sorry.

This game should be the bare minimum level of standard in my opinion. The fact that we are having this discussion after 15 passes in the box and beating a teenager fullback shows how poor he has been and we expect very little.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1