Melbourne Football

Welcome to Melbourne, Florin Berenguer

Embee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 23/03/2022 at 9:56 PM, kingofhearts said:

Has this guy had the biggest turnaround in a league history? I still can't believe how good be has been this season, it's like he's a brand new player.

Didn't last long based on last night.

On more than one occasion he was in a good position but the other players did not pass him the ball - Jammo at least twice. When he had the ball in the second half he could be dangerous as he got pass their defenders. Lack of match fitness hampered him but if he had been better managed he might not have been injured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Seems to have disappeared completely. No mention by the club for weeks.

In hindsight perhaps injury replacement category but I remember that the plan was to be fully fit after the World Cup. Can perhaps get a handy player for the money he is on.

I would look back at his City career with mixed emotions. Took ages to see any potential, fair chunk absence due to injury throughout the seasons, all mixed with moments of brilliance.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 31/07/2023 at 9:40 AM, jw1739 said:

Does anyone know what is happening with Florin Berenguer? Is he still with the club?

Currently he has been out of contract since July 1st, so a month now. No official announcement saying he has left at this point as well

30 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Currently he has been out of contract since July 1st, so a month now. No official announcement saying he has left at this point as well

I believe it's a case of get a citizenship and we'll sign you up. Otherwise I don't believe the club want to gamble/waste a visa on him at this stage of his career...

Watching over his highlights I feel he doesn't get the praise he should for his time with us. He had some ups and downs including injuries at times but looking back how he contributed to all our trophies and how when he was 'on' he was a huge part of many many wins we had. I'd say he was overall a successful addition to our team, which as we know in this league with foreign players isn't easy to get right. Wish him all the best, except against us if he goes to another team in Aus. 

• Like 3

I wish him the best. I liked him and always wanted him to succeed. But many games he didn't get out of second gear (third at most). He never played with urgency, which i usually put down to him being perpetually coming back from injury. I always thought he had the potential to grab a game by the throat, but never really saw him do it. For that reason i think the time had come to move on. 

I think he flourished most when he had two very good midfielders beside him that allowed him the freedom to be a luxury player. He may well go to the next level at a different club and under a different system. I hope he scores a bag of goals against Victory and Sydney, and has his usual second gear games against us. 

Bon chance Florin

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

He may well go to the next level at a different club and under a different system. I hope he scores a bag of goals against Victory and Sydney, and has his usual second gear games against us. 

Do we actually think another team is going to waste a visa on him or does he have Aus citizenship now?

2 hours ago, Tangerine said:

I wish him the best. I liked him and always wanted him to succeed. But many games he didn't get out of second gear (third at most). He never played with urgency, which i usually put down to him being perpetually coming back from injury. I always thought he had the potential to grab a game by the throat, but never really saw him do it. For that reason i think the time had come to move on. 

I think he flourished most when he had two very good midfielders beside him that allowed him the freedom to be a luxury player. He may well go to the next level at a different club and under a different system. I hope he scores a bag of goals against Victory and Sydney, and has his usual second gear games against us. 

Bon chance Florin

Good summary IMO. I think your observations reflect his career in France before he came to us. Never met him of course, but he seems from all accounts an all-round nice guy, family man, possibly doesn't have the "edginess" needed to make it in a very competitive and cut-throat environment. Somehow I can imagine him in retirement running a cafe in a village somewhere in la belle France where you go for a coffee, a cheese sandwich, and shoot the breeze with "le patron." Indeed, bon chance Florin.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Good summary IMO. I think your observations reflect his career in France before he came to us. Never met him of course, but he seems from all accounts an all-round nice guy, family man, possibly doesn't have the "edginess" needed to make it in a very competitive and cut-throat environment. Somehow I can imagine him in retirement running a cafe in a village somewhere in la belle France where you go for a coffee, a cheese sandwich, and shoot the breeze with "le patron." Indeed, bon chance Florin.

Hopefully, he's learned enough about Melbourne coffee to not be making French coffee😂

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'll trade the quiet ambience of a French village cafe for any drop-off in taste and the petrol fumes in a Melbourne coffee ship...

That is our point of difference. When I travel I always seek out good coffee shops and then look for nearby accommodation😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Flo going to Brisbane for two seasons is an example of why the A-League struggles. Don't Brisbane have a youth set-up?

Yeah it does make the A-League a bit cringe with all the recycling of players. Particularly older visas switching clubs over clubs promoting some up coming players.

Don't know what Brisbane are thinking with the 2 year deal. Surely they got him on the cheap otherwise they will probably regret this deal...