Melbourne Football

Welcome to Melbourne, Florin Berenguer

Embee

14 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Looking like the player we thought we were getting.

Yeah it’s been a rocky road but the injuries have hampered him badly from the looks of it, he only got into a rhythm once and he was our best player during that time. Honestly I’ve always rated him pretty highly. No doubt a frustrating player and never will be a Diamanti type but he’s a classy player and has a lot of experience. We’re absolutely a better team with him in it.

Edited by Harrison

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Yeah it’s been a rocky road but the injuries have hampered him badly from the looks of it, he only got into a rhythm once and he was our best player during that time. Honestly I’ve always rated him pretty highly. No doubt a frustrating player and never will be a Diamanti type but he’s a classy player and has a lot of experience. We’re absolutely a better team with him in it.

I think that his main problem is that he just doesn't have the engine to go more than 70 minutes, and IMO PK should be able to manage that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

After last night I'm ready to ask Florin to pack his bags at season's end. He doesn't justify a starting role any more and he's gifted away two goals in recent weeks. I don't think we should use up a visa place with him.

Be interesting for next season as of this moment we have 4 visas out of contract/ loan ending  at season end. In my opinion

- Luna -try to extend his contract 

- Noone- had his best season tbf but have a feeling he will

go back to the UK and Leckie will replace him or Nabbout.

- Florin - on his day one of our best but inconsistent. Think we can do better 

- Tsubaki loan ends and won’t want to extend it waste of a visa spot.

so going into next season hypothetically we could be on the hunt for 4 new visa spots 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

After last night I'm ready to ask Florin to pack his bags at season's end. He doesn't justify a starting role any more and he's gifted away two goals in recent weeks. I don't think we should use up a visa place with him.

I think he was becoming one of our best and starting to get consistency but then with Luna coming back and O'Neill as well, has thrown him and he's lost his spot 

In all honesty, I'm not quite sure why he did lose that spot. Luna is a dynamo but not sure he is playing better than Flo was.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Be interesting for next season as of this moment we have 4 visas out of contract/ loan ending  at season end. In my opinion

- Luna -try to extend his contract 

- Noone- had his best season tbf but have a feeling he will

go back to the UK and Leckie will replace him or Nabbout.

- Florin - on his day one of our best but inconsistent. Think we can do better 

- Tsubaki loan ends and won’t want to extend it waste of a visa spot.

so going into next season hypothetically we could be on the hunt for 4 new visa spots 

- I'm more than happy with Luna (29 yo). IMO definitely worth a contract extension.
- I think Noone (33 yo) is worthy of a one-year extension if he wants it, but we should see more and more of Tilio as time passes.
- Berenguer (32yo) - no, I've made my case there. Not worthy of extension. Goes missing too often, can't shoot and his passing is often too timid - like last night.
- Tsubaki. IMO last night he blew his best chance so far to impress. I don't know why he's here, because he isn't challenging for a start. CFG have got scouts everywhere so why him is beyond me.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

- I'm more than happy with Luna (29 yo). IMO definitely worth a contract extension.
- I think Noone (33 yo) is worthy of a one-year extension if he wants it, but we should see more and more of Tilio as time passes.
- Berenguer (32yo) - no, I've made my case there. Not worthy of extension. Goes missing too often, can't shoot and his passing is often too timid - like last night.
- Tsubaki. IMO last night he blew his best chance so far to impress. I don't know why he's here, because he isn't challenging for a start. CFG have got scouts everywhere so why him is beyond me.

Tsubaki is the one of the most puzzling visa signing we’ve had in our history as City.  Just a waste of a visa spot tbh 

Edited by CityBoyz

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Flo is a good starting player. When he comes off the bench he just isn't as effective. If he isn't starting, he's pretty much useless imo

Flo goes missing agaibst tough opposition. No point wasting a visa spot on a player you would be wary of starting in a GF.

• Like 2

I have the same feeling now as I did when we signed him under Joyce, Is this the best we can do?

Don't get me wrong, Florin is a tidy player, with good technical skill, nice touch, decent dribbling ability and passing range, but he just goes missing so damn often to the point that his ability, even when "on", barely justifies the visa spot he is taking. I can't even think of 10 games over the course of almost three seasons where he has truly made the difference that a league winning/strong creative attacking midfielder should, like, for example Diamanti/Ninkovic have done and continue to do almost week in week out. I know he is not necessarily the same type of player as those two, but he should still have more of an influence in games than he does in order to justify his Visa position. 

With all of CFG's scouting resources and global networks available, we still sign a surprising amount of just decent but not great visa players. Every Visa player should be a crucial element of our side. I honestly feel like we just waste 2-3/5 Visa Spots almost every season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Which other city visa player has contributed less in terms of minutes played, assists or goals etc? 

O'halloran, Meewus,Gray, and Hughes just of the top of my head, obviously some are defenders but just by actually contributing or leaving an impression i reackon these blokes have done less.

Having said that visa signings are always hit and miss and i might be a lone voice but Tsubaki is a decent player and at some stage have a good spell, hopefully it's with us. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jovan said:

O'halloran, Meewus,Gray, and Hughes just of the top of my head, obviously some are defenders but just by actually contributing or leaving an impression i reackon these blokes have done less.

Having said that visa signings are always hit and miss and i might be a lone voice but Tsubaki is a decent player and at some stage have a good spell, hopefully it's with us. 

Some good ones there. Obviously some are Heart players, we didn’t have our extensive scouting network then. Hughes at least scored a goal and Halloran was barely at the club.

I agree that he is a decent player.

Tsubaki's intensity when he came on the pitch Thursday night was just absent - something I found interesting given it was his first appearance that I could remember in quite some time, he's young, fresh and pacey coming up against a depleted Newcastle side who had all but given up and I figured he'd have something to prove. I know he only had 10 minutes but far out, when we didn't have the ball he did jack-shit to try and win it back. It was a somewhat different story when we had the ball but even then, I noted he was running into all the wrong spots/not getting into a position to receive the ball quick enough (O'Neill audibly yelled at him twice for it, while Galloway also had an exchange with him).

Seemed to me like he's already checked-out tbh. Time to move on and replace him. 

As for Flo, gah is there a more frustrating player in our squad?? On his day he's a showboating, dribbling/passing/link-up genius but those days are way too sporadic. I'm on the fence as I'm not in favour of messing with our currently very stable squad too much, but equally there's an opportunity to land someone better and more consistent with his spot. Clearly he's behind on the pecking order and needs to prove himself before the season's done - might well get his opportunity to shine come the back-end with our mass of national team/Olympic outs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

IMO you are rationalising here. Why are visa signings "always hit or miss?" I would say that as part of CFG our visa signings should rarely be misses. We are part of the biggest multi-club football entity in the world with scouts on every continent whose job it is to identify potential players for our clubs. Surely they do more than rock up to one match to have a bit of a squiz, look at the stats on transfermarkt and then make a recommendation? I would expect, indeed demand, a detailed dossier on every single potential signing.

I don't think we're saying that Berenguer, Tsubaki and others are poor players, just that they occupy a visa place on the roster and don't appear any better than the local option.

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Tsubaki's intensity when he came on the pitch Thursday night was just absent - something I found interesting given it was his first appearance that I could remember in quite some time, he's young, fresh and pacey coming up against a depleted Newcastle side who had all but given up and I figured he'd have something to prove. I know he only had 10 minutes but far out, when we didn't have the ball he did jack-shit to try and win it back. It was a somewhat different story when we had the ball but even then, I noted he was running into all the wrong spots/not getting into a position to receive the ball quick enough (O'Neill audibly yelled at him twice for it, while Galloway also had an exchange with him).

Seemed to me like he's already checked-out tbh. Time to move on and replace him. 

As for Flo, gah is there a more frustrating player in our squad?? On his day he's a showboating, dribbling/passing/link-up genius but those days are way too sporadic. I'm on the fence as I'm not in favour of messing with our currently very stable squad too much, but equally there's an opportunity to land someone better and more consistent with his spot. Clearly he's behind on the pecking order and needs to prove himself before the season's done - might well get his opportunity to shine come the back-end with our mass of national team/Olympic outs.

Echoes my sentiments completely.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO you are rationalising here. Why are visa signings "always hit or miss?" I would say that as part of CFG our visa signings should rarely be misses. We are part of the biggest multi-club football entity in the world with scouts on every continent whose job it is to identify potential players for our clubs. Surely they do more than rock up to one match to have a bit of a squiz, look at the stats on transfermarkt and then make a recommendation? I would expect, indeed demand, a detailed dossier on every single potential signing.

I don't think we're saying that Berenguer, Tsubaki and others are poor players, just that they occupy a visa place on the roster and don't appear any better than the local option.

Echoes my sentiments completely.

I'm with Jovan on the hit and miss. Clubs all around the world use visa players and quite often they just don't work out. This isn't just A Melbourne City issue, it comes along with the territory. Robert Koren came along with genuine bona fides and yet failed to make an impact. Multitude of reasons could be why they don't fit - they don't get along with the coach, they find physicality level too different, the style of play is not what they expected, etc.

As for Berenguer, I did not expect Metcalfe to be having the season that he is. Last season I would have had Berenguer ahead now its the other way around. As for Tsubaki I am not sure but I think that he has potential but I don't know what position or game style suits him best.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

Re-signed whilst the forum was down (no, I’m not connecting the 2!).

Knows our system and we’ll get a loyalty bonus under the salary cap.

I've been critical of him in the past, but on balance the right decision.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Fourth season? I think most of us would have gladly said goodbye after the first two, but he's stuck at it and is probably now showing why he was signed in the first place. Lovely goal. Previously he couldn't get it over the line from about two yards!

Well done M'sieur!

10 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Has this guy turned the corner?

Has strung together a nice run of games, finger's crossed he can keep it up

The cynic in me says that he is acutely aware that he may not be offered another contract extension at the end of the season and he is trying to ensure he does.

Regardless, I am glad he has hit a patch if good form and I hope this is the new standard (much like when Scotty J turned it around).

1 hour ago, malloy said:

The cynic in me says that he is acutely aware that he may not be offered another contract extension at the end of the season and he is trying to ensure he does.

Regardless, I am glad he has hit a patch if good form and I hope this is the new standard (much like when Scotty J turned it around).

IMO on current form he's worth keeping on for another season. He'll be 33 in April, but maybe he's getting better with age! He seems so much more confident these days.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was wrong about Florin (because I'm sure there have been times when I've doubted the decision to retain him) and I was wrong about Leckie. Both are worth their place in our team. Pleased Florin is staying. Maybe Paramount will finally spell his name consistently correctly now. Not Florian...

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Deserved favourite for the Johnny Warren, a terrific example of perseverance and pretty well just a great story all round. Pleasure to watch him each week at  the moment.

Who would have thought that one day we would say ''Florin is one of our few creative outlets at the moment''. 

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Deserved favourite for the Johnny Warren, a terrific example of perseverance and pretty well just a great story all round. Pleasure to watch him each week at  the moment.

Admit my assessment of him in the first two seasons was way off the mark.