Melbourne Football

Welcome to Melbourne, Florin Berenguer

Embee

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Not really. At least in the sense of signing a player and then moving them into a marquee allocation once the cards fall. We've done that once with Williams way back when, but every other player has been signed on a marquee contract. Marcin, Colazo and RDL have just presumably not been on a huge wicket, but they'd still be marquee wages.

It might be something we do going forward if we don’t sign big-name marquees who command large salaries but instead sign five foreigners of roughly equal ability/salaries.

14 hours ago, Harrison said:

It might be something we do going forward if we don’t sign big-name marquees who command large salaries but instead sign five foreigners of roughly equal ability/salaries.

That would work, also that means we have to fill all visa spots with starting players and have them all on the park! Something we haven't archieved for many years.

14 hours ago, Harrison said:

I'm skeptical about this. Can you show me one team that's ended up top of the table and won the grand final without having a game changing marquee and just 5 average visa players? 

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I'm skeptical about this. Can you show me one team that's ended up top of the table and won the grand final without having a game changing marquee and just 5 average visa players? 

True, but at this stage we have never fullfilled the full potential of visa players, always vacancies. It's pretty straight forward to see that the tittle wining teams have the visa placements correct.

Edited by Mr MO

54 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

True, but at this we have never fullfilled the full potential of visa players, always vacancies. It's pretty straight forward to see that the tittle wining teams have the visa placements correct.

So true.

It's interesting to note that in the 2015/16 season where we finished 4th and scored the most goals in the league by some margin (+14 over the next best), we only finished the season with 1 of 2 available marquee places used on Mooy and only used 4 of 5 available visa places on Sorensen, Novillo, Fornaroli and Hughes who barely featured.

If we replaced Koren with another, decent international marquee we could well have won the league given how close it was that season.

He shows qualities of a good CM/CAM with good ball and passing skills and able to take on the opposition with the ball at his feet.

Played in the correct position with a good manager I think he will do well.

My only caveat on this is that a lot of our midfield and attacking players are hard to assess due to Wazza's holistic view of football and that it more or less suppressed any central attacking creativity.

If he stays then I will be interested to see if the new manager can use his attributes more effectively with a better game strategy and tactics.

Also with a proper marquee 10, I think Florin would be an important cog in our attacking transitions.

Edited by playmaker

IMO we've never got the marquee and visa players right, and it's therefore no surprise that we've not won a league trophy so far. Neither of or two best players - Mooy and Fornaroli - were actually signed as marquees in the first instance.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Question for the forum:

Can anyone provide any evidence Florin is our 2nd marquee?

Other than someone saying it on Talking City (and it being recanted the following week) I cant find any article, any tweet that suggests hes our 2nd marquee. I'm not sure on what people base him being our marquee?

3 hours ago, IssySG said:

Question for the forum:

Can anyone provide any evidence Florin is our 2nd marquee?

Other than someone saying it on Talking City (and it being recanted the following week) I cant find any article, any tweet that suggests hes our 2nd marquee. I'm not sure on what people base him being our marquee?

In my opinion id rather not know who the 2nd marquee is 

If the reports concerning Maclaren and Brillante were/are anywhere near correct than they would likely be the two highest paid players and therefore the most likely players to be outside the cap and therefore "marquees."

I'm not sure that I've seen a City club statement about Maclaren, and the closest I can find is this A-League news item: https://www.a-league.com.au/news/maclaren-vows-add-goals-kick-start-citys-title-push

IMO it would be ludicrous to have Berenguer as a marquee player. My impression is that he does have plenty of skills and a few tricks but that most of the time his mind seems to be switched off or somewhere other than the game he's playing.

39 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Regardless, it's a made up story that originates from thin air that some people allude to in their anti-Florin discussions.

There is no truth to it at all.

I’m in the Anti Florian camp!!!!! The marquee story was confirmed by club sources to the Talking City crew that’s what I know.

I pray everyday that it isn’t true and that we sign a proper marquee player!

Edited by Mr MO

13 hours ago, IssySG said:

Talking City confirmed he is a marquee this season.

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know we are allowed 2 marquees.

Last season we had 2, Bruno and De Last so Florin was just a foreign player on a 2 season deal.

Then we got Jamie as a marquee to replace Bruno and I would suspect either Noone or Luna is our second one.

I find it illogical that the club has made Florin a marquee when he signed a 2 season deal with us as a normal foreign player.

I call this whole 'Florin Marquee thing' made up rubbish.

If Talking City is saying this then they are Talking Rubbish.

Fake News.

Drain the swamp.

9 hours ago, playmaker said:

Last season we had 2, Bruno and De Last so Florin was just a foreign player on a 2 season deal.

Then we got Jamie as a marquee to replace Bruno and I would suspect either Noone or Luna is our second one.

I find it illogical that the club has made Florin a marquee when he signed a 2 season deal with us as a normal foreign player.

Fake News.

Drain the swamp.

Based on his footballing quality it’s absolutely rubbish correct but a 2 year contract can be backloaded for the second year - Victory has done it with Toivonen. With most of those foreigners a 2 years contract is offered as it aligns with Temporary Skill Shortage Visas (also 2 years) but the club is free to move wages around within those years.

10 hours ago, playmaker said:

Fake News.

Drain the swamp.

Drain the swamp at taking city. One if the city officials must have got to one of them 

lXoE-tNbftcyVRE2HgKoqM7Evgc=.gif

• Like 2

10 hours ago, playmaker said:

Fake News.

Drain the swamp.

Sadly not made up. It has been confirmed by multiple sources at the club. 

It's called a back-ended deal so he did sign as a normal VISA player last season on a small wage and then this season is on a much larger one to compensate for being on a lower amount last year.

13 minutes ago, eric forman said:

Sadly not made up. It has been confirmed by multiple sources at the club. 

It's called a back-ended deal so he did sign as a normal VISA player last season on a small wage and then this season is on a much larger one to compensate for being on a lower amount last year.

It really makes you wonder what we have been smoking. To offer such a deal to an unproven European second division player. More importantly than to just stick by it for another season after being really poor in his first - just crazy. Saying that we don’t know if club has tried to terminate and Florin is holding ground.

I couldn't give a shit in all honesty whether he's a marquee or not - it's just a label in the end. As long as the team is working well together and we get the results, then that's what counts. FWIW though, i don't think anyone in our squad is 'marquee' worthy - but we can become a marquee team as a collective if we all work together.

Just another reason for people on here to get worked up about something; weird especially as a ball hasn't even been kicked in anger yet.

19 minutes ago, rass said:

I couldn't give a shit in all honesty whether he's a marquee or not - it's just a label in the end. As long as the team is working well together and we get the results, then that's what counts. FWIW though, i don't think anyone in our squad is 'marquee' worthy - but we can become a marquee team as a collective if we all work together.

Just another reason for people on here to get worked up about something; weird especially as a ball hasn't even been kicked in anger yet.

"An idle mind is the devil's playground."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, rass said:

It’s embarrassing that he is the second highest paid player and probably in the bottom 10 of productivity based on last season. Money can be spend better, this would apply to any sort of business. So it isn’t just a label and it has enough merit to question this marquee decision.

You mention a ball hasn’t been kicked which is true, I’ve seen every game last year and off season this year, the guy doesn’t deserve to be high on our payroll.

I don’t like that we are hoping that other players on lower pay will stand up to cover up the cracks as that is essentially what you are saying.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It’s embarrassing that he is second highest paid members and probably in the bottom 10 of productivity based on last season. Money can be spend better, this would apply to any sort of business. So it isn’t just a label and it has enough merit to question this marquee decision.

With due respect thats a bit of a simple way of looking at it. Last year he was probably the lowest paid member in the whole squad so you really need to just add the two together, divide by two and decide whether thats too much or too little. In this case its probably too much, but alas theres plenty of pricks that have been signed for way more than theyre worth over the years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

With due respect thats a bit of a simple way of looking at it. Last year he was probably the lowest paid member in the whole squad so you really need to just add the two together, divide by two and decide whether thats too much or too little. In this case its probably too much, but alas theres plenty of pricks that have been signed for way more than theyre worth over the years.

You are right BT, I didn’t think about last season and that he was probably on peanuts. It’s still a risky contract deal in a league where visa and marquee are critical to success.

Edited by Mr MO

11 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

You are right BT, I didn’t think about last season and that he was probably on peanuts. It’s a still risky contract deal in a league where visa and marquee are critical to success.

Agree with that. It's always the danger in back ending a contract. 

19 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Agree with that. It's always the danger in back ending a contract. 

I think this is what is getting people pissed off. He was supposedly promised a better deal in his second year, but for me the fault lies without conditions. Had he performed and dominated no one would say boo and would applaud the club for good business but he stank last year and appears to being rewarded.

Now what needs to be also taken into consideration is the way the club sticks to it's contracts and "promises". Selling a deal to a player to come to a 2nd rate league on the other side of the world isn't easy, then if you have a reputation of axing players half way through (insert several other A League clubs) long term it's going to be tough bringing in new quality visas. 

So all up the club fucked up with Berenguer but it is probably worse long term if he gets replaced. 

Hopefully he reaches a decent standard and the club won't be too embarrassed.

Clearly him being a marquee is a decision that went wrong earlier on. So both Joyce and the club fluffed that and criticism on that front is warranted.

But it doesn't have to impact us at all. If any one of our new visa signings plays at marquee standard then the status quo remains, from a playing perspective. 

• Like 2

Don't forget too that when we signed Harry Novillo - admittedly only as an injury replacement - he wasn't even getting a game for Clermont Foot. And he turned out to be a winner until he blotted his copybook in his private life.

It's going to be interesting to see if Simon Pearce and CFG get their way with the A-League whether they will change their stance on marquee players for City. IMO if they are going to kick-start City's growth then they're going to have to.