Melbourne Football

Welcome to Melbourne, Florin Berenguer

Embee

32 minutes ago, n i k o said:

He's still shit. Average at best on a good day. Agree with @Mr MO. Moving from AM to LW and claiming this is the whole reason he's shit is ludicrous. He's shit because he doesn't have the quality. 

I don't think it's the reason he's 'shit' necessarily. To reduce it to one factor, when there are so many, is silly.

I do think that he would be more effective playing in front of two deeper central midfielders, as a 10 or less mobile 8. 

This is an unpopular opinion but I reckon he has a nice touch and pass and is an intelligent player. What he isn't is a dominant, boss-from-anywhere type of player in the mould of Ninkovic or Honda. They are many classes above Berenguer and are able to play that hybrid winger/CAM role very well. Also, comparing them to Florin is a little unfair because they're both marquees. 

I still think he's a failed foreign signing but to get the most out of him, however much that is, we should be playing him centrally. Of course, if McGree or anyone else is in better form then we should be playing them. Florin needs to earn his spot just like everyone else but he seems to get picked no matter what, which frustrates me a lot. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, n i k o said:

He's still shit. Average at best on a good day. Agree with @Mr MO. Moving from AM to LW and claiming this is the whole reason he's shit is ludicrous. He's shit because he doesn't have the quality. 

So he had a crap game on Friday night because of why?

One assist/goal, one set up an assist by taking on 3 players, pounded balls into good areas into the box all night, but he failed right?

You guys are off your heads.

What is a pass mark then?

30 crosses? 10 shot assists? 10 goal assists?

I am talking about the performance on Friday, not prior to that, if you read my post correctly.

And if it doesn't matter if you play players out of position from a CM not AM as you said, the let's play Brattan or Bacchus or Griffiths in the LW position and see how they go.

TBH I don't care about Florin above any other player and I do agree that he is another recruiting failure, but to say that he had a crap game when he helped set up 2 goals, dominated his position to allow the first 2 goals of the game where we should have been 2-0 up if it wasn't for the RoboCop/Galekovic brain fart, then you guys just don't know what you are talking about.

Harrison just posted a great post which agree to be true, so why don't we just play him instead of Bacchus and see it we can get some creativeness out of the midfield? 

Regardless, he had a great game on Friday.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

So he had a crap game on Friday night because of why?

One assist/goal, one set up an assist by taking on 3 players, pounded balls into good areas into the box all night, but he failed right?

You guys are off your heads.

What is a pass mark then?

30 crosses? 10 shot assists? 10 goal assists?

I am talking about the performance on Friday, not prior to that, if you read my post correctly.

And if it doesn't matter if you play players out of position from a CM not AM as you said, the let's play Brattan or Bacchus or Griffiths in the LW position and see how they go.

TBH I don't care about Florin above any other player and I do agree that he is another recruiting failure, but to say that he had a crap game when he helped set up 2 goals, dominated his position to allow the first 2 goals of the game where we should have been 2-0 up if it wasn't for the RoboCop/Galekovic brain fart, then you guys just don't know what you are talking about.

Harrison just posted a great post which agree to be true, so why don't we just play him instead of Bacchus and see it we can get some creativeness out of the midfield? 

Regardless, he had a great game on Friday.

Nobody said he had a crap game or failed, some believe he is just average and like to see more games like this against better opposition. I understood the discussion was more about that has been average this season because he plays 15 meters to the left.

But let's give him the benefit of the doubt, let Florin show us the same performance against a mature full back.

His pass mark would be the numbers you mentioned in 20 games a season or more. Let's not forget that visa players are allowed to play here as they are supposed to be better than the locally available players.

And for your information many on this forum do you know what they are talking about, quality players don't go unnoticed. 

I fully agree with removing Baccus for a more attacking option midfield, no need to play with 2 DM's but you know how Joyce operates and Brisbane was the perfect opponent for that move.

Edited by Mr MO

4 hours ago, Harrison said:

I don't think it's the reason he's 'shit' necessarily. To reduce it to one factor, when there are so many, is silly.

I do think that he would be more effective playing in front of two deeper central midfielders, as a 10 or less mobile 8. 

This is an unpopular opinion but I reckon he has a nice touch and pass and is an intelligent player. What he isn't is a dominant, boss-from-anywhere type of player in the mould of Ninkovic or Honda. They are many classes above Berenguer and are able to play that hybrid winger/CAM role very well. Also, comparing them to Florin is a little unfair because they're both marquees. 

I still think he's a failed foreign signing but to get the most out of him, however much that is, we should be playing him centrally. Of course, if McGree or anyone else is in better form then we should be playing them. Florin needs to earn his spot just like everyone else but he seems to get picked no matter what, which frustrates me a lot. 

I don't think he's shit either. It was toungue in cheek. But for a visa player he is easily below par. I believe visa players should be above the standard of local talent. I don't think he is. For this reason he doesn't cut it. 

@playmaker My comments were regarding all your posts about him. Not just this last one. Bottom line is he simply isn't good enough for a visa player. If he was his quality would still come through even though he is playing in a slightly different position. 

5 hours ago, IssySG said:

Talking City podcast claiming they have insider information that not only will Florin be here next season, but he'll be here as a marquee. May god have mercy on us all.

Ts4p92l.gif

Wtf since when are Talking City doing Podcasts again??? How many have I missed!

21 minutes ago, haz said:

Wtf since when are Talking City doing Podcasts again??? How many have I missed!

3 or 4..

Which approximates to about 15 minutes of indepth discussion about football and over 200 minutes of quality banter. Get on it.

My dream is one day to feature on the podcast - I will leave KFC wrappers, talk about bike riding and even quality rage about the latest vegan protests. I would even go as far as to give an onside to podular media.

Edited by JMSTEP123

1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

3 or 4..

Which approximates to about 15 minutes of indepth discussion about football and over 200 minutes of quality banter. Get on it.

My dream is one day to feature on the podcast - I will leave KFC wrappers, talk about bike riding and even quality rage about the latest vegan protests. I would even go as far as to give an onside to podular media.

@thisphantomfortress

wwhy don't you guys post the pods onto the forum? Here I am thinking you guys have it up

19 hours ago, Jovan said:

What do you use to listen to podcasts.

14 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Do you have a android mobile?

Yes

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

But but but don’t you have a brain the size of a planet? 

Come on mate don’t let us down, suss out this new technology caper!

I honestly just press the link which takes me to the site they use

Edited by haz

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I thought he had a good first half last night, in fact was probably our best. 

Yes. And this week he was up against an experienced full-back in Michael Marrone.

8 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

he's been better the last 2 weeks but still not good enough to be here next season 

I think he's on a two-year contract, so he will be here next season unless it's mutually terminated.

• 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I do wonder, a guy with a good pedigree that mostly played poorly, only to improve at the end of the season- was he playing injured?

Certainly hope so as if not he’ll be a list clogger next year otherwise 

Nah just needed to play against teenage defenders.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I do wonder, a guy with a good pedigree that mostly played poorly, only to improve at the end of the season- was he playing injured?

Nah he's shit. But good coaches have proven they can make shit players look decent if they're in the right team around them with the right playing style. So let's hope we get a good coach. 

10 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Fwiw when i spoke to Wazza at that mctf event in Feb or March or whenever it was, he was frustrated that Florin hadn't been able to get a clean run at it and had played most games carrying something. He thought he could a really good player at the level.

Im far from sold on him, but imo we saw enough in the last month to suggest there could be something worth perservering with, provided the price wasnt too high.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Fwiw when i spoke to Wazza at that mctf event in Feb or March or whenever it was, he was frustrated that Florin hadn't been able to get a clean run at it and had played most games carrying something. He thought he could a really good player at the level.

Im far from sold on him, but imo we saw enough in the last month to suggest there could be something worth perservering with, provided the price wasnt too high.

Agree. But this Marquee talk is gibberish. 

I would give him another crack. History shows us most Visas generally play their best in second and third seasons.

56 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Pretty sure there are lots of examples of Visas having a poor first season and then the season after really coming into their own. Nincovich is the one that springs to my mind 

But Ninkovic only got made marquee after he showed some potential despite a poor first season. We are talking about about Frenchman, who can't settle here, lacks work rate, can't stay on on his feet, set the record for most air swings in the box plus struggles to actually have a shot on target. He's too soft. Local players can contribute on par if not more.

I'm clearly not a big a fan, he's gotta go if you want to be a serious contender.

Edited by Mr MO

15 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But Ninkovic only got made marquee after he showed some potential despite a poor first season. We are talking about about Frenchman, who can't settle here, lacks work rate, can't stay on on his feet, set the record for most air swings in the box plus struggles to actually have a shot on target.

Let's not beat about the bush. Croissant underperformed for almost the whole season. It wouldn't surprise me, if our new manager is appointed reasonably quickly, to see him released from what I assume is a two-season contract. We have several younger players - Najjarine, Metcalfe, Genreau - who all deserve to be played before Berenguer does.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

But Ninkovic only got made marquee after he showed some potential despite a poor first season. We are talking about about Frenchman, who can't settle here, lacks work rate, can't stay on on his feet, set the record for most air swings in the box plus struggles to actually have a shot on target. He's too soft. Local players can contribute on par if not more.

I'm clearly not a big a fan, he's gotta go if you want to be a serious contender.

We use marquee spots as an accounting exercise. Look at it as we use the two m spots as a way to ‘increase’ the cap

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dylan said:

We use marquee spots as an accounting exercise. Look at it as we use the two m spots as a way to ‘increase’ the cap

That is not valid if you really want a quality player. What you are saying is that there is a group of players all of the same level, so they can fill the extra marquee spots to keep them all in the squad.

That is the exact mindset we’ve had in the  last years (bar Bruno) and failed miserably.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Not really. At least in the sense of signing a player and then moving them into a marquee allocation once the cards fall. We've done that once with Williams way back when, but every other player has been signed on a marquee contract. Marcin, Colazo and RDL have just presumably not been on a huge wicket, but they'd still be marquee wages.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Not really. At least in the sense of signing a player and then moving them into a marquee allocation once the cards fall. We've done that once with Williams way back when, but every other player has been signed on a marquee contract. Marcin, Colazo and RDL have just presumably not been on a huge wicket, but they'd still be marquee wages.

Our marquees:
14/15: Kennedy, Koren
15/16: Mooy
16/17: Fornaroli, Colazo
17/18: Fornaroli, Budzinski (IR McCormack?)
18/19: De Laet, Fornaroli

20 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I found on twitter a couple of years ago from an Aleague player manager this graphic which had the average wages of players. Wish I saved it but I do remember most visas being within the area of 400k ish and above. 

Edited by Dylan

19 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I found on twitter a couple of years ago from an Aleague player manager this graphic which had the average wages of players. Wish I saved it but I do remember most visas being within the area of 400k ish and above. 

It'd be a bloody interesting thing to know that's for sure. Re Florin, imo he'd be on 150-200k ish given where he came from and his history.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Our marquees:
14/15: Kennedy, Koren
15/16: Mooy
16/17: Fornaroli, Colazo
17/18: Fornaroli, Budzinski (IR McCormack?)
18/19: De Laet, Fornaroli

god we've had some shit marquee players compared to the rest of the league

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

It'd be a bloody interesting thing to know that's for sure. Re Florin, imo he'd be on 150-200k ish given where he came from and his history.

Yeah I am kicking myself I didnt save it.  I actually think I might have posted a link to the image. Ill see how good the search function is here