Melbourne Football

Welcome to Melbourne, Florin Berenguer

Embee

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Playing 4 in the middle with two up front?

Does that mean Wales would stay on the bench?

Interesting thought, but I think Joyce will swap Wales for Atkinson and probably Malik for Delbridge.

Florin will stay on the bench but come on earlier (hopefully) unless he has the balls to swap him directly with Brattan.

13 minutes ago, rass said:

Interesting thought, but I think Joyce will swap Wales for Atkinson and probably Malik for Delbridge.

Florin will stay on the bench but come on earlier (hopefully) unless he has the balls to swap him directly with Brattan.

These days you don't know who's fit until after the warm-up. For me, Brattan has had so many chances - he has really good matches and then he has ones where he is frustratingly impotent.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

These days you don't know who's fit until after the warm-up. For me, Brattan has had so many chances - he has really good matches and then he has ones where he is frustratingly impotent.

Looking at the squad, Metcalfe is the obvious one to be dropped, but I am not too sure about the second player. Perhaps Malik as he may struggle to overcome that corky in such a short timeframe.

1 hour ago, rass said:

At a guess i think we'll go with this on Sat...

Euge
Delbo Good Bart Jamo
Baccus Bratts
Florin
Wales RDL McGree

Subs ; Dario Malik Atkinson Griff

IMO retaining Griff for Florin is the only chance of a change to that, and that will be purely if they dont think he has the legs.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

At a guess i think we'll go with this on Sat...

Euge
Delbo Good Bart Jamo
Baccus Bratts
Florin
Wales RDL McGree

Subs ; Dario Malik Atkinson Griff

IMO retaining Griff for Florin is the only chance of a change to that, and that will be purely if they dont think he has the legs.

My preferred line up

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SF33 said:

He was absolutely dreadful last night. No other way you can put it. 

Zero impact on the game. But look around, and we've got a couple of others very similar - can look adequate in a team of 7-8 good players, but by themselves make very little contribution.

I think we've given Croissant plenty of time to settle in, but IMO he's a waste of a visa and squad place.

Disappointing.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Zero impact on the game. But look around, and we've got a couple of others very similar - can look adequate in a team of 7-8 good players, but by themselves make very little contribution.

I think we've given Croissant plenty of time to settle in, but IMO he's a waste of a visa and squad place.

Disappointing.

Disagree, as he is poor out wide but does good things centrally when he gets the ball there.

He is a central player and should be played there.

If, as we suspect, visa players are scouted primarily by the CFG network, I can see where we go wrong. The scouts are looking for players who are undervalued/out of favour in their present circumstances. The scouts aren't going to be familiar with the style of player required by any particular manager of a club in the CFG stable.

I think we just need to tighten up the recruitment side of things. IMO visa players need to be a level above locals. I can't see that Berenguer is any better than Genreau would have been; the latter just warming the bench at Zwolle.

• Like 1

@playmaker and I have said this a few times now.

FB is a central player. He is invisible out wide. He needs to play a roaming role in the centre, as the number 10, where he can join in and create between the lines of the opposition midfield and defence. 

He has the skills to unlock defences but the position he plays is so important to that. Call it a weakness if you want, that’s the reality.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harrison said:

FB is a central player. He is invisible out wide. He needs to play a roaming role in the centre, as the number 10, where he can join in and create between the lines of the opposition midfield and defence. 

He has the skills to unlock defences but the position he plays is so important to that. Call it a weakness if you want, that’s the reality.  

Totally agree.

49 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Which makes him a terrible signing.

When we recruited him we already had McGree, Vidosic and Caceres who all have #10 as their best position. Plus we had Brattan as a 4th option. We desperately needed a left winger, so we signed our 4th #10. 

Really heads should roll over this. Breath taking incompetence.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Given his playing history I’m really surprised how invisible he’s been (and how easily he seems to have got a starting XI spot). 

His playing history from Europe told me he wasn’t going to be a massive success story. We had this discussion when we signed  him and a many were hoping this was going to be another Novillo. It was then pointed out that both players can’t be compared looking at talent, academy and club history.

The A league isn’t as easy as many think in terms of fitness and climate, you can’t just bring second tier average players here. Thomasson from Adelaide confirmed that yesterday.

visa players just need to have that X factor.

7 hours ago, Mr MO said:

His playing history from Europe told me he wasn’t going to be a massive success story. We had this discussion when we signed  him and a many were hoping this was going to be another Novillo. It was then pointed out that both players can’t be compared looking at talent, academy and club history.

The A league isn’t as easy as many think in terms of fitness and climate, you can’t just bring second tier average players here. Thomasson from Adelaide confirmed that yesterday.

visa players just need to have that X factor.

Then his playing history in Europe should have told you that he was not a winger but rather a CM, so he never going to be a Novillo.

8 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Which makes him a terrible signing.

When we recruited him we already had McGree, Vidosic and Caceres who all have #10 as their best position. Plus we had Brattan as a 4th option. We desperately needed a left winger, so we signed our 4th #10. 

Really heads should roll over this. Breath taking incompetence.

Agree, more a reflection of the incompetence of our club rather than him as a player.

Budzinski V2.

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

If, as we suspect, visa players are scouted primarily by the CFG network, I can see where we go wrong. The scouts are looking for players who are undervalued/out of favour in their present circumstances. The scouts aren't going to be familiar with the style of player required by any particular manager of a club in the CFG stable.

I think we just need to tighten up the recruitment side of things. IMO visa players need to be a level above locals. I can't see that Berenguer is any better than Genreau would have been; the latter just warming the bench at Zwolle.

The thing that really grinds my gears is that Sydney seem to be able to do really well in this department, now the scouting network for them would have to be minimal and you would have to think that player agents do most of it.

The CFG scouting tactics just arnt good enough, especially if your going to come out and boast a world wide scouting network. Would rather see NPL players go through the club and try and find a diamond that way. Look at Kamsoba for Victory, energetic tricky player. The best we've come up with is stealing from CCM.

Can Melbourne City set up a proper school scholarship program? Where they eat breathe and sleep football or is this not within the rules @jw1739. Sorry mate I ask you because you are all over the rules. 

Also the now defunct AIS created some good players, are we better off with an AIS or how we as a country do it now considering we get these foreigners who flop in? 

4 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

The thing that really grinds my gears is that Sydney seem to be able to do really well in this department, now the scouting network for them would have to be minimal and you would have to think that player agents do most of it.

The CFG scouting tactics just arnt good enough, especially if your going to come out and boast a world wide scouting network. Would rather see NPL players go through the club and try and find a diamond that way. Look at Kamsoba for Victory, energetic tricky player. The best we've come up with is stealing from CCM.

Can Melbourne City set up a proper school scholarship program? Where they eat breathe and sleep football or is this not within the rules @jw1739. Sorry mate I ask you because you are all over the rules. 

Also the now defunct AIS created some good players, are we better off with an AIS or how we as a country do it now considering we get these foreigners who flop in? 

@HeartOfCity I think we already have this. Perhaps not "eat breathe and sleep football" but a start at least. https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/melbourne-city-college-football

I don't think there would be anything stopping anyone setting up an "Institute of Football" like the AIS was - whether it be a club or anyone else. IIRC both Arzani and Genreau were studying at Latrobe at the same time as being in the senior squad with City, which is again something like the AIS.

At a club level I would say cost would be the impediment.

@jw1739 @HeartOfCity

Interestingly, I don’t believe we don’t have a 2 star academy yet. This is the new FFA grading system and most clubs have achieved that status. I think we are working towards achieving it but haven’t yet, which is a surprise considering our youth is some of the best in the country. Obviously those players are older than the academy players. 

More information can be found here. 

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/more-hyundai-a-league-club-academies-earn-2-star-accreditation-ffa

Edited by Harrison

7 minutes ago, Harrison said:

@jw1739 @HeartOfCity

Interestingly, I don’t believe we don’t have a 2 star academy yet. This is the new FFA grading system and most clubs have achieved that status. I think we are working towards achieving it but haven’t yet, which is a surprise considering our youth is some of the best in the country. Obviously those players are older than the academy players. 

More information can be found here. 

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/more-hyundai-a-league-club-academies-earn-2-star-accreditation-ffa

Interesting. That dates back to March 2018 and mentions that Melbourne City FC and Melbourne Victory are awaiting admission of more youth teams into Victoria’s NPL competitions next season to progress their applications.
I wonder whether we are still "waiting" or whether there has been progress?

Many thanks for drawing our attention to this.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Then his playing history in Europe should have told you that he was not a winger but rather a CM, so he never doing to be a Novillo.

If he is so good in that prefered  position why isn’t he playing there?

You keep saying this and the guy isn’t super star in central or attacking midfield either. You make it sound like we put him in defence and that’s why can’t perform.

He just average and nothing special with an exception to the set pieces, not big issue but he isn’t the answer to our problems.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

You keep saying this and the guy isn’t super star in central or attacking midfield either. You make it sound like we put him in defence and that’s why can’t perform.

He just average and nothing special with an exception to the set pieces, not big issue but he isn’t the answer to our problems.

Oh, Jeez, please don't mention set pieces. Our (lack of) performance at set pieces has done my head in ever since the Heart days.

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

You have to ask Wazza that one because it makes no sense to me.

This is what his position is on tranfermarkt

So RW and RM are his weakest positions and that is where Wazza played him. Go figure that one out because I can't.

IMG_20181103_215807.thumb.jpg.9859a1d3fdc54368fb2c9e092edeb3ad.jpg

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Oh, Jeez, please don't mention set pieces. Our (lack of) performance at set pieces has done my head in ever since the Heart days.

Well I still wanted to outline that does do something right.

He was in excellent positions in front of goal last night, I just expect better regardless of your favourite position is 20meters to the left or right. Next year another visa player please.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That's not an assessment of "strength" - it's just illustrating where he's been played in a particular season /time period. It reflects his experience, rather than "strength" as such.

He has played CAM or CM 17 times for 3 assists and 5 goal.

I would say his strengths are in these positions.

Also the previous managers have obviously seen that he plays his best football in these positions.

Also worth noting it is a very different game playing down the spine and playing out wide.

I am not saying he is an outstanding player but I would like to play him where he naturally plays before I make that assessment.

It's only fair IMO,

and the boots issue is ridiculous.

Edited by playmaker

The position he's playing may be the bigger issue, but that wasn't the issue on Saturday as far as I was concerned. He had opportunities to make an impact and would either slip over or take a fresh air shot with the ball.

It seems that his confidence is shot and when that happens with a new foreign player, it seems like it's generally curtains for that player in this league. I hope he turns it around, but it's becoming less and less likely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SF33 said:

The position he's playing may be the bigger issue, but that wasn't the issue on Saturday as far as I was concerned. He had opportunities to make an impact and would either slip over or take a fresh air shot with the ball.

It seems that his confidence is shot and when that happens with a new foreign player, it seems like it's generally curtains for that player in this league. I hope he turns it around, but it's becoming less and less likely.

I agree. I actually think he is an ok player; he can do some nice things. But he also makes a few mistakes, such as an extra dribble or tries to take on one too many players and then coughs it up. 

I guess what i am trying to say is that he is a good player, but there's no real point of difference with him over a local player. 

• Like 1