Melbourne Football

Welcome to Melbourne, Florin Berenguer

Embee

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, playmaker said:

He is being played out of position, needs to be central as all his attributes I have seen so far indicates he is not a wide playing winger but rather a close ball control playmaker. Put him in the middle Wazza and see how he goes.

After last night he has all the makings of Koren 2.0 but less skill. He seems a strange type and he doesn't look like a winger or even a wide box to box. 

It's not easy coming into a new league in a different country but unless he can string 2 or 3 quality games he may be another player that didn't suit.

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

He is being played out of position, needs to be central as all his attributes I have seen so far indicates he is not a wide playing winger but rather a close ball control playmaker. Put him in the middle Wazza and see how he goes.

Correct, even Wales isn’t a real winger 

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

After last night he has all the makings of Koren 2.0 but less skill. He seems a strange type and he doesn't look like a winger or even a wide box to box. 

It's not easy coming into a new league in a different country but unless he can string 2 or 3 quality games he may be another player that didn't suit.

Bear in mind Robi Koren was a marquee player, whereas Berenguer is not. He's supposed to be a "left midfielder." (transfermarkt.co.uk). He's the one player we don't have contract details for - neither does transfermarkt - so we don't know how long we've got him for.

Yesterday was a dreadful day at the office for everyone so I'm not prepared to write anyone off yet. WTF City come out of the tunnel and look as though they've only just met in the dressing room is beyond me.

6 hours ago, playmaker said:

If he is not a winger and McGree is not a winger, Vidosic is not a winger and it is debatable if Wales is a winger, then who are the wingers in the squad we need a minimum of 2 for his preferred formation. All during preseason he played a combination of these four and O'Halloran on the wings.

35 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

If he is not a winger and McGree is not a winger, Vidosic is not a winger and it is debatable if Wales is a winger, then who are the wingers in the squad we need a minimum of 2 for his preferred formation. All during preseason he played a combination of these four and O'Halloran on the wings.

Yup hence we struggled to score in preseason and in the cup, we mostly dragged out small wins and draws. O Halloran wasn’t going to feature much in the starting line up anyway judging by this. Joyce is underestimating the league or overestimating his own players.

We have issue across the board. For example our captain, Jamieson show passion and works hard, but really has average technique and the last time he had a good cross in the box was 2015. We are relying on our full backs to give attacking impulses too much.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

He is not a winger, he is a mid-fielder.

IMG_20181103_215807.thumb.jpg.9859a1d3fdc54368fb2c9e092edeb3ad.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Lots of imports take time to get used to the league, Krishna & Marinkovic took a whole season to look decent & even Ross took a few weeks. I’m hopeful Florin can come good. 

I'm just concerned about the rumour that he was out until 4am the day of the game

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Chris p said:

What exactly is it that you do here, Florin ? 

People really rated him in his new position tonight, I remain on the fence regarding Florin's personal ability but having a player running as a Nr 10 role with a decent touch made other players play better tonight.

On 11/10/2018 at 0:17 PM, malloy said:

Fixed :P

But in all seriousness he was much more agressive last night. Chasing things down and forcing turnovers or defensive throw ins.

Maybe I am being unreasonable but I expect a Visa attacking midfielder to be able to do more than just chase and apply pressure.

He had a fair bit of time and space with the ball on Friday night and did very little with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inchcolm said:

If he's going to play that position, he needs a couple of more games there. In his 3rd match he must show his skills in both attacking and defending. Then I'll be in a better place to judge him. One thing is for sure, he's shown, he is better there than on the wing

I wonder if, had OHalloran not been injured, he would have started in a central role anyway. I.e. what he was bought here to do, not put on him as things changed. Wazza did say he is a Nonkovic type player.

5 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Maybe I am being unreasonable but I expect a Visa attacking midfielder to be able to do more than just chase and apply pressure.

He had a fair bit of time and space with the ball on Friday night and did very little with it.

He did do more than that. On a number of occasions he got forward and made passes or crosses into dangerous areas. Several were very close be being assists for goals. 

11 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

I wonder if, had OHalloran not been injured, he would have started in a central role anyway. I.e. what he was bought here to do, not put on him as things changed. Wazza did say he is a Nonkovic type player.

10 hours ago, haz said:

Who's that? A dollar store Ninković? :P

Fwiw, Ninkovic was pretty bloody average here in his first season. Completely different player 2nd season once he figured the league out...

TBH I wouldn't be going into raptures about Florin - or anyone else - just yet. Definitely the performance against Wellington was better by pretty well every player and the team as a whole, but IMO we're still a team struggling to reach the level that on paper we should be at. We don't move with the fluency that I would expect, nor do we put away enough of the chances we create, and we still seem to be "hanging on" in the last stages of matches. I've come to dread those few minutes of added time.

• 4 weeks later...

I quite like Croissant as a footballer when I've seen him in home matches. I can only hope for his sake that he's on just a one-season contract with us. He must wonder what he's let himself in for with Joyce after the relatively comfortable environment of Ligue 2 in France.