Melbourne Football

FFA Cup - Round of 16: City v Newcastle, AAMI Park, August 29 @ 7.30

Harrison

2 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Delbridge named man of the match lol 

yeah I thought he was our second worst. worst being Atkinson. 

all in all though a super pleasant evening. did what we had to do, bit of mongrel at times and then absolute class from the Tuna... can't ask for much more than that. 

5 hours ago, fensaddler said:

We'd also have to avoid the final round of NRL being played this weekend, and then NRL finals. Whilst there's only one team for us to worry about in VIC, this would be a much bigger deal for the NSW teams, and for Roar. Not insurmountable but bear in mind we use some of the same grounds, and any lengthening of the A League season means we have to step carefully around two other big codes. 

Certainly a reasonable point, but tbh it only really affects Sydney, Newy and maybe Brisbane. Can easy schedule those three away if need be, although you can def fit Newy and Brisbane in on the spare day. IMO Victoria, SA and WA are ripe for the picking that weekend.

24 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Certainly a reasonable point, but tbh it only really affects Sydney, Newy and maybe Brisbane. Can easy schedule those three away if need be, although you can def fit Newy and Brisbane in on the spare day. IMO Victoria, SA and WA are ripe for the picking that weekend.

Agreed. And we'll need to with 16 teams and 30 rounds... 

Cool calm and collected ....except Atkinson but can’t blame him as he was pretty much out of his normal position , Mcgree is a gun ...Dario plays like he’s a younger version of himself (positive) and Bruno is our saviour wooo ....Walesuck, Kamu clone for real, not gonna lie at times he looks promising with the build up and tekkerzzzz but he lacks that end finishing, so Kamu  ....

Delbridge has improved heaps since the semi final and tonight he proved it at home, fk the haters ...JAMO

Griffiths is a starter, he’s the Matic we were looking for, massive upgrade from The tard Bozanic

Eugene is a weird one , 2 FFA cup games and 0 conceded...gotta feel for Bouzanis, all in all he’s doing just fine to keep us in the comp

I wanted to see my boy O’Halloran and I’m sure you did too 

btw what happened in the active at second half, didn’t look too good from the other end with 5 securities roaming the area 

9 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Cool calm and collected ....except Atkinson but can’t blame him as he was pretty much out of his normal position , Mcgree is a gun ...Dario plays like he’s a younger version of himself (positive) and Bruno is our saviour wooo ....Walesuck, Kamu clone for real, not gonna lie at times he looks promising with the build up and tekkerzzzz but he lacks that end finishing, so Kamu  ....

Delbridge has improved heaps since the semi final and tonight he proved it at home, fk the haters ...JAMO

Griffiths is a starter, he’s the Matic we were looking for, massive upgrade from The tard Bozanic

Eugene is a weird one , 2 FFA cup games and 0 conceded...gotta feel for Bouzanis, all in all he’s doing just fine to keep us in the comp

I wanted to see my boy O’Halloran and I’m sure you did too 

btw what happened in the active at second half, didn’t look too good from the other end with 5 securities roaming the area 

Handbags. 

Not a great atmosphere from the active area tonight. I thought the group at the back were doing their best to undermine and disrupt a new capo which was very disappointing considering their experience in that very position. Particularly disappointing was the “you’ve got school in the morning” chant after a young lad was unfairly ejected for waving a flag. Seccos were completely to blame for the ejection and subsequent escalation. 

Let’s not forget we all support the same team here. 

Edited by NuggetsMcGreggor
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

Not a great atmosphere from the active area tonight. I thought the group at the back were doing their best to undermine and disrupt a new capo which was very disappointing considering their experience in that very position. Particularly disappointing was the “you’ve got school in the morning chant” after a young lad was unfairly ejected for waving a flag. Seccos were completely to blame for the ejection and subsequent escalation. 

*Comes in having a crack at every man and his dog but himself*

Let's not forget we all support the same team here. 

9 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

Not a great atmosphere from the active area tonight. I thought the group at the back were doing their best to undermine and disrupt a new capo which was very disappointing considering their experience in that very position. Particularly disappointing was the “you’ve got school in the morning” chant after a young lad was unfairly ejected for waving a flag. Seccos were completely to blame for the ejection and subsequent escalation. 

Melburnians may be laughing now that i got evicted but you just wait until i tell my Mum on them boy oh boy they will be fucked

• Like 1

That had 5:0 written all over it. Newcastle were diabolical. 

Good win and surprisingly half decent turnout.

Surprised O'Halloran didn't get minutes and Delbridge at right back seemed weird but it it worked. 

It was a good game to see where we were at.

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Delbridge at right back seemed weird but it it worked.

I wouldnt move him anymore in the centre. He was 50/50 everytime he had the ball. Sometimes he beats 2 players, whereas anothet time he will misplace a pass or lose the ball near our box.

Strange player, still makes me think of a giraffe. But if he gets better, then he could be a very strong utility

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

A little disappointed with the attendance. Thought we should have wrapped the match up in the first half. Lovely move leading up to Bruno's goal. Intensity dropped after the goal, and a lot of sloppy passing as the match wore on. Does Joyce have a thing against substitutes? Wales was clearly stuffed with 30 to go, and I thought we'd see O'Halloran but instead he brings on Atkinson who was ineffectual and must have been glad of the final whistle. Defence solid. Delbridge has improved out of sight. Malik, Jamieson, Schenkeveld had good ones. Brattan guilty of over-elaboration. We definitely need some secondary strike power otherwise we're going to rely too much on Bruno.

Don't know what happened in Active although it was only a few rows away from us. In a crowd of just 3,673 it looked to be an unnecessarily heavy-handed response from Security.

Good to be back watching live football again. Bring on the quarter-final against Wanderers.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I like the team photos with the flags after progression in the FFA cup. Is this an aussie thing or have I just not paid attention for the past 3 decades? 

I could be wrong, but I think it's just an Aussie thing. More aimed at the state league clubs who progress so that they have something to show for their good run

Rolled them without really getting out of second gear.

McGree, Vidosic, Bruno and Robo Cop all had really solid games IMO. Delbridge in particular has looked a lot better this pre-season which is encouraging. Bruno's in for a ripper season, I'm calling 20+ goals across cup and league.

In terms of a secondary striker @jw1739, personally I think it's a waste of money to invest too much in a player who's primary role is back-up, I think Vidosic can be that alternative striker when Bruno needs a rest or is injured. 

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Embee said:

Rolled them without really getting out of second gear.

McGree, Vidosic, Bruno and Robo Cop all had really solid games IMO. Delbridge in particular has looked a lot better this pre-season which is encouraging. Bruno's in for a ripper season, I'm calling 20+ goals across cup and league.

In terms of a secondary striker @jw1739, personally I think it's a waste of money to invest too much in a player who's primary role is back-up, I think Vidosic can be that alternative striker when Bruno needs a rest or is injured. 

@Embee Oh, I agree. I wasn't thinking of a secondary striker in that sense. I was thinking that other than Bruno we seem to be struggling to score so far this season. We had opportunities last night but no-one seemed able to strike the ball well enough to find the target. Vidosic has shown he can do it, and IMO he's a bit wasted out on the wing.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Embee Oh, I agree. I wasn't thinking of a secondary striker in that sense. I was thinking that other than Bruno we seem to be struggling to score so far this season. We had opportunities last night but no-one seemed able to strike the ball well enough to find the target. Vidosic has shown he can do it, and IMO he's a bit wasted out on the wing.

I think we can expect a few out of McGree (He had a pretty decent scoring record in a limited window at Newcastle) and hopefully Dario. It really is imperative that we use our marquee spot on a winger that offer some goal output though IMO, not only for the goals they themselves will supply but the space they will then open up for the some of the others to operate in, last season it was way too easy for teams to collapse onto Bruno whenever he received the ball with his back to goal.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the game. We were solid at the back and limited them to a couple of chances. It is creating goal opportunities that concerns me. Granted our goal was a flowing move with a wonderful finish. But we created very few opportunities. The only criticism I have was putting a right back on to play as a winger when he had a winger on the bench. Very strange decision.

8 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

I enjoyed the game. We were solid at the back and limited them to a couple of chances. It is creating goal opportunities that concerns me. Granted our goal was a flowing move with a wonderful finish. But we created very few opportunities. The only criticism I have was putting a right back on to play as a winger when he had a winger on the bench. Very strange decision.

If you want to get technical about it, Atkinson has probably spent more time in the youth teams as a winger than he ever did as a full back.

People are reading too deep into this situation IMO, O'Halloran will get his chance, we're still a long way from the beginning of the season and none of us really have any idea as to each player's individual fitness levels or training performances so far.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Don't know what happened in Active although it was only a few rows away from us. In a crowd of just 3,673 it looked to be an unnecessarily heavy-handed response from Security.

Likewise, we were just to the right of it, and almost next to the security and police. Could not really work out what was going on other than a. It might have involved a flag, b. It all seemed a bit of an overreaction and c. It generated a lot of impassioned shouting and gesturing. Notably a bloke there with his family just in front of us also pointed out to police and security that they were overreacting, despite his young daughter doing the classic 'don't get involved Dad, you're embarrassing me' routine...