Melbourne Football

Russel Griffiths (I hope I pronounced that correctly)

Dylan

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Rostyn Griffiths is 30 years old, and we've signed him for two seasons, i.e. until 31st May 2020. It looks as though he can't get a game under Joyce. This is the sort of thing that makes supporters lose confidence. WTF did we sign him for if we won't play him?

We don't play him because Baccus is better at the shuttle run test at training.

On 11/25/2018 at 4:04 PM, jw1739 said:

Rostyn Griffiths is 30 years old, and we've signed him for two seasons, i.e. until 31st May 2020. It looks as though he can't get a game under Joyce. This is the sort of thing that makes supporters lose confidence. WTF did we sign him for if we won't play him?

And we on this forum wonder why we  get upset and angry. Griffiths has disappeared into thin air  there is no mention of him being injured  or how long he will be out , so , where is he , are we going to use him or is he set to move on so that Wazza can keep Baccus after MOH gets fit.

On 25/11/2018 at 4:04 PM, jw1739 said:

We signed him so that Wazza could time him the arse so that he could fulfil his happy quota of giving some poor dud the arse every season. And then he could say that floggings will continue until morale and skin fold tests improve :tooth:

• 10 months later...

A week or so before round 1 I  had this bloke pegged as 4th or 5th choice midfielder and probably 5th choice centre back. He didn't get much love in the cup games and genuinely thought he would struggle. 

He was given a start against Adelaide and most probably due to the Cup game 3 days later and played well. Now what I really liked he was given another start yesterday and also played well. He didn't deserve his yellow (IMO) and I suspect he was dragged because he was getting a little edgy, with hindsight maybe the wrong player on a yellow was replaced. 

But I think he is becoming more important and allows us to play 2 more creative players, or advanced 8s and with the option of pushing Brillante Metcalfe and after yesterday Genreau and maybe later Cabrera we have a really exciting midfield. 

So for me playing Griffiths has been unexpected but looking good, well that's until he cops a red and loses a game for us.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Jovan said:

A week or so before round 1 I  had this bloke pegged as 4th or 5th choice midfielder and probably 5th choice centre back. He didn't get much love in the cup games and genuinely thought he would struggle. 

He was given a start against Adelaide and most probably due to the Cup game 3 days later and played well. Now what I really liked he was given another start yesterday and also played well. He didn't deserve his yellow (IMO) and I suspect he was dragged because he was getting a little edgy, with hindsight maybe the wrong player on a yellow was replaced. 

But I think he is becoming more important and allows us to play 2 more creative players, or advanced 8s and with the option of pushing Brillante Metcalfe and after yesterday Genreau and maybe later Cabrera we have a really exciting midfield. 

So for me playing Griffiths has been unexpected but looking good, well that's until he cops a red and loses a game for us.

And can hit a good long ball unlucky not to score yesterday 

My one concern with him is that he is a card waiting to happen. His interview after game he said his focus was to foul diamante and Kone so they didn't stroll through midfield. Interesting tactic, if he keeps that mindset he will pick up yellows early every game 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Had to go looking for this bloke’s thread, buried on page 3. 

Really like the way he goes about it. Last time he partnered with Curt he was good and they were solid as a pair. Tonight was even better. Griffiths suits being a CB really well and his versatility is a big bonus for us given we have issues with reliability. 

I’m not worried at all about next week either. Well done Griff. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Embee said:

I am very much enjoying the late career renaissance of Griffiths the Centre-Half.

Regardless of the performance of his replacement this week I'd be slotting him right back in.

Absolutely, you cant break up that GG partnership now. I also reckon Delboy has gone down a few rungs in Mombaerts eyes given the red cards etc

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Griffiths has a contract for next season, having re-signed with City right as the COVID-19 began to send the country into lockdown in March. But he admits he’s not sure it’s worth the paper it’s signed on, declaring the entire league could effectively be off contract in three weeks.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-citys-rostyn-griffiths-opens-up-on-mental-toll-of-hub-life-for-aleague-players/news-story/10fc98e1fe4d56a96c2e75be1d3cfb03

I note that Griffiths has signed a contract for next season. Not announced by the club, so I wonder how many others have been contracted for next season but we don't know about it?

Edited by jw1739

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Good interview with Griff here. https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/press-conference-rostyn-griffiths-100321

Very articulate with a few touches of the old country accent there! I predict he will make a good coach if he follows a coaching career.

Indeed.

Good point about the off the ball work. It’s why they kept turning over the ball.

Well made point about squad retention. A welcome change.

• 1 year later...

As one of the few supporters who actually have his name and number on my jersey, I'm sad he's left but happy he's staying with the Group. Wonder if the plan is to work as an assistant coach with Des Buckingham. I can see him as a particularly good man-manager in years to come

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

As one of the few supporters who actually have his name and number on my jersey, I'm sad he's left but happy he's staying with the Group. Wonder if the plan is to work as an assistant coach with Des Buckingham. I can see him as a particularly good man-manager in years to come

Well said. I would have a lot of confidence if those two were in charge of our lads.