Melbourne Football

FFA Cup - Round of 32: City v Roar, August 7 @ 7.30, Dolphin Stadium (QLD)

Harrison

I didn't catch the first half but from what I saw. Great result and a fantastic base to build from. Several huge concerns but more positives than negatives.

Galekovic no major balls ups, can't pass and looks cooked but with a few games should be a very very good reserve keeper. 

Bort was immense. If he stays fit he could decide how far we go this season. 

Delbridge not as bad as I remembered him and maybe a decent CB, didn't see him at FB but that just doesn't make sense. 

Atkinson very good. He has everything you want in a young up and coming first team player and at FB he played well both ways. 

Jamieson was servicable without being dominant, at this stage of the pre season I think he did what he had to do.

Overall the defense was our major strength and a huge positive. 

The midfield for me was a concern. 

Now this is in light of Brattan going down and who knows if that effected any mentally but we looked flat and disjointed. 

Malik was Malik. He didn't make his occasionally blunder and was solid. I know he divides opinion but I thought he was good.

Griffiths was almost unnoticeable. As I said I didn't see the first 40 minutes but in the second half he didn't do much but as a DM thats a good thing but overall he was servicable. 

Vidosic was good and will get better I liked what I saw, he has alot to his game and I think will be very important this season. 

Wales was decent without being outstanding I really can't see him as a starting player unless he improves heaps. 

McGree got me excited. I've never really watched him but he is IMO the signing of the season and I know this is big call but as good as Arzani. If he can improve then losing Arzani won't be a big loss as I first thought. 

Bruno. Where do you start. He does everything you want as a #9 plus he finds a way to score. He was ultimately the difference and if he stays fit will be the reason we do anything this season. 

O'Halloran was interesting. I don't think he is a standout visa player but he is definitely not a dud. I think and hope he can offer more and maybe be in Novillo territory come end of the season but also he has potential to end up another Marcin. Being August I'm in the positive camp.

Caceras was poor. He didn't get into the game and was peripheral. If he wants to start he has to improve dramatically. 

Lesiotis that young kid. Good debut but did nothing special, had a few touches but good to see a debutant.

Overall our defence was great our midfield was average and front third was okay.

Being August and after a win I'm pretty pumped and bullish for this season. 

Really solid performance that i felt we bossed for most of the game. Just about everyone played well, maybe Dario and Griffiths a little quiet but thought everyone contributed.
Bruno was excellent finishing aside despite being violated all night, and imo O'Halloran will do really well here. Was pleasantly surprised by Wales, even if he is still a bit green. Thought Delbridge was far more comfortable at CB and played reasonably well, although he was clearly a class below in terms of his passing. 

I thought we looked supremely fit and far more cohesive than what we did last year. Add a bit of polish (as in shoe, not Budzinski) in the attacking 3rd and we seriously have a side that can contend this year.

Brilliantlt taken goal and good news that Bratts has the all clear. Excited for the season ahead tbh.

• Like 1

Outstanding result for us. It must have been difficult for the boys to carry on knowing that Brattan was possibly seriously injured.

I'm puzzled by Joyce's selections, but I suppose he knows what he's doing.

9 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Hopefully MCFC allow members to attend the next FFA round for free as they did a couple years ago.

Are you sure? These matches are organized by FFA. We've played three "home" matches at AAMI in the Cup so far - vs. Phoenix in the Round of 16 on 26th August 2015, vs. WSW in a quarter-final on 21st September 2017 and the Final vs. Sydney on 30th November 2016. The semi-final vs. Victory in 2016 was their home match. I don't recall free admission for any of these matches.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Outstanding result for us. It must have been difficult for the boys to carry on knowing that Brattan was possibly seriously injured.

Are you sure? These matches are organized by FFA. We've played three "home" matches at AAMI in the Cup so far - vs. Phoenix in the Round of 16 on 26th August 2015, vs. WSW in a quarter-final on 21st September 2017 and the Final vs. Sydney on 30th November 2016. The semi-final vs. Victory in 2016 was their home match. I don't recall free admission for any of these matches.

Tbh i think one of them was free if you signed up as a member, perhaps the Nix or WSW match?

As far as selections go its impossible to know where everyone was at etc, but assuming all things being equal, I reckon playing Eugene to keep Dean on his toes, and Eug interested is a good move, esp as the the difference isnt THAT vast. There were rumours that Jamo got crook in India too so that might explain Delbridge at LB, and perhaps with O'Halloran they wanted him to run at tired defences, esp with the prospect of ET for a cup clash.

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm pretty sure the WSW match was free. I think we had to print the tickets though..