Melbourne Football

Michael O'Halloran

BearsOnTour

15 hours ago, haz said:

Baccus can be slutted around for the injured players. Since La Rocca played, maybe Malik could be the person he replaces in the squad? Or even Florian

I don't think that's true. You can't have a spare player paid outside the cap (but not a marquee) just to take the place of anyone who's "injured." Short-term injury replacements are supposed to come from the the youth team - let's face it, the club has over 40 players on its books. Injury replacement players have to be approved by FFA, and are for long-term injuries only.

It is quite clear that we have perfectly fit players - it's just that Joyce won't play them, or won't adjust his line-up to fit them in. La Rocca - played yesterday in the youth team. Caceres is another. Even O'Halloran himself - my sources tell me he's fit and raring to go.

In my view City are dangerously close to playing an ineligible player in Baccus.

I like him. He's probably one of the quickest blokes on the pitch I've ever seen, so he's a huge asset.

I'm struggling though with our structure of playing the quick guy as the main central striker. Just like Wales, I'd rather have him wider, with more space to exploit his pace. Last night, he looked dangerous when he was able to make diagonal runs behind the defence, but too often they sat back which made it difficult for him.

Still, I saw enough to say he will be a huge asset for us as long as we get the ball to him quickly.

Edited by rass
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, rass said:

I like him. He's probably one of the quickest blokes on the pitch I've ever seen, so he's a huge asset.

I'm struggling though with our structure of playing the quick guy as the main central striker. Just like Wales, I'd rather have him wider, with more space to exploit his pace. Last night, he looked dangerous when he was able to make diagonal runs behind the defence, but too often they sat back which made it difficult for him.

Still, I saw enough to say he will be a huge asset for us as long as we get the ball to him quickly.

Perhaps you're struggling, like I am, to understand the role of a quick man when our ball movement is so slow. By the time we get the ball into our front third, defences are compact without many places for MOH to run. If he runs into the front third with the ball there are usually 4 or 5 defenders and maybe only 1 of our players, so the ball recirculates. Advantage lost

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Perhaps you're struggling, like I am, to understand the role of a quick man when our ball movement is so slow. By the time we get the ball into our front third, defences are compact without many places for MOH to run. If he runs into the front third with the ball there are usually 4 or 5 defenders and maybe only 1 of our players, so the ball recirculates. Advantage lost

Got to get the ball forward quickly. Victory did it last night - four passes from one penalty area to the other. Wellington doing it and exploiting the pace of Krishna, Singh and Willo. A number of our players are repeatedly cutting inside and trying to beat one man too many. This what coaching is all about - they've all got talent, just get them out of bad habits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Agree with the above, but in fairness to both Wales and OHalloran, they both made terrific runs all night and were repeatedly ignored. Must be very frustrating.

I like Brattan as a player. His passing range is good, he has the skills and balances his attack well with defensive duties. 

But on multiple occasions last night he missed good passing opportunities in favour of keeping the ball. JW talks about this and I noticed it a lot last night. 

He needs to take a few more risks with those slide rule passes, especially with quick runners and double pivot behind him. 

I liked the midfield balance with Griffiths, Baccus and Brattan though. It is a really good combination. 

Edited by Harrison

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Got to get the ball forward quickly. Victory did it last night - four passes from one penalty area to the other. Wellington doing it and exploiting the pace of Krishna, Singh and Willo. A number of our players are repeatedly cutting inside and trying to beat one man too many. This what coaching is all about - they've all got talent, just get them out of bad habits.

Not just the ball. Often the ball arrives with either no forward passing options or maybe 1 and 3 or 4 defenders. rarely, we get supporting runs at the back post. We seem instructed to play the game in midfield or around our box, yet try to play a possession game from there rather than a counter-attacking style.

• 2 weeks later...

Joyce brought him here full of expectation. MOH came full of expectation.

Head Coach Warren Joyce said:  “Michael brings a wealth of experience from a number of clubs, including one of the biggest in Europe. He’s a very exciting player to watch - he has pace to burn and is capable of creating and scoring goals. He will bring excitement to the pitch. I still remember watching him at Bolton Wanderers where he played in the same youth team as Aaron Mooy.”

Michael O’Halloran said. “I’m coming with high hopes to play my part in a team that I feel are really going places, I’m here to improve the team, and to play my part to try and win the league, which is our first and foremost aim, and also to win the Asian Champions League.” “Aaron Mooy is one of my closest friends in football, he told me it was brilliant — a great club, great place, great people and a great opportunity for me.”

I believe the problems started pre season when he did did not start him in the cup matches. MOH questioned as why he was not starting and why Joyce looked content to play the same 4 players up front in all 3 matches and not start him; first game came on in the 87' min,second game no game time third game came on in the 75' min.  What stopped the Joyce and MOH man management problem surfacing earlier was his injury. I believe that is why Najjarine has had more game time. Looks like question Joyce and you are gone.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Joyce brought him here full of expectation. MOH came full of expectation.

Head Coach Warren Joyce said:  “Michael brings a wealth of experience from a number of clubs, including one of the biggest in Europe. He’s a very exciting player to watch - he has pace to burn and is capable of creating and scoring goals. He will bring excitement to the pitch. I still remember watching him at Bolton Wanderers where he played in the same youth team as Aaron Mooy.”

Michael O’Halloran said. “I’m coming with high hopes to play my part in a team that I feel are really going places, I’m here to improve the team, and to play my part to try and win the league, which is our first and foremost aim, and also to win the Asian Champions League.” “Aaron Mooy is one of my closest friends in football, he told me it was brilliant — a great club, great place, great people and a great opportunity for me.”

I believe the problems started pre season when he did did not start him in the cup matches. MOH questioned as why he was not starting and why Joyce looked content to play the same 4 players up front in all 3 matches and not start him; first game came on in the 87' min,second game no game time third game came on in the 75' min.  What stopped the Joyce and MOH man management problem surfacing earlier was his injury. I believe that is why Najjarine has had more game time. Looks like question Joyce and you are gone.

Theories:

1. Joyce only found out he was catholic when he got here.

2. Didn’t ask Joyce for his autograph on arrival 

3. Mentioned “sports science” when Joyce sprouted his train at 100% policy

4. Hit on Joyce’s mrs.

He's gone. I hear he cracked the shits and sulked off.

Strangely I'm more upset about this than the Bruno news. I had already accepted that Bruno's star was starting to fade, way before the big WJ fallout. As sad as it is to say, I saw him as the past of our club, where as I saw MOH as the future.

I couldn't wait to see him play as I thought he had the ability and speed to tear this league a new arsehole. Alas, it isn't meant to be.

I do however hear that we'll be signing a very impressive name. Should happen this week.

Yes his Australian dream turned into a nightmare.

"I’m here to improve the team, and to play my part to try and win the league, which is our first and foremost aim, and also to win the Asian Champions League.”  

I believe this part of his interview. May give an indication on one of the reasons he has gone. He came expecting to start and saw himself as a better player than Wales, Vidosic and McGree. but found himself no where near the staring XI. This assumption may have caused the friction between him and Joyce

3 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

He cannot walk out, he has a contract for 2 years. City would have to release him from the contract or he can go no where.

Understood of course. So, what has actually happened? He left CFA in a sulk when he wasn't selected? 

4 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

He cannot walk out, he has a contract for 2 years. City would have to release him from the contract or he can go no where.

In effect he will have 'asked for a transfer'. If we hold his contract there would need to be some sort of negotiation on a transfer fee. That will get sorted if he wants to go. No point keeping him in that situation. 

The irony is that in his initial cameos he looked really good, yet Joyce rarely played him and even gave old mate Berenguer game after non descript game ahead of him, on the assumption that Brenguer would improve, yet OHalloran never even got a start.

having said that it is consistent with previous Joyce behaviour 

• Like 4

Seriously if true if Ohalloran has walked that's just another complete fuck up.

Let the bloke play and if he is no good then fine let him go. 

French dude is probably a dud but the still needs a couple games but Ohalloran hasn't had a sniff. 

Complete disgrace. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Heart_Attack said:

I’d like to think we’re all jumping to conclusions, but an unexplained absence from the team sheet did lead to my first thoughts being another falling out with Joyce really is the most likely scenario :angry:

One way or another it's a mistake by the club. Either they haven't advised of any injuries/illnesses etc. or there's been an issue between him and Joyce.