Melbourne Football

Michael O'Halloran

BearsOnTour

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

I think we still recruit a genuine 10 (Honda pls) and then basically play the in form 4 from there. Dario in particular can play all 4 of the spots competently and so even if there is an injury or suspension in the group we have good cover in all spots. The one that comes off the bench when all 5 are available, which imo will be less often than not in the nature of football, plays 30 min-ish every week as a super sub.

Vidosic is good cover. Not sure he is starting quality provided O'Halloran performs. 

A sub playing 30 minutes under Joyce?! Surely you jest. 

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Vidosic is good cover. Not sure he is starting quality provided O'Halloran performs. 

A sub playing 30 minutes under Joyce?! Surely you jest. 

IMO he's absolutely starting quality, but by recruiting another 10 we then have 5 genuine guns for 4 positions, which covers us for injury and suspensions. For me he'd be the sub atm, but as i said i think having all 5 available at once would happen in less than half the games of the season as is the nature of football clubs.

Point taken re Joyce and subs haha, but tbf we didnt have players of Dario's quality on the bench last season.

EDIT : i'm obv being quite optimistic re O'Halloran, but the point remains. Even if he's not as good as Dario, he becomes a pretty good sub option.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

IMO he's absolutely starting quality, but by recruiting another 10 we then have 5 genuine guns for 4 positions, which covers us for injury and suspensions. For me he'd be the sub atm, but as i said i think having all 5 available at once would happen in less than half the games of the season as is the nature of football clubs.

Point taken re Joyce and subs haha, but tbf we didnt have players of Dario's quality on the bench last season.

I think we are in agreement. By starting quality I'm just talking about the best players for each position. Is he better than Arzani, O'Halloran or Fornaroli in their respective positions? Only O'Halloran at this point, but ideally Michael will be an upgrade. If he fails or there are injuries then Vidosic is an excellent replacement.

Don't get me wrong, Vidosic is a very important player precisely because he is a competent utility. Not sure there are many players like him in the league. 

But if he isn't better than the wide players or Fornaroli, then is he better than our incoming marquee 10? Again, hopefully not. We really need someone like Ninkovic or Adrian M. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rass said:

Interesting to see how the appointment of his dad to the coaching structure affects things. 

Yes, that intrigues me too. It rather seemed from the Wellington saga that you got the two of them or neither of them.

47 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Can't really fit all of O'Halloran, Vidosic, Arzani and Fornaroli. 

And if we do get a marquee replacement for Budski then that will further complicate matters. My gut feel is that if we do get another marquee then, despite what's been said so far, Arzani will go to Manchester and then out on loan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

EDIT : i'm obv being quite optimistic re O'Halloran, but the point remains. Even if he's not as good as Dario, he becomes a pretty good sub option.

Just about your edited part I pray to god that this isn't the case. Please not another wasted visa spot on the bench. Will be pretty upset if that's happens.*

*This is without entertaining the thought of winning the league with him on the bench 

6 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Will reserve my excitement until I’ve actually seen him play.

What?

That's bullshit. You need an opinion instantly and then once you've stated your opinion every minor thing that that player does to support your opinion mention it.

There is no room for a logical common sense approach around here. WTF has got into you.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Will reserve my excitement until I’ve actually seen him play.

46 minutes ago, Jovan said:

What?

That's bullshit. You need an opinion instantly and then once you've stated your opinion every minor thing that that player does to support your opinion mention it.

There is no room for a logical common sense approach around here. WTF has got into you.

Yeah get on Youtube and Fifa you twat

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jovan said:

What?

I would like to apologise to you, to your family, to other users of this forum, their families, everyone who goes to Melbourne city games,everyone who doesn’t go to Melbourne city games and the populations of Australia and Scotland. What was I thinking! Did I forget it was the off season?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 25/06/2018 at 4:59 AM, Jovan said:

What?

Dat cognitive bias.

we dont need anymore protestants. we need more diversity.

there is beauty in islam -- no capital i. la illah ila allah, لا اله الا الله

we will only achieve one-ness if we become one with each other and the one God. 

All successful teams (Real Madrid, Barcelona) embrace diversity. InshaAllah we achieve all through God, the one, or your God, the science. 

We all seek a deity to explain our existence. Let us embrace one another with open arms. Love wins Alhamdullilah 

Edited by strider

17 minutes ago, strider said:

we dont need anymore protestants. we need more diversity.

there is beauty in islam -- no capital i. la illah ila allah, لا اله الا الله

we will only achieve one-ness if we become one with each other and the one God. 

All successful teams (Real Madrid, Barcelona) embrace diversity. InshaAllah we achieve all through God, the one, or your God, the science. 

We all seek a deity to explain our existence. Let us embrace one another with open arms. Love wins Alhamdullilah 

Teaching at a Muslim school has done a number on ya

15 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I had a quick look and FIFA 18 has his acceleration at 94 and sprint speed at 92! Not the most reliable but still a good indication. 

So that makes him, using FIFA ratings, probably one of the fastest players in the A-league. 

Brandan Replacement gone well

On 6/9/2018 at 2:31 PM, jw1739 said:

@Dylan for Bullshit Watch.

His actually correct... his only not getting a game because he is a practicing Catholic and the fans are using him as a scapegoat cos they are shit, they did not mind their Catholic players in the 90's and 2000's as long as they were winning but when they are losing... its a different story.

He easily should have a spot in their first side otherwise - He be a good A-League player.

Edited by cadete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is a lot more to come from him. He was an outstanding player at St Johnstone. But he needs to play every week he plays off his confidence. Coming on from the bench he tends to sulk for about 10 mins the switches on. Hopefully he done enough in that cameo to start the next game

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/why-michael-ohalloran-swapped-rangers-for-melbourne-city/1xyju744dg6kl1ff5yj04s725o

A big move made easier by a number of factors

At a time when a number of Australians are making the move to Scotland, Michael O'Halloran has done the opposite - trading Rangers for Melbourne City. 

Still just 27 years old, the number ten turned winger hasn't come to the A-League for a holiday and looks more than capable of filling the shoes left by City's last star Scotsman Ross McCormack.

Born and raised in Scotland, O'Halloran's decision to come to Australia was by no means a simple one, but a number of factors combined to make an otherwise intimidating move, a pretty straight forward one.

First and foremost, having extended family located in Melbourne has made the transition a much smoother one for O'Halloran, who has never played outside of Europe. 

"I've got some family over here, which is a big help and they’ve put me under their wing and showed me around the city," O'Halloran told Goal.

"It seems like a really nice place. 

"Obviously it’s a big factor (having family here), it’s helpful in terms of settling in. It was another plus in coming over here."

With the open arms of family awaiting him in Melbourne, some encouragement from Socceroo and former City midfielder Aaron Mooy also made the decision easier.

Having first crossed paths at Bolton as teenagers, Mooy and O'Halloran have been good mates ever since with the now Huddersfield player's glowing endorsement of City ticking yet another box for O'Halloran. 

"Azza is one of my closest friends in football so when I heard of the first bit of interest I was onto him and he told me what a great place and club it is," he said.

"He was nothing but positive about it so that was a big factor in my decision as well.

"He’s flying at the minute, I’ve played with him from a young age and he’s always been technically gifted.

"He’s good with both feet. When I used to play with him he played an advanced role but now he’s settled into a deeper position and you can see he’s really good at dictating the play." 

Last but not least, game time is what any footballer craves and it's something O'Halloran simply wasn't getting at Rangers. 

Making just 25 starts across three seasons for the Glasgow club, in between a loan move to St Johnstone, the 27-year-old decided a change was needed. 

"I didn’t play as much as I would’ve liked, but that’s football isn’t it," he said.

"At the time I had to move on and play football again. It wasn’t great."

While departing the Scottish Premiership, O'Halloran believes the league, which is home to several Aussies this season, is of a much higher standard than most realise.  

"A lot of people don’t give it the credit it deserves until they go play in it and realise the standard," he said.

"It doesn’t really get the coverage, but there’s some big teams and some really good players as well.

"I really enjoyed playing at home in Scotland, but it’s a fresh challenge now here and I look forward to this one."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

lets bloody hope joyce plays him, pretty pissed we havent seen him on the field yet.  I reckon he could be the goods

Well if Joyce thinks he's not up to it then we will never know. 

I'm pretty confident he will get a series of games. Even Budzinski was given a crack. So ultimately if he is good enough he should get games. Having said that Kilkenny, Cahill and Brandan would say different. 

35 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Well if Joyce thinks he's not up to it then we will never know. 

I'm pretty confident he will get a series of games. Even Budzinski was given a crack. So ultimately if he is good enough he should get games. Having said that Kilkenny, Cahill and Brandan would say different. 

TBF, Brandan was coming back from a serious knee injury and was still not 100% fit when he left.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rass said:

TBF, Brandan was coming back from a serious knee injury and was still not 100% fit when he left.

Actually he played almost straight after he left. Obviously he was never going to be 100% but fit enough to play and from memory he scored.

12 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Actually he played almost straight after he left. Obviously he was never going to be 100% but fit enough to play and from memory he scored.

The announcement of the mutual termination of his loan agreement was on 18th December 2017. He played for CA Temperley on 29th January 2018 - coming on as a sub in the 59th minute. He then had three more matches coming on as a sub before resuming a starting position and playing the full 90 minutes. He didn't score until his 9th match back for Temperley.

This season he's playing for Club Athletico San Martin (transfer).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The announcement of the mutual termination of his loan agreement was on 18th December 2017. He played for CA Temperley on 29th January 2018 - coming on as a sub in the 59th minute. He then had three more matches coming on as a sub before resuming a starting position and playing the full 90 minutes. He didn't score until his 9th match back for Temperley.

This season he's playing for Club Athletico San Martin (transfer).

Might point was kind of true, but the line the club spun he wasn't selected based on fitness wasn't entirely accurate either.

And while we are at in the world of hindsight it was one of the bigger fuck ups CFG have made, that is going into the second half of the season and not replacing an obviously important visa player. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Might point was kind of true, but the line the club spun he wasn't selected based on fitness wasn't entirely accurate either.

And while we are at in the world of hindsight it was one of the bigger fuck ups CFG have made, that is going into the second half of the season and not replacing an obviously important visa player. 

It was really only the scoring bit that was inaccurate. I'd say any player moving between clubs on two different continents such as Australia and South America would be likely to have 4-6 weeks getting acclimatised before playing again, especially if he hasn't played for 9 months before the move. Brandan was fit enough to play, or damned close to it, while he was here.

Joyce is a stubborn old mule at times. 

• 4 weeks later...