Melbourne Football

World Cup Thread

moops

1 hour ago, haz said:

=> SPAIN COACH GONE

=> 2026 World Cup will be held in Canada/USA/Mexico

Wow, Spain sacks their coach. Understandable, I would have done it too if I were in their position, how disrespectful to organise another job just before the peak national team competition and then not tell your employer

Just now, belaguttman said:

Wow, Spain sacks their coach. Understandable, I would have done it too if I were in their position, how disrespectful to organise another job just before the peak national team competition and then not tell your employer

Cmon France do something pleaseeeeeee

6 hours ago, haz said:

Dont eat your cereal just yet Niko!

I don't think we'll be that bad. And losing 5-0 to France isn't anywhere near as bad as losing the same to Russia. 

But yes, there's always that potential to do worse. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

And didn't the Socceroos draw against these guys? Just goes to show how shithouse and out of touch Ange was.

But that Saudi team was completely different to the one this morning. 

This mornings team had probably the worst defensive structure ever to have played at a world cup. They could possibly cop the most goals ever (16 South Korea 1954 ). They still have to play Uruguay and Egypt. 

• Like 4

We drew them away 2-2 after a very late Saudi equaliser, then beat them 3-1 at home in a very dominant performance. 

Saudi's are decent in the middle east, but total garbage away from the sauna.

IMO Ange's insistence on playing the same way every time made it quite easy to coach against him, especially if you were comfortable to sit back and counter attack.

• Like 5

From their 3 prior WC appearances, the Saudis have lost all 6 games against European teams, with a collective goal margin of 0-21.

Add to that Middle Eastern teams tend to travel poorly, I doubt you can read much into the scoreline.

Certainly not a good look, but then again Asian sides don't often make it past the group stage (which should be the bigger issue for the AFC.

We've made it out 1 time in the last three WCs, Japan and South Korea 2 from 5 (although they both hosted one during that time so they had an easier run)

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

IMO Ange's insistence on playing the same way every time made it quite easy to coach against him, especially if you were comfortable to sit back and counter attack.

I'm more of the opinion that against lesser sides (Thailand for instance) that the only way to win is to play a high pressing possession based style similar to what Ange was trying to create. 

And in a world cup against other pro active teams it could be the only way we could have realistically got a result.

Now all of this we will never know and we have Van Marwijk who is probably the complete opposite so we are now definitely in the sit back tough it out situation that basically we did in the 80s 90s and early 2000s.

3 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I am currently reading "Bookie Gambler Fixer Spy" so when I saw the score this morning I immediately thought the match was fixed.

And you'd probably be bang on. 

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

We drew them away 2-2 after a very late Saudi equaliser, then beat them 3-1 at home in a very dominant performance. 

Saudi's are decent in the middle east, but total garbage away from the sauna.

This is so true.

I recall the home game against Japan where they say back comfortably with their tight defensive banks of 4 and we had no idea what to do, resulting in a sucker goal.

Kenny Lowe then did the same to us with the same result. A disappointing loss after we had just belted the tards.

It's OK to play that way but if you don't have options B or C when A isn't working, then you're going to get wiped, especially at the top level.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

I'm more of the opinion that against lesser sides (Thailand for instance) that the only way to win is to play a high pressing possession based style similar to what Ange was trying to create. 

And in a world cup against other pro active teams it could be the only way we could have realistically got a result.

Now all of this we will never know and we have Van Marwijk who is probably the complete opposite so we are now definitely in the sit back tough it out situation that basically we did in the 80s 90s and early 2000s.

And you'd probably be bang on. 

I really admired what Ange was trying to do and i do think it was the sort of tactic that would stand up in a tournament like the WC. Our history against the European sides under Ange showed we were capable of mixing it with the best, even if we didnt necessarily win the games.
Against the lesser teams i thought the opposition would use it against us, letting us have a glut of useless possession, causing us to get sucked further and further forward and nicking us the other way.

I dont think his approach to games was a bad one, but he needed to be a bit more pragmatic and not so stubborn when it came to getting the result sometimes imo. Case in point Japan away where a point would have seen us guaranteed direct qualification, and we should have parked the biggest fucking bus Tokyo had ever seen. Instead we played like fucking cowboys and got nicked the other way like usual.

In many ways i think City tried to mirror that in the JVS/Valkanis season where teams would just let us have it and wait til we fucked up. Possession for possessions sake.

• Like 2

I think that Ange was playing the long game, trying to establish an expectation and an enduring style of play, even though we didn't currently have the cattle to execute it properly. Of course, that leads to more failures in the short-term but focuses on coaching and player development on solving the problems that this generation can't solve. Reactive football has greater chances of short-term success but doesn't push player skill development in the same way

• Like 1

Just want to say how good it is being in Germany while the WC is on!

PROS

1. People actually are interested in it, and most daily conversations revolve around the results
  2. The game times are great; 2pm, 5pm, 8pm
  3. (Dont know about AUS) But a number of broadcasters have the rights to upload full match highlights to YouTube and to Google Fixtures/Results.
  4. All games are on free-to-air with no ad breaks!

CONS

1. All telecasts are in German, but I know enough to understand key-terms (Still much better then listening to FOX commentators)
Edited by haz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, haz said:

PROS

1. People actually are interested in it, and most daily conversations revolve around the results
  3. (Dont know about AUS) But a number of broadcasters have the rights to upload full match highlights to YouTube and to Google Fixtures/Results.

CONS

1. All telecasts are in German, but I know enough to understand key-terms (Still much better then listening to FOX commentators)

Only a handful of games for sbs, everything on optus sport

australia's match against france is on at 8pm, but majority of games are on at 10pm, 1am and 4am

39 minutes ago, recyclosaurusrex said:

has optus broken for anyone else? won't work on chrome, firefox or my phone as of 5 minutes ago...

Servers were down/crashed

couldnt handle the amount of people wanting to watch,

pathetic shitstains

http://buffstreamz.com/view/soccer.php

Buff stream has been reliable for previous games and it still is with HD quality

Edited by Young Polak

18 hours ago, haz said:

PROS

CONS

Yeah, I must say I miss that sort of thing. The buzz that you get when you're in a "football country." Other than the people I know from being a Heart/City supporter I don't think anyone else I know even knows it's on, let alone results.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Ye I went the fetch box for the very reason that the reddit streams can be hit and miss. Surprisingly the coverage has been great, 8 channels on the sports package, its good shit. I got it free too coz I've been with Optus for over 10 years. 

Might look into it, if you got it for free