Melbourne Football

Best XI 2018/2019

Harrison

11 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Bench Wales, Caceres, Malik, Griffiths, Galekovic. 

Delbridge?

Florin and Vidosic can interchange with each other.

Team is stacked.

LINEUP111536752635076.png

Id switch Florin to LW, Vidosic to the bench (1st sub), McGree to CAM and Griffiths to CDM.

Honestly, the whole team could rotate in so many ways! Which is not a bad thing

• Like 3

Bruno rated by FIFA as 2nd best in the league by FIFA (behind Honda). Bort with a nice upgrade and Griffiths & MOH are up there too

https://www.futwiz.com/en/fifa19/league/hyundai-a-league/rating/all/all/351/0

Melbourne City:

https://www.futwiz.com/en/fifa19/club/melbourne-city/rating/all/all/112224/0

McGree has been done dirty

Edited by haz

5 hours ago, haz said:

Frenchy isnt in game. Last Fifa was LM rated 70 ovr with 83 pace, 69 dribblinh and 64 shooting

City 2018.PNG

Have no idea how FIFA does it but I always get the impression that once they start modelling the lower world leagues the players look nothing like the game and their ratings are a bit suspect.

To highlight our ridiculous depth, have a look at a few projected XI's.

Best XI

Birighitti

Atkinson De Laet Schenkeveld Jamieson

Griffiths Brattan

O’Halloran McGree Berenguer

Fornaroli

2nd XI           

Galekovic

Pierias La Rocca Delbridge Metcalfe

Malik Caceres

Najjar Wales Najjarine

Vidosic

SUBS : Graham Lesiotis Portelli Iannuci Delianov Kis Cavallo

every player in the 2nd XI bar maybe metcalfe could easily be slotted in

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Best XI

Birighitti

Griffiths Brattan

Fornaroli

2nd XI           

Galekovic

Malik Caceres

Najjar Wales Najjarine

Vidosic

but but Victory have Honda!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

Best XI

Birighitti

Griffiths Brattan

Fornaroli

2nd XI           

Galekovic

Malik Caceres

Najjar Wales Najjarine

Vidosic

I just don't get it. Vidosic, Caceres and Galekovic are the only ones worth talking about. The rest are completely subpar or too raw to call. 

Edited by morphine
  • Like 1

In the Hyundai A-League Competition Rules Summary https://www.a-league.com.au/competition-rules

It stated 

Substitution Rules

For all Matches, Clubs must select five (5) Players as substitutes on the ‘Starting List’, including one (1) nominated Goalkeeper.

For all Matches played during the Hyundai A-League Regular Season and the Hyundai A-League Finals Series, up to a maximum of three (3) Players (including a Goalkeeper) may be replaced at any time during a Match, up until the conclusion of normal playing time or extra time, if played. The Replacement Player must be one of the substitutes selected on the ‘Starting List’ as directed above.

I thought it was 6 . If 5 as it states we have

Goalkeepers  Mark Birighitti Eugene Galekovic , 1 sub (that gives 10 starts and 4 subs from the remainder)

Scott Jamieson,  Nathaniel Atkinson  Richie De Laet  Harrison Delbridge,  Bart Schenkeveld   Iacopo La Rocca

Osama Malik, Rostyn Griffths, Luke Brattan, Anthony Caceres Riley McGree, Anthony Caceres, Lachlan Wales, Dario Vidosic,  Michael O’Halloran,  Florin Berenguer  

Bruno Fornaroli, 

This give us great depth but 3 of these players will not make the bench. I am a great believer in picking your best team and when you have found it and it's winning there is no need to change it, unless through injury. So I would create a problem for myself by continually not playing 8 of these players. Some say keep them happy with rotation but in my opinion this disrupts a wining team. I could not justify loosing a game because I was rotating players out of a winning team. Tiredness will not be a problem as the overseas players are used to playing 40-50 games a season.

17 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

In the Hyundai A-League Competition Rules Summary https://www.a-league.com.au/competition-rules

It stated 

Substitution Rules

For all Matches, Clubs must select five (5) Players as substitutes on the ‘Starting List’, including one (1) nominated Goalkeeper.

For all Matches played during the Hyundai A-League Regular Season and the Hyundai A-League Finals Series, up to a maximum of three (3) Players (including a Goalkeeper) may be replaced at any time during a Match, up until the conclusion of normal playing time or extra time, if played. The Replacement Player must be one of the substitutes selected on the ‘Starting List’ as directed above.

I thought it was 6 . If 5 as it states we have

Goalkeepers  Mark Birighitti Eugene Galekovic , 1 sub (that gives 10 starts and 4 subs from the remainder)

Scott Jamieson,  Nathaniel Atkinson  Richie De Laet  Harrison Delbridge,  Bart Schenkeveld   Iacopo La Rocca

Osama Malik, Rostyn Griffths, Luke Brattan, Anthony Caceres Riley McGree, Anthony Caceres, Lachlan Wales, Dario Vidosic,  Michael O’Halloran,  Florin Berenguer  

Bruno Fornaroli, 

This give us great depth but 3 of these players will not make the bench. I am a great believer in picking your best team and when you have found it and it's winning there is no need to change it, unless through injury. So I would create a problem for myself by continually not playing 8 of these players. Some say keep them happy with rotation but in my opinion this disrupts a wining team. I could not justify loosing a game because I was rotating players out of a winning team. Tiredness will not be a problem as the overseas players are used to playing 40-50 games a season.

We’re the rich underdogs of this season , we’ll for sure do some serious damage to our opponents with this well built squad ..

In Joyce We Trust 

With all the changes made I would like to think that as a bare minimum all 5 visas should start for the first month.

Bart and Bruno are locks. So therefore you'd think that MOH and french guy and now this albino dude would all get first crack. 

So for the first time ever we are entering into the season with potentially starting all 5 visas. 

3 hours ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Can Mcgree do the job well as a creative/goal scoring number 10? Thats the only position i am concerned about because caceres goes missing for long periods of the game and i think the french guy will be used as a left winger.

Think McGree can play that role looking at his preseason, seems to have very good vision and passing.

6 hours ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Can Mcgree do the job well as a creative/goal scoring number 10? Thats the only position i am concerned about because caceres goes missing for long periods of the game and i think the french guy will be used as a left winger.

5 goals, 1 Assists (I'm sure he had 3) in less then half a season with jets, then about another 3 goals and 1 assist with us in pre-season.

I think he'll be alright. But Frenchy might even play in that position so who knows?

10 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Mcgree has been IMO our best player of the preseason !

100% Agree.

My predicted XI for the 1st league game is.

---------------------Birighitti---------------------

Atkinson--De Laet--Bort--Jamieson

--------------Griffiths---Brattan--------------

----------------------Mcgree----------------------

O'Halloran-----Fornaroli-----Berenguer

The only variation could be Atkinson to the bench, for De Laet to RB and Delbridge/Malik to CB, or Vidosic to replace one of the wingers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, haz said:

100% Agree.

My predicted XI for the 1st league game is.

---------------------Birighitti---------------------

Atkinson--De Laet--Bort--Jamieson

--------------Griffiths---Brattan--------------

----------------------Mcgree----------------------

O'Halloran-----Fornaroli-----Berenguer

The only variation could be Atkinson to the bench, for De Laet to RB and Delbridge/Malik to CB, or Vidosic to replace one of the wingers.

If he starts all his visa players, I agree with your selection. However i see him playing it safer in the opening match, I do not believe he will risk an attacking 4:2:1:3. He prefers a 4:2:3:1 Therefore I see him playing O'Halloran and Berenguer deeper along side McGree

28 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

If he starts all his visa players, I agree with your selection. However i see him playing it safer in the opening match, I do not believe he will risk an attacking 4:2:1:3. He prefers a 4:2:3:1 Therefore I see him playing O'Halloran and Berenguer deeper along side McGree

Agree re formation, however I can't see Vidosic not starting.

• Like 1

My best XI looking ahead to round 1:

Birighitti

Atkinson    de Laet    Schenkeveld   Jamieson

Brattan    McGree  

O'Halloran     Berenguer       Vidosic

Fornaroli                                         

Bench:
Galekovic
La Rocca/Good
Griffiths 
Caceres
Najjarine

Omitted: La Rocca/Good, Delbridge, Wales, Pieiras, Najjar

Injured: Malik

A few assumptions: Berenguer is more a central midfielder than a winger, Joyce rightly sees Vidosic as undroppable, de Laet will be played as a CB

I'd like to see an attacking set up (so McGree rather than Griffiths as a CDM). Also, I think if La Rocca is fit and can produce early last season's form (or Good is fit and capable) then Atkinson could go to the bench and de Laet to the right (perhaps he's better at RB than CB; that'll be interesting to watch over the season).

We look very deep and strong in every position, except arguably striker. Fornaroli only played 10 games (8 starts) last season, so arguably expecting 27 games from him this season is being a little hopeful. And I'm not sure how Vidosic would go in the striker role for a long stretch of games (he scores goals almost at the rate of a striker, but I'm unsure how he'd go as a lone striker [also I think we'd get the most out of Vidosic, which can be a lot, if he's CAM or RW]). And playing a youth as a striker (e.g. Najjar) is inherently a gamble.

Nonetheless overall our squad is a very good story going into the season. Only 1 position with a question mark over it, and if I had to bet I don't think the striker position will be an issue at all this season. Also all of our starting XI are in peak ages for footballers--most of the 11 are between 27 and 29, a few others are 30 or 31, and there's 1 or 2 who are 19--so I'm predicting much less squad instability than last season, and I'll say that teams that are successful over a season often have stable and consistent teams like ours. So our squad gives us great chances going into this season IMO.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

My best XI looking ahead to round 1:

Birighitti

Atkinson    de Laet    Schenkeveld   Jamieson

Brattan    McGree  

O'Halloran     Berenguer       Vidosic

Fornaroli                                         

Bench:
Galekovic
La Rocca/Good
Griffiths 
Caceres
Najjarine

Omitted: La Rocca/Good, Delbridge, Wales, Pieiras, Najjar

Injured: Malik

A few assumptions: Berenguer is more a central midfielder than a winger, Joyce rightly sees Vidosic as undroppable, de Laet will be played as a CB

I'd like to see an attacking set up (so McGree rather than Griffiths as a CDM). Also, I think if La Rocca is fit and can produce early last season's form (or Good is fit and capable) then Atkinson could go to the bench and de Laet to the right (perhaps he's better at RB than CB; that'll be interesting to watch over the season).

We look very deep and strong in every position, except arguably striker. Fornaroli only played 10 games (8 starts) last season, so arguably expecting 27 games from him this season is being a little hopeful. And I'm not sure how Vidosic would go in the striker role for a long stretch of games (he scores goals almost at the rate of a striker, but I'm unsure how he'd go as a lone striker [also I think we'd get the most out of Vidosic, which can be a lot, if he's CAM or RW]). And playing a youth as a striker (e.g. Najjar) is inherently a gamble.

Nonetheless overall our squad is a very good story going into the season. Only 1 position with a question mark over it, and if I had to bet I don't think the striker position will be an issue at all this season. Also all of our starting XI are in peak ages for footballers--most of the 11 are between 27 and 29, a few others are 30 or 31, and there's 1 or 2 who are 19--so I'm predicting much less squad instability than last season, and I'll say that teams that are successful over a season often have stable and consistent teams like ours. So our squad gives us great chances going into this season IMO.

Malik is Injured? Source? I still see Vidosic as our 60min sub unless Waz rates him above MOH or Berenguer. Mcgree has been arguably our best player thus far, so I would rather him higher up in CAM? On another note, I don't know if you caught the last FFA Cup game Murf, but Griffiths was an absolute wall at CDM, cut out many passes and made a handful of tacks. He was my MOM.

As I said in another thread (or this one?), MOH and Berenguer will make or break our season, I expect 5 goals from each minimum, with a few assists. I also think Good could be a dark horse, if he hits the ground running and stays fit, a backline of Bart, Good, De Laet, Jamieson/Atkinson, Birighitti will be near impossible to score against.

This is all my opinion obviously.

Edited by haz

4 minutes ago, haz said:

MOH and Berenguer will make or break our season, I expect 5 goals from each minimum, with a few assists.

Adding to this,

The last two seasons the goals scored for the top two have been:

========1st---2nd

2017/18: 64-----50

2016/17: 55-----49

Based on this, I would say that if we want to finish within the top 2, we need a minimum 50 goals scored. Hence making the assumption based on previous seasons, this is the expectation I have for people:

Name------------Goals

Fornaroli:--------16

Vidosic:-----------8

Mcgree:-----------7

O'Halloran:-------5

Berenguer:-------5

Defenders:-------4

Caceras:----------2

Wales:-------------2

Youth:-------------1