Melbourne Football

Womens - Where are they now?

haz

• 1 month later...

By the way. Record breaking Wleague team. Something that will never be repeated. Yet not one award?

goes to prove that the Wleague community hates us and it’s just one big Matilda’s old girls club.

Managed to find something to criticise this season, being we haven’t really allowed young players to come through (something that I actually agree with them) but used it as a stick to beat us with all season

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dylan said:

By the way. Record breaking Wleague team. Something that will never be repeated. Yet not one award?

goes to prove that the Wleague community hates us and it’s just one big Matilda’s old girls club.

Managed to find something to criticise this season, being we haven’t really allowed young players to come through (something that I actually agree with them) but used it as a stick to beat us with all season

Totally agree with this, second sentence in particular. The saltiness of certain commentators was so obvious this year and last. Actually watched the Dolan/Warren thing but didn't really think about it at the time, but it in hindsight it is glaring that there was barely a mention. Think the team probably knew and that was pretty much reflected in the comments Jess made post grand final. If certain players such as Jess Fishlock, Lauren Barnes and Yukari Kinga don't come down next season, we may well see more young players come through. There were young players in the first season team that have moved onto other clubs and different opportunities.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, luka74 said:

Totally agree with this, second sentence in particular. The saltiness of certain commentators was so obvious this year and last. Actually watched the Dolan/Warren thing but didn't really think about it at the time, but it in hindsight it is glaring that there was barely a mention. Think the team probably knew and that was pretty much reflected in the comments Jess made post grand final. If certain players such as Jess Fishlock, Lauren Barnes and Yukari Kinga don't come down next season, we may well see more young players come through. There were young players in the first season team that have moved onto other clubs and different opportunities.

I dont think fishlock will be back. 

I hope Barnesy plays again, such a good player.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 11:13 AM, Embee said:

Another Pep update, will be the first Australian to coach at Wembley in the Women's FA Cup Final

http://thewomensgame.com/news/montemurro-envisaging-a-packed-wembley-490026/page0

Unfortunately the gunners lost the FA cup final 3-1 to Chelsea. They did win the League Cup earlier in the year, beating Manchester City. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/20/2018 at 1:25 PM, Dylan said:

Chidiac signed for Athleti. Great move for the kid. Was disopointed she left us but got a bit home sick

And Luik signed for Levante

Great news for Alex, wish her all the best. Great to see Aivi kicking on also. Was an important part of our squad.

Edited by luka74

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
2 hours ago, luka74 said:

Currently watching Steph Catley make her debut for Arsenal. Kim Little still in the gunners side. They are up against Reading, who have a certain Goatlock in their side this year. 

I jnow everyone talks up Fishlock, but imo, Kim Little was the real star of the team when she played for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Former women’s team stalwart and club legend Rebekah Stott has announced via social media that she has been diagnosed with stage 3 hodgkin's lymphoma. Considering the grit and determination she always showed in a city shirt I am sure she will win the battle, however I suggest going to her twitter or insta to leave a message of support. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 02/11/2021 at 10:21 AM, Tommykins said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/de-vanna-embroiled-in-football-australia-intimidation-row-20211101-p5951l.html

It's going to be rather messy between now and when the current Matilda's drama comes to an end.

Precisely the sort of reason why I don't see why women's football and men's football should be administered by the same organisation. Doing so is just "sexism correctness" and I don't see that it adds value to either. 

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Precisely the sort of reason why I don't see why women's football and men's football should be administered by the same organisation. Doing so is just "sexism correctness" and I don't see that it adds value to either. 

Don't get this at all. First, there should be one governing body regarding the rules - don't see the upside of having two and lots of downside. Secondly, they have outsourced the complaint to an independent body so whether two organisations exist and they have complaints then they will always send it to an independent  organisation. Having one organisation saves cost. I also noticed that all other sports have one organisation with two wings.

• 4 months later...
22 hours ago, malloy said:

I miss watching Little, such a class player.

That season was so good. Little, Beattie, De Vanna, the one and only Jess Fishlock. What a privilege it was to watch them. 

Just in passing I note that Joe Montemurro is now Head Coach of the Juventus women's team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That season was so good. Little, Beattie, De Vanna, the one and only Jess Fishlock. What a privilege it was to watch them. 

Just in passing I note that Joe Montemurro is now Head Coach of the Juventus women's team.

Can we say that Joe is Melbourne City's best ever export?

• Like 1