Melbourne Football

The VAR

Shahanga

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/08/2020 at 8:13 PM, Shahanga said:

Alas will ride again in the finals.

its like the coronavirus. Can’t kill the bastard.

I'm okay with VAR, but what needs sorting are the blokes (or chicks) operating it.

Imagine we lose a grand final due a massive howler of a call or non call, or winning it due a correct VAR decision that would never have been made before. 

VAR is here permanently, it just needs to made to work. Which in the long run it will.

32 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm okay with VAR, but what needs sorting are the blokes (or chicks) operating it.

Imagine we lose a grand final due a massive howler of a call or non call, or winning it due a correct VAR decision that would never have been made before. 

VAR is here permanently, it just needs to made to work. Which in the long run it will.

What would be a disaster, is if the VAR, after working for the whole season, stopped working during the grand final randomly.

Just imagine.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So City vs WSW last Friday.

I actually have a problem with the VAR on that disallowed goal (& seeing as it didn’t affect the result it seems a good non emotional time to discuss it).

The VAR ref seems to be using a micrometre to decided on offside. Some would say “but it’s still offside”. I would argue otherwise. Why?

1) how accurate is that line on the screen? Some computer programme has generated it, but what level of error does it have? No parallax errors at all? 
2) when did the ball actually get kicked. Someone has to decide that. Down to what order of accuracy can they assess it?

So they are taking something that has quite a few potential errors and are then pretending it has sub millimetre accuracy. 
Use a much thicker line, please.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I actually have a problem with the VAR on that disallowed goal (& seeing as it didn’t affect the result it seems a good non emotional time to discuss it).

The VAR ref seems to be using a micrometre to decided on offside. Some would say “but it’s still offside”. I would argue otherwise. Why?

1) how accurate is that line on the screen? Some computer programme has generated it, but what level of error does it have? No parallax errors at all? 
2) when did the ball actually get kicked. Someone has to decide that. Down to what order of accuracy can they assess it?

So they are taking something that has quite a few potential errors and are then pretending it has sub millimetre accuracy. 

I think they called it because it then took the controversy away from the shoulder barge from Nabbout. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Add to that when the players feet are not offside but their shoulders or head is.

Add to that the VAR is dependent on camera angles and as Rudan pointed out this season there are less cameras so there are less angles hence visibility is reduced.

Kill the VAR.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, n i k o said:

I think they called it because it then took the controversy away from the shoulder barge from Nabbout. 

If that was the case, I’m actually happier. Last thing we want to see is millimetre madness for offsides.

As to the VAR, it’s not the scourge it used to be. Definitely the less they use it, the better.

Has anyone ever questioned about the lines that the VAR uses to measure and visually see if there is an offside?

Like from what we see, they use the camera angle from the main broadcasting camera or similar in some instances in the past. Hasn't it occurred to anyone that in itself could be just bogus bullshit measuring? We always argue about whether the ball has crossed the line and it is debated, depending on the angle of the camera you may get two different conclusions (unless there is a camera positioned on the goal line in the epl to give a definitive answer)

Judging offside by 'millimetres' from angles that I have seen within the A-League... I reckon is a bit of an oversight that no one really brought up and there must be a margin of errors within what's visually presented. I'm not sold on the VAR being this fucking tedious on the offside

Disclaimer: I was at the wsw home game and haven't had a good look at what the VAR observed during this game and haven't had time to look for this highlight after.

4 hours ago, Young Polak said:

Has anyone ever questioned about the lines that the VAR uses to measure and visually see if there is an offside?

Like from what we see, they use the camera angle from the main broadcasting camera or similar in some instances in the past. Hasn't it occurred to anyone that in itself could be just bogus bullshit measuring? We always argue about whether the ball has crossed the line and it is debated, depending on the angle of the camera you may get two different conclusions (unless there is a camera positioned on the goal line in the epl to give a definitive answer)

Judging offside by 'millimetres' from angles that I have seen within the A-League... I reckon is a bit of an oversight that no one really brought up and there must be a margin of errors within what's visually presented. I'm not sold on the VAR being this fucking tedious on the offside

Disclaimer: I was at the wsw home game and haven't had a good look at what the VAR observed during this game and haven't had time to look for this highlight after.

See Shahanga's post last Monday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have always believed that the lines should be a certain thickness (much thicker than now). An offside is called only if the attacker's line fully surpasses the defender's line. This will create a margin for any of these bullshit millimeter calls. No different to how the the ball needs to 100% pass the side-line to be out. Lines are measured from the most forward playable part of the body (pretty much anything except arms).

There is no reason why this can't be done. If lines are overlapping, the system will report a clash and hence NO offside. This way the system is implemented whereby there is a clear YES or NO answer to the offside. There will be margins of error due to line placement, when the ball was kicked etc. but if the lines are thicker and the overlap rule is applied, it should allow for these errors.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

If that was the case, I’m actually happier. Last thing we want to see is millimetre madness for offsides.

As to the VAR, it’s not the scourge it used to be. Definitely the less they use it, the better.

I don't know if it was. Just my gut feel they jumped onto it because there would have been such heat over the concussion resulting in a goal. 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2021 at 11:46 PM, n i k o said:

TBH I think this is absolutely the reason. I can't remember what minute it was, but had it been allowed we would have scored three in a very short number of minutes - we had them on the ropes - and they were looking for a way to disallow the "goal." Complete misuse/abuse of the technology by the video assisted referee.

I’ll defend the VAR even though I’m not a big fan of it...it was offside from the image I saw. Close but probably consistent with similar calls they’ve made using the technology they’ve got. As for the on field ref, he got it wrong by not calling it a foul. Clear foul IMO. King gets a few wrong. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

After last night I'm convinced that the game is being ruined by VAR. Our disallowed goal was not contested by anyone from Western except perhaps Young. Two players collided and one fell over that's all, and the ref allowed play to go on. How far back are you going to review the play? It's a game played by real people in real time, not by computers in slow motion.

Goal-line technology yes, VAR no.

IMO the point that administrators fail to grasp is that support for our game here is small at best and association football is not the number one game. If you're in Europe or various other countries you can afford to piss off a percentage of fans because there's plenty waiting in the wings to replace them. That is not the case here - if you piss off 10% of the regulars then your attendance falls by 10%, and it's hard to get them back once their habit is broken.

IMO VAR is not the only example. Sanitising the atmosphere by putting the squeeze on active has had the same effect.

• Like 2

With our use of the VAR another issue for me is that fans do not know who the video-assisted referee actually is, unless it's published somewhere that I haven't found yet. In the EPL, for example, the names of the officials including the VAR are published for every match.

• Like 1