Melbourne Football

Harrison Delbridge

Forever City

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The whole Berenguer contract has been an utter disaster. We get more out of cameo appearances by our academy players than we've seen out of him in nearly two seasons. Noone isn't much better either.

Sounds like a hard worker and great guy but it’s been a waste of 2 seasons..not worth marquee money in a salary capped league. You have to get your visas right and we haven’t with this one 

33 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Sounds like a hard worker and great guy but it’s been a waste of 2 seasons..not worth marquee money in a salary capped league. You have to get your visas right and we haven’t with this one 

It's more than that IMO. Demonstrates some weak coaching. Berenguer and Noone haven't been worthy starting players for some time, but Mombaerts has kept playing them, and left his subs far too late. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's more than that IMO. Demonstrates some weak coaching. Berenguer and Noone haven't been worthy starting players for some time, but Mombaerts has kept playing them, and left his subs far too late. 

Yep just like Joyce and JVS... Mombaerts leaves his subs way too late 73’ yesterday for first sub. 

More worrying   Mombaerts said he was happy with the second half.. don’t know what game he was watching we were toothless and never look liked scoring just midfield posession didn’t have much time in our attacking third 

• Like 1

Is there a romantic link between Delbo and Andy Harper? Harper on Sunday shootout lambasting Erik for airing his disappointment in Harrison for his 3 red cards. He genuinely can't  objectively comment on his performances. It is actually possible he has a lower football IQ than Archie.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Is there a romantic link between Delbo and Andy Harper? Harper on Sunday shootout lambasting Erik for airing his disappointment in Harrison for his 3 red cards. He genuinely can't  objectively comment on his performances. It is actually possible he has a lower football IQ than Archie.

Come on mate, that is a bit low....

8 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Yep just like Joyce and JVS... Mombaerts leaves his subs way too late 73’ yesterday for first sub. 

More worrying   Mombaerts said he was happy with the second half.. don’t know what game he was watching we were toothless and never look liked scoring just midfield posession didn’t have much time in our attacking third 

I just don't get the sub selections being made soo late in games when we are losing... Also do not understand how there was anything to be happy about from that game yesterday. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I just don't get the sub selections being made soo late in games when we are losing... Also do not understand how there was anything to be happy about from that game yesterday. 

Totally agree. We need a coach who's got the balls to get stuck into our squad and tell them that we need grit, determination, and a desire to play for the shirt. I'm fed up to the back teeth with the weak attitude displayed by our club.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Totally agree. We need a coach who's got the balls to get stuck into our squad and tell them that we need grit, determination, and a desire to play for the shirt. I'm fed up to the back teeth with the weak attitude displayed by our club.

They need to hire a new script writer as the same dribble is getting tiring... 

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Wasn’t that why warren joyce was given the job because of our soft mentality and nothing changed under him 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

You've gotta remember Atkinson and Wales both came on after the red; Atkinson to fix up the RB spot as Noone was kind of playing the Right Wing Back spot and Wales to give speed when playing with 10.

So in the context they make sense. 

The lateness of trying to make a difference via subs is a big big problem as you say. As were the tactics to begin with 😒

• 1 month later...

No doubt he’s rusty but it’s pretty basic defensive stuff and he made three errors in a single piece of play. He cleared the ball down the line when under no pressure, then he played Chianese onside and finally he just ambled back as Fornaroli cut inside him for the cross.

It’s not good enough and he needs to improve quickly because we can’t afford losses. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Harrison said:

No doubt he’s rusty but it’s pretty basic defensive stuff and he made three errors in a single piece of play. He cleared the ball down the line when under no pressure, then he played Chianese onside and finally he just ambled back as Fornaroli cut inside him for the cross.

It’s not good enough and he needs to improve quickly because we can’t afford losses. 

Was that when he was playing RB?

When Perth are up and running they are simply breathtaking and the best team to watch in league. I can't imagine it's super easy coming on in defence in the middle of that, especially not in your preferred position

Yes he was at fault probably for Bruno goal, but apart from that he was apart of a back 4 that held them out. Something that not many teams could do, and something I didn't think this team was capable of

Now he has an opportunity back at CB, ifs up to him to reclaim it and not let Griffiths back in

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Don't think we should be too harsh on individuals when the boys have come back from Perth with the three points. We've beaten Perth only 8 times in 10 seasons.  It's a team game, and players are going to show ups and downs. Jamo has been bagged incessantly on here but he came up with two assists. Berenguer came up with a Bruno-esque goal, and Susaeta quietened his critics with a lovely run and goal. On the other side of the ledger Luna has received plenty of praise in recent weeks but missed an absolute sitter that could have made it 4-2.

So it's swings and roundabouts. 

Fair point for sure jw. I made my feeling known about just how big the win was. I want every player to do better. Perfect example is Berenguer. He's been great last handful of games and deserves credit.

But comparing a Luna miss that was on target and saved to an average stint from Delbridge who has been a massive liability a lot of the season is a stretch and a reasonably big one at that. His poor play put us in a position we needn't be in. 

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Fair point for sure jw. I made my feeling known about just how big the win was. I want every player to do better. Perfect example is Berenguer. He's been great last handful of games and deserves credit.

But comparing a Luna miss that was on target and saved to an average stint from Delbridge who has been a massive liability a lot of the season is a stretch and a reasonably big one at that. His poor play put us in a position we needn't be in. 

If we had another healthy CB Delbridge wouldn't be anywhere near the team but 100% agree with what you're saying. Just looks like a man who's down on confidence atm.

5 hours ago, Harrison said:

It’s irrelevant where he was playing because they were basic errors. And playing Chianese onside was even worse because he was at the bottom of the defensive line and so knew where he needed to be.

I agree just because I can't be bothered discussing something that may impact the high from the massive win that we had.

Ultimately with all the errors and brilliance we demonstrated during that great win All the players were involved with the win.

It was a game of 2 different halves but as a whole we were superior in attack and in defence and that's why we won 2-3.

I will leave it at that.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
24 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Seems like Delbo is all but gone then, I wonder if City's plan is to wait until the January transfer window to pick someone up. 

In the interim, the plan must be to use Griffiths with Kerrin Stokes off the bench (is KS a centre half though?/has anyone seen much of him before?)

Stokes is a centre-back. He's only 18 though.

Croydon Kings' NPL centre back Kerrin Stokes, 16, has won a two-year contract with the A-League's richest club. He had a standout season under coach, ex Socceroo, Adelaide City and Adelaide United defender Angelo Costanzo. A Croydon Kings official confirmed the move.Aug 30, 2019

Squad is looking a bit ordinary really.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Stokes is a centre-back. He's only 18 though.

Croydon Kings' NPL centre back Kerrin Stokes, 16, has won a two-year contract with the A-League's richest club. He had a standout season under coach, ex Socceroo, Adelaide City and Adelaide United defender Angelo Costanzo. A Croydon Kings official confirmed the move.Aug 30, 2019

Squad is looking a bit ordinary really.

Sqaud compared to others is decent just not much creativity in the middle and no defensive cover 

Edited by CityBoyz

Griffiths is more than adequate imo. Had his wife not had to have surgery and he do the quarantine he'd have been the starting CB, as he was when we broke for COVID, and Windbichler would have had to wait for a run of poor form or injuries to get his shot imo. We do need a 3rd CB that is quality however, and even better if it can push one of those Griff or Good to backup. The chances of a team going through the season without losing a CB to injury or suspension are slim to none.
IMO we'll be across it though, i dont see that we'd have let Windy go without something lined up.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Griffiths is more than adequate imo. Had his wife not had to have surgery and he do the quarantine he'd have been the starting CB, as he was when we broke for COVID, and Windbichler would have had to wait for a run of poor form or injuries to get his shot imo. We do need a 3rd CB that is quality however, and even better if it can push one of those Griff or Good to backup. The chances of a team going through the season without losing a CB to injury or suspension are slim to none.
IMO we'll be across it though, i dont see that we'd have let Windy go without something lined up.

I haven't seen a team for the draw up in Newcastle - is Berenguer fit yet?

The highlights are on the club website - a quick look and it seems our defence was outnumbered and out-jumped for the first goal.

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I'm the complete opposite regarding Griffiths, I think he is a midfielder who can play CB as a back up as cover for a week or two. I don't think we can go in with him being our starting CB. Everyone was concerned about Delbo being a red card candidate, I feel exactly the same about Griffiths especially against a striker with genuine pace

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bt50 said:

No idea. Moderately concerning, much more so if he doesnt play in the Rat on saturday

Ship him out if doesn’t play and can’t get fit year after year. 4 goals and a back heel in 3 years, give another visa player a go.

January transfer window is around the corner.

Edited by Mr MO

50 minutes ago, neio said:

I'm the complete opposite regarding Griffiths, I think he is a midfielder who can play CB as a back up as cover for a week or two. I don't think we can go in with him being our starting CB. Everyone was concerned about Delbo being a red card candidate, I feel exactly the same about Griffiths especially against a striker with genuine pace

Except that unlike Delboi there's actually no substance to the Griffiths concerns. He's only been sent off twice in his entire career (Deboi has six sendoffs), and I'm pretty sure at least one of those was for a second yellow.

At his current age and physical profile I feel like Rostyn is much more suited to playing as a centre half anyway. Playing in central/defensive midfield results in substantially more play occurring either alongside or behind you, whereas as a central defender you are often positioned behind the play, making his declining speed/athleticism less of a factor. He reads the play well, is adept at winning the ball and is also excellent in the air.

As @bt50 stated, if it weren't for quarantining during last season he likely would've been our starting defender for the rest of the season, he was performing quite well in the role. 

Edited by Embee

17 minutes ago, Embee said:

Except that unlike Delboi there's actually no substance to the Griffiths concerns. He's only been sent off twice in his entire career, and I'm pretty sure at least one of those was for a second yellow.

At his current age and physical profile I feel like Rostyn is much more suited to playing as a centre half anyway. Playing in central/defensive midfield results in substantially more play occurring either alongside or behind you, whereas as a central defender you are often positioned behind the play, making his declining speed/athleticism less of a factor. He reads the play well, is adept at winning the ball and is also excellent in the air.

As @bt50 stated, if it weren't for quarantining during last season he likely would've been our starting defender for the rest of the season, he was performing quite well in the role. 

Totally agree.

I shared that walking red card view initially but the more ive seen of him the less i agree and as Embee said i think the stats back that up too.
My view is that he's a big fan of the set the tone yellow card where he whacks or clatters someone clumsily (perhaps intentionally) and as a result he leaves that impression that he's a liability. The reality would seem to suggest he pulls his head in after he gives that cheap one away.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Totally agree.

I shared that walking red card view initially but the more ive seen of him the less i agree and as Embee said i think the stats back that up too.
My view is that he's a big fan of the set the tone yellow card where he whacks or clatters someone clumsily and as a result he leaves that impression that he's a liability. The reality would seem to suggest he pulls his head in after he gives that cheap one away.

I think you’ll find in Australia (without upsetting people) that the playing style of Delbridge is seen by some as good defending. We have two camps ball playing/position defender and tackling defender.

sorry I realise you are talking about Griffiths here.

Edited by Mr MO

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Griffiths attitude when playing in centre back compared to midfield is different. I remember him being a lot more aggressive in tackles in the midfield. He seemed to tow that line when he played in defence. That was my observation anyway. And it would make sense for a player to approach both positions differently so I'm probably right :up:

• Like 2