Melbourne Football

National Youth League 2017/18

jw1739

Not sure that it's too important from a City perspective. He was one of 6 Scholarship players in the senior squad. Perhaps a little surprising, but maybe he was homesick or something like that. His departure makes room for another Scholarship player, so we might see Atkinson elevated in due course.

16 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Melbourne City’s Youth have booked their place in the 2017/18 Y-League Grand Final with a come from behind 4-3 over Adelaide United on Monday. 

Goals: Metcalfe 6' Najjarine 30' Bates 76' Pierias 81'

Killing it. Hope to see the youth boys get some minutes in the senior team

Melbourne City Y-League Head Coach Joe Palatsides has commended his side’s effort to defeat Adelaide United 4-3 on Monday and secure a Y-League Grand Final berth, but has cautioned that there are areas that still need to improve.

Despite leading 2-1 at half time thanks to goals from Braedyn Crowley and Ramy Najjarine, two converted penalties by Reds captain Charlie Deveraux meant that City trailed 3-2 with only 15 minutes to go in Monday’s game at the City Football Academy.

An own goal by Adelaide goalkeeper Cameron Cook in the 76th minute would tie the game up however, and Dylan Pierias would combine brilliantly with Gianluca Iannucci to grab City an 80th minute winner and secure City a berth in the Y-League Grand Final.

Being the only side in the Y-League’s Group A that had a mathematical chance of catching City coming into the contest, the Reds came out hard against City; employing a suffocating press that for stretches of the game had Adelaide completely dominating their City opponents, and Palatsides acknowledged his side struggled at times:

“[I told the boys] It wasn’t our best performance,” he said.

“To Adelaide’s credit, they pressed us very high and they had a lot of energy in their game and they made it really difficult for us.

“We probably didn’t handle it well.

“We wanted to keep playing [City’s possession based game], and on days when we execute well we can play through a lot of teams.

“But today we didn’t execute well.

“We talked about that post match, I gave them credit for trying to play how we wanted to play but if you don’t execute correctly you leave yourselves open and I think that we left ourselves open.

“In the end I think Adelaide could have got one or two goals from our mistakes, but having said that we probably missed a lot of easy chances as well.”

Despite this, Palatsides praised his sides spirit in coming from behind to grind out the win:

“There’s an attribute that coaches can’t really teach players,” he explained

“That’s the ability to turn games around and believe in yourself that much that you know that you’re not going to lose,

“I think that this bunch of kids have got that self-belief, that they know they’re never beaten, and that’s a great attribute to have as a football team and as football players.”

One player in particular that impressed in the win was Lucas Portelli, the big central defender making a number of key stops in defence and proving an effective catalyst for a number of City attacks through his pinpoint long passing, and Palatsides was effusive in his praise in the youngster:

“Lucas has been an exceptional player over the past year – not that he wasn’t before hand – but you never know how a young player is going to develop,” he explained.

“He’s been one of the players that we’ve earmarked and said that he could really grow this year and he has.

“He made a few mistakes today as well, which are probably a bit more evident when you’re in defence, but he was excellent.”

The win has booked City’s place in the Y-League Grand Final for the second straight year, City having defeated Sydney FC 3-2 in the 2016/17 season finale, and Palatsides allowed himself a rare moment of pride in reflecting on the achievement of his side:

“I think it’s a great achievement to get them in.” he said

“We talk about the development of footballers, and that’s our key goal, but at the end of the day you have to be able to win,

“These boys have ground out another grand final and that hopefully will be three titles in four years. [City having won the 2014/15 competition under the previous Y-League format]”

The success of City’s academy does of course primarily depend upon the quality of the player that it produces for the senior side.

One of the players that has made the jump this year is Daniel Arzani, who shocked many with his skill and dare when he had a match winning 40-minute cameo as a substitute against the Wellington Phoenix on Sunday.

Count Palatsides however, amongst the number that was in no way taken aback by what the 19-year-old was able to do:

“He doesn’t surprise me at all,” he said

“I’ve been advocating that he’s a good player and that he’s going to make a difference for a long time.

“I think he’s world class [at some of the things he does],

“Being able to play one-one-one, he’s as good as anyone in the world because he can just glide past players.

“He knows he has to work defensively and I think that’s what the boss [Senior Head Coach Warren Joyce] has been telling him about.

“But it doesn’t surprise me at all, we always knew this was going to happen and hopefully it continues on a regular basis, because that’s going to the question asked of him week in and week out.”

“We’re really proud of all bunch of boys we’ve got [In the City academy].

“We think if you played an A-League game with this youth team you’d compete pretty well."

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/palatsides-theres-attribute-coaches-cant-really-teach-players

• Like 1

Melbourne City teenager Daniel Arzani set for starting role

David Davutovic, Herald Sun
January 8, 2018 2:35pm
Subscriber only

MELBOURNE City teen Daniel Arzani looks set to be rewarded for his stunning impact role with a start in Tuesday’s away clash to struggling Perth Glory.

Arzani flipped last Saturday’s game on its head just two days after his 19th birthday, coming on and pinning shellshocked Wellington back before setting up both Ross McCormack goals in the 2-1 win.

797c1e736e89df21d6b6e52f541522cd?width=650Daniel Arzani escapes a tackle by Robbie Cornthwaite.

City coach Warren Joyce revealed that teen midfielder Connor Metcalfe, 18, will “get minutes very shortly” though he resisted the lure of taking him west with the youth team playing on Monday.

Joyce had no reservations about Arzani after his starring 37-minute Phoenix cameo. After nine substitute appearances totalling 137 minutes since his debut last season, the coach revealed that the X-factor player was pushing for a maiden A-League start.

MID-SEASON REVIEW: revisiting pre-season predictions

VICTORY: Valeri welcomes midfield competition

RECYCLE FC: A-League’s comical merry-go-round

“I think he (Arzani) has got to be considered for that (a start). Obviously he did very well when he came on, did what we asked him to do,’’ Joyce said.

“He’s a good, intelligent kid, he’s desperate to be a successful player and we’ve just got to keep his feet on the ground, keep working the right way and aim towards being a top player.

“You chat to him all the time. There’s been demands on him from the first week of pre-season. You recognise talent and X-factor talent. Talent alone not used in the right way isn’t enough. I’ve seen that numerous times.

8ccf8eca8f72271e94783ca865d3a347?width=650Daniel Arzani controls the ball during the FFA Cup round of 16 match against Hakoah Sydney City East.

“There’s young players that you’ve not seen yet that can play in the A-League, I see it on a daily basis.

“You don’t want kids to just come in, play one game and disappear. You want them to turn one game into five, turn five into 20 and then their careers are up and running.

“Young players are fearless as well, because they don’t know any different and it helps the competition.”

Joyce, who has coached Manchester United’s youth team and Championship side Wigan Atheltic, was relishing the quick turnaround having become accustomed to England’s Saturday-Tuesday games.

this sounds like Arzani is a definite starter V perth. About Time!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

MELBOURNE CITY AIMING FOR 3RD NYL CHAMPIONSHIP

By Con Stamocostas Feb 1 2018 

Ahead of Saturday’s National Youth League Grand Final against Western Sydney Wanderers, Melbourne City are aiming to defend their title and win their third championship in four years.

The country’s best young players will get a chance to showcase their skills at Newcastle Jets' McDonald Jones Stadium this Saturday at 2pm, with the NYL decider being shown live on Fox Sports.

After taking out the 2016-17 Grand Final against Sydney FC, City coach Joe Palatsides says City is looking for a repeat against the Wanderers, but added the development aspect is more important.

“It’s a great reward for the players whose hard work means they have the Grand Final to look forward to this week,” he said speaking to FourFourTwo.

“We want the boys to win, we want them to achieve a winning mentality because it’s an important part of their development.

“But we keep saying our main objective is to get all our boys ready and capable to play A-League football and give them an opportunity to get to the top level in Australia and possible national team selection.”

Over the past two seasons several Melbourne City youngsters have broken through to the senior ranks, with current A-League wonderkid Daniel Arzani the most notable of City youth team’s rising stars.

Palatsides said having so many players rise through the youth ranks to the senior team has been a joy to watch.

“We feel very blessed to have so many talented young players at the club,” he said.

“Braedyn Crowley now has a senior contract after playing a lot of youth football last year and this year. We’ve had Daniel Atkisnon and Ruon Tongyik. Daniel Arzani who even though he is a senior contracted player has spent quite a bit of time with us.

“Conor Metcalfe has made his debut two weeks ago, Dylan Pierias and Denis Genrea are in the national team set up as well and made both made debuts last year.

“Even young Ramy Najjarine who is a very talented young player and he is also in and around the senior team as are many young players.

“We are very proud that there is a lot of young players coming through.”

While there have been several players who have made senior team debuts, Palatsides said the production line continues to funnel more youngsters.

“We’ve got six scholarship players in the NYL but we have others,” he said.

“Joshua Carvalo and James Delianov both have scholarships but we have other players that not many people may have heard of like Lucas Derrick, who is a very, very good player.

“There is also Lucas Porterlli who is coming through and he is considered the next centre back at the football club.

“Young Gianluca Iannucci and Zachary Bates have also performed really well in the course of the year and have come a really long way.

“So much so that senior coach Warren Joyce comes and takes sessions for our youth team because he thinks so much of these good young players coming through.

“So, we have seven players who could well be in line for senior team selection by the end of the year and we are also fortunate to have a really good coaching staff at the academy.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/melbourne-city-aiming-for-3rd-nyl-championship-484227

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So Sydney U17s are going overseas to play PSG, Ajax and Sporting Lisbon

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/sydney-fc-to-face-worlds-biggest-clubs-487729

How come our youth teams dont ever get to do this? We have the money, resources and connections to do so. I know we played Inter Milan and some Chinese teams, but what Sydney are doing is much more impressive.

My only thought is that CFG dont want our youth talent to be poached by other Eurpean clubs?

45 minutes ago, haz said:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/sydney-fc-to-face-worlds-biggest-clubs-487729

How come our youth teams dont ever get to do this? We have the money, resources and connections to do so. I know we played Inter Milan and some Chinese teams, but what Sydney are doing is much more impressive.

My only thought is that CFG dont want our youth talent to be poached by other Eurpean clubs?

From memory we played Inter Milan, Red Star some German side and a Chinese side.

I'm happy with what CFG done with the youth and Womens, its just the mens that they seem to balls up consistently.

8 minutes ago, Jovan said:

From memory we played Inter Milan, Red Star some German side and a Chinese side.

I'm happy with what CFG done with the youth and Womens, its just the mens that they seem to balls up consistently.

Yep agree, just thought it wouldnt hurt vsing some 'bigger' European academies like the teams Sydney are vsing. Might set some boys straight who think they are the best

2 hours ago, haz said:

From a developmental point of view this is is even better. Exposure at a young age overseas against different academies, clubs etc. 

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-today-development-squad-wins-abu-dhabi-cup

Edited by n i k o
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, haz said:

My reading of it is that Sydney were invited because they won their NPL last season. I'm pretty comfortable with what Joe Pala and our Academy are doing.

• Like 2