Melbourne Football

Thrillhouse's Tightarse Thread

bt50

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

I've heard of people going to the supermarket with a pairing knife and cutting the stems off of their broccoli to reduce the weight. Anyone here do that?

I do that sometimes, and if I can't snap it off I begrudgingly concede defeat and move on. 

Edit: I use my hands though, I don't carry a knife for it :wacko: 

If you go to woollies after 7 or 8pm you can pick up premium mince meat from the butcher for half the price :up: 

4 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

I know a guy at school who takes his watch battery out at 7pm every night and put it back in at 7am every morning - doubles his battery life. Pretty smart TBH.

You're the guy aren't you

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cadete said:

We both know this thread is really failing to deliver with some High Standards of the Ethnic Cheapness we have read about on this forum in the past.

#HelgasQualityForHume

Definitely lacks 'stealing shoes from a hobo while in Adelaide' and others posts on that level of cheapness.

Edited by Tesla
  • Haha 1

I had a re-coded Hungry Jacks "Shake and Win" app on my phone, the one where you shake it and it randomizes a prize you can then claim at a store.  Anyway because this App was re-coded, I could choose what meal the "Randomizer" would land on, and I could do it an unlimited amount of times (the normal app only worked once a day) and not have to check into Facebook either.....  this was my breakfast, lunch and dinner for most days at Uni.

Edited by haz

7 hours ago, haz said:

I had a re-coded Hungry Jacks "Shake and Win" app on my phone, the one where you shake it and it randomizes a prize you can then claim at a store.  Anyway because this App was re-coded, I could choose what meal the "Randomizer" would land on, and I could do it an unlimited amount of times (the normal app only worked once a day) and not have to check into Facebook either.....  this was my breakfast, lunch and dinner for most days at Uni.

Give it to the homeless. They'll never beg again :up:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Nice. Im a pleb when it comes to cars, I know nothing. Do you need to know what to look out for or are they generally solid buys?

Ah i dunno how it would work as a person off the street, LMCT traders get certain discounts or levies waived to ensure they are competitive so you'd likely have to pay overs to beat them in an auction. I know the old man almost solely deals in ex-fleet cars and cars from a deceased estate as they generally have the full service history and there's not so many questions as to whether the car has had a murky history.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

Bought a car from there a few years back and was very happy.  Got the car about $3000 (about 25%) cheaper than at a car yard (hence BTs comment as to why car dealers probably go there).

Had a mate tag along who knew cars much better than me so if you have someone to help then great, but at worst just research first.

They usually put the car list up 24 hours (if not more) for you to check prices, and you can always do a walk through the car lot on the morning of the auction to check the cars out.

Worst come to worst it's worth a look even if you don't buy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Bought a car from there a few years back and was very happy.  Got the car about $3000 (about 25%) cheaper than at a car yard (hence BTs comment as to why car dealers probably go there).

Had a mate tag along who knew cars much better than me so if you have someone to help then great, but at worst just research first.

They usually put the car list up 24 hours (if not more) for you to check prices, and you can always do a walk through the car lot on the morning of the auction to check the cars out.

Worst come to worst it's worth a look even if you don't buy

Sounds good.

I just dont want to buy and be stuck paying off a lemon

19 hours ago, rayv36 said:

Has anyone here brought/won a car at Pickles or Manheim auctions?

Yes got my first car there, no issues tbh but probably paid a bit overs, for an auction anyway.

Its basically dealer > auction > private in terms of prices, because in terms of dodginess its the exact inverse, so it makes sense.

I've bought all my cars with my dad with me, has always bought second hand cars his whole life and so knows his way around, so yeah doesnt hurt to bring someone that knows a thing or two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

Yes got my first car there, no issues tbh but probably paid a bit overs, for an auction anyway.

Its basically dealer > auction > private in terms of prices, because in terms of dodginess its the exact inverse, so it makes sense.

I've bought all my cars with my dad with me, has always bought second hand cars his whole life and so knows his way around, so yeah doesnt hurt to bring someone that knows a thing or two.

I thought you got your cars from APEX Car Rentals...