Melbourne Football

W-League 2018/19

Dylan

Women's derby tonight. Hoping for a good crowd considering no A league this weekend. And let's be honest they are the better city team to watch. Will be tough as victory have looked good so far, but then we were excellent against Sydney. We will be missing Stotty as she is away with the kiwi team but should be first game for Tameka Butt. 

5 hours ago, luka74 said:

Women's derby tonight. Hoping for a good crowd considering no A league this weekend. And let's be honest they are the better city team to watch. Will be tough as victory have looked good so far, but then we were excellent against Sydney. We will be missing Stotty as she is away with the kiwi team but should be first game for Tameka Butt. 

Better to watch ? You gotta be kidding me 

1600ish for the crowd. Majority Victory fans from what I could see. Catley still recovering, Stotty on International Duty and newcomer Blissett suspended meant our defence took a hit leaving Rado to move KK from mid to CB. Left me baffled at first, I know she is a versatile player but haven't seen her at CB before. LB was where I was expecting her to be this round. Really need her in that defensive mid position, as you could see from our win over Sydney she improves it greatly.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I happened to catch the following on Page 34 of the Sunday Age, 16th December 2018 where you can read the full article by Diane Zhang, vice-president of Maribyrnong Swifts Football Club.

"At Melbourne City's recent W-League home match against Adelaide United, a young girl waved a home-made Melbourne City flag.

Whereas armies of fans often spend days making supporter banners, this girl showed her passion for her team merely by stapling a small colour print-out of City's logo to a wooden stick. Although her flag was simple, this girl stood out. She was the sole supporter holding a flag, because Melbourne City does not sell or give away merchandise at W-League matches. No replica shirts, no hats, no sponsors' merchandise.

...Four Matildas graced the field for Melbourne City and Adelaide United, along with a host of world-class imports from Europe and the U.S....

...These world-class women were asked to play on a poorly-lit pitch at a suburban stadium far from public transport. Fans sat on concrete benches with their view partially obstructed by floodlight towers...."

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I happened to catch the following on Page 34 of the Sunday Age, 16th December 2018 where you can read the full article by Diane Zhang, vice-president of Maribyrnong Swifts Football Club.

"At Melbourne City's recent W-League home match against Adelaide United, a young girl waved a home-made Melbourne City flag.

Whereas armies of fans often spend days making supporter banners, this girl showed her passion for her team merely by stapling a small colour print-out of City's logo to a wooden stick. Although her flag was simple, this girl stood out. She was the sole supporter holding a flag, because Melbourne City does not sell or give away merchandise at W-League matches. No replica shirts, no hats, no sponsors' merchandise.

...Four Matildas graced the field for Melbourne City and Adelaide United, along with a host of world-class imports from Europe and the U.S....

...These world-class women were asked to play on a poorly-lit pitch at a suburban stadium far from public transport. Fans sat on concrete benches with their view partially obstructed by floodlight towers...."

I dont know if things have changed, but the 3  City W-League games I have been too, the club had a trailer selling merchandise 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be coming together at the right time yet again. I think that really does come down to the internationals we use and when their seasons finish overseas. Still dont think we will win it, just dont want Victory to win it because they wernt even a Victory club up until two years ago. They still train out of Lakeside where they could easily use the AAMI park facilities....But no. 

Really disappointed for it to end like this. Nonetheless the last 3 years have been a great ride and it takes nothing away from achieving the 3 peat. Probably won’t happen again in Australian football. 

On 05/01/2019 at 5:52 PM, bt50 said:

Lydia Williams is garbage.

That why she is starting Matilda’s keeper I guess 

9 hours ago, luka74 said:

Really disappointed for it to end like this. Nonetheless the last 3 years have been a great ride and it takes nothing away from achieving the 3 peat. Probably won’t happen again in Australian football. 

I haven't seen any of the matches, so shoot me down if I'm way off. But my impression has been that there has been nowhere near the same commitment from the club to women's football this season. Having Rado Vidosic as coach seems a step down to me. Almost as if the club has demonstrated over three years what can be down with a proper commitment to the women players in terms of facilities and wages etc. and then has decided to take the foot off the pedal.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I haven't seen any of the matches, so shoot me down if I'm way off. But my impression has been that there has been nowhere near the same commitment from the club to women's football this season. Having Rado Vidosic as coach seems a step down to me. Almost as if the club has demonstrated over three years what can be down with a proper commitment to the women players in terms of facilities and wages etc. and then has decided to take the foot off the pedal.

With Dario playing worse and getting less game time, it won't be long till Rado has another 'bust-up' and the two leave the club

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yeah not sure. Certainly Rado was a risk I guess in the sense that he had never coached women prior. However the quality of players signed suggested there was still comittement from the club. I think some of the players themselves maybe weren’t as committed with their focus on being fit for the World Cup being more important. Which is understandable. So we have players missing while they had injuries treated or were away on international duty. Also hard for any team to be motivated enough for a 4th tilt. It’s a shame though because the few times it really clicked they looked as good as they have at any time in the existence of the team. Also wonder now if some of the stalwarts will look to move elsewhere, closer to home ect or just new opportunities now that the run has ended. 

14 hours ago, luka74 said:

Yeah not sure. Certainly Rado was a risk I guess in the sense that he had never coached women prior. However the quality of players signed suggested there was still comittement from the club. I think some of the players themselves maybe weren’t as committed with their focus on being fit for the World Cup being more important. Which is understandable. So we have players missing while they had injuries treated or were away on international duty. Also hard for any team to be motivated enough for a 4th tilt. It’s a shame though because the few times it really clicked they looked as good as they have at any time in the existence of the team. Also wonder now if some of the stalwarts will look to move elsewhere, closer to home ect or just new opportunities now that the run has ended. 

I tend to think it was mostly this mish mash of players coming and going that came home to roost tbh. Putting together a title winning side is pretty difficult when you have a different XI each week.

If anything we got seriously lucky last season imo, plus we had GOATlock

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a disappointing season for sure. My interpretation (just looking at results, haven’t seen games) is that it is similar to last season, however this time around we don’t have Fishlock to save the day every match.

Rado has built an impressive reputation as an assistant, but not as a coach.

You’d have to think we’d be pretty keen to talk to Stajic, not withstanding the need for some vetting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/01/2019 at 2:47 PM, Shahanga said:

Been a disappointing season for sure. My interpretation (just looking at results, haven’t seen games) is that it is similar to last season, however this time around we don’t have Fishlock to save the day every match.

Rado has built an impressive reputation as an assistant, but not as a coach.

You’d have to think we’d be pretty keen to talk to Stajic, not withstanding the need for some vetting.

It was a disappointing season a bit complacent and I’m not surprised that happened given that we have won three in a row.

i also think we start the preseason way too late and this is a result of that.

hoping that soon we put a team into the WNPL to start bringing talent trough. I think that had been a real blight on us for the last couple of season. Not enough young players given time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dylan said:

It was a disappointing season a bit complacent and I’m not surprised that happened given that we have won three in a row.

i also think we start the preseason way too late and this is a result of that.

hoping that soon we put a team into the WNPL to start bringing talent trough. I think that had been a real blight on us for the last couple of season. Not enough young players given time.

I didn't see any matches - all at impossible times for me - but just from reading it all looked a bit tokenistic to me. Having come in and shown what can be done if you actually treat your players and the W-League with a bit of respect, it seems that CFG has lost interest in Melbourne for the moment at any rate. Much as they have done for the whole club.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:44 AM, jw1739 said:

I didn't see any matches - all at impossible times for me - but just from reading it all looked a bit tokenistic to me. Having come in and shown what can be done if you actually treat your players and the W-League with a bit of respect, it seems that CFG has lost interest in Melbourne for the moment at any rate. Much as they have done for the whole club.

This will be a statement from the old, positive me who was excited about the take over. But I think its a little unfair to blame CFG for the Womens team this year. Thats the one thing they should be commended on, they dragged the whole league a number of magnitudes higher. You only have to have a look twitter and how much City arnt liked and I think thats out of envy. Oh and dont forget the dedicated Womens facilities. Victory still have their youth and Womens based at lakeside.

I think this season was down to a terrible preseason and the humongous hole that the Fishlock left, not only as a player but as an assistant coach.

What I would like to see next is a Womens NPLW side

27 minutes ago, Dylan said:

This will be a statement from the old, positive me who was excited about the take over. But I think its a little unfair to blame CFG for the Womens team this year. Thats the one thing they should be commended on, they dragged the whole league a number of magnitudes higher. You only have to have a look twitter and how much City arnt liked and I think thats out of envy. Oh and dont forget the dedicated Womens facilities. Victory still have their youth and Womens based at lakeside.

I think this season was down to a terrible preseason and the humongous hole that the Fishlock left, not only as a player but as an assistant coach.

What I would like to see next is a Womens NPLW side

I don't know who else you can hold accountable other than CFG for what I have highlighted. I agree that Jess Fishlock was a big loss, but there are other players out there.

I also don't think you can take the women's team out of the context of what has been so far a miserable season for the club as a whole.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic