Melbourne Football

We signed Scotty j

kingofhearts

11 minutes ago, neio said:

It was for complaining that the ref started game before Galloway was able to get into position after being subbed

Ah right - that does sound annoying.

I did see prior to that the ref told him to shut up several times and to calm down. He was warned, ref had it out for him.

Edited by Mr MO

3 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Have some sympathy for the ref, Jamo and Mauk as captains, probably 2 of the most annoying blokes in A-League history. Like 2 yappy pommeranians barking at you for 90 minutes from behind a fence. 

Haha. This referee has World Cup experience and was regarded as the best in his trade in the Middle East, prior to migrating to Australia. He just doesn’t take the abuse from guys like that. He’s been very good most matches I’ve watched.

28 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

If him getting a red card this game is the catalyst for him being on the outer of team selection for the rest of the season then today's result isn't all bad.

Has been past it for a while now.

Can’t see that happening. We all know that won’t happen, he will be straight back in the team after suspension just like other underperformers keep starting in the team. 

• Like 2

I don’t think he’s a terrible player but I’m not convinced he’s a nailed-on starter for us anymore and captains should be. Atkinson takes RB (unless he’s played further forward) and I reckon you could throw a blanket over the other three. Maybe Garuccio is slightly ahead, but the fact that Jamieson is captain complicates it. Him being the inverted FB also means he’s got an advantage over the others. 

Atkinson may play RW for Nabbout and Galloway at RB Garuccio LB. Atkinson has more experience then tilio ATM so this seems to make sense to me. Atkinson 60 min on return then bring on Tilio to help get his confidence up again. I actually think he will be good for us with more games. Tsubaki to Luna position IMO and he and metcalfe should switch L/R regularly as this seemed to keep the ADL midfield guessing and having to readjust in defence. veart admitted this in his interview. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just quietly, post Adelaide, Jamo is having a very solid season. We're (myself included) very quick to pipe up when he has a shit game, but no respect has given to his part in our performance in the last couple of weeks. Thought he was elite last night.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Just quietly, post Adelaide, Jamo is having a very solid season. We're (myself included) very quick to pipe up when he has a shit game, but no respect has given to his part in our performance in the last couple of weeks. Thought he was elite last night.

I agree. One of his best games. He was keen to get forward and his linking up with Noone was much better. Thought he looked very fit, too.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree. One of his best games. He was keen to get forward and his linking up with Noone was much better. Thought he looked very fit, too.

Was thinking this last night, has been superb defensively and moving up the pitch as well; I think he's having a great season, particularly compared to last year.

He's a ripper bloke as well which counts for something too!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IssySG said:

I am a rather vocal critic of Jamo and the cynic in me says that his contract is up at the end of the season...

That being said respect where respect is due, he has lifted his perfomances significantly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IssySG said:

Yes agreed (it’s all to the new Adidas Predators he’s wearing)

Edited by Mr MO

5 hours ago, IssySG said:

Im one of his critics but he is performing well. I have no problem  in attesting to this. But imo it's more because most average players that are in a well functioning team will perform better. Look at Redmayne during his time with us then during Sydney's dominance and now with their drop in level. Jamo is no different in that his skill level is solid enough if the rest of the team is doing their job. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, n i k o said:

Im one of his critics but he is performing well. I have no problem  in attesting to this. But imo it's more because most average players that are in a well functioning team will perform better. Look at Redmayne during his time with us then during Sydney's dominance and now with their drop in level. Jamo is no different in that his skill level is solid enough if the rest of the team is doing their job. 

My thoughts too. He’s doing a solid job, not making too many mistakes, cutting out the silly decisions, contributing when we carry it forward, but he’s probably been the least impressive throughout. That’s not really an insult though given how well everyone else is performing. I can’t think of a bad performance by anyone over the last month.

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

My thoughts too. He’s doing a solid job, not making too many mistakes, cutting out the silly decisions, contributing when we carry it forward, but he’s probably been the least impressive throughout. That’s not really an insult though given how well everyone else is performing. I can’t think of a bad performance by anyone over the last month.

Yep. I always rated him about the 6th best left back in the league in terms of starting players. So he's solid up to a certain point. Rest of your post pretty much explains it. 

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Agree, it is the case that he has cutout the things that cost us, the things that you would expect a professional footballer not to do on a recurring basis.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, haz said:

Just needed competent wingers in front of him.

A consistent factor is also playing with Good on the left side for many games now, Curtis seems to be on guard much more with the spaces and goals we conceded from the left in the past. It’s no suprise that Good has his best season and Jamo can thrive.

Edited by Mr MO

IMO its more that the inverted winger role clearly works to his strengths, whereas a traditional full back perhaps stretched him a bit. I also think you a certain level of smarts to play the inverted role, and Jamo has that in spades over his contempories.

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IMO its more that the inverted winger role clearly works to his strengths, whereas a traditional full back perhaps stretched him a bit. I also think you a certain level of smarts to play the inverted role, and Jamo has that in spades over his contempories.

I just refuse to see this an individual game raiser. Our system isn’t new, the team and Jamo played it last season as well, last season we conceded 70% of our goals from the left mostly in transition. I guess it’s a learning curve which suddenly clicks. If you look at it - Noone, Jamo and Good have consistently played there for some time now.

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I just refuse to see this an individual game raiser. Our system isn’t new, the team and Jamo played it last season as well, last season we conceded 70% of our goals from the left mostly in transition. I guess it’s a learning curve which suddenly clicks. If you look at it - Noone, Jamo and Good have consistently played there for some time now.

Hmm i disagree that last year is particularly relevant, due to the fact that the system isnt particularly simple to learn and takes repetition to get better at it. IMO the team as a whole have gotten better and better at it as they have continued to play it, and Jamo in particular has been the cream coming to the top as both he and his teammates execute better.
But yes overall i think we're on the same wavelength here, everyone has improved as a result of learning it better, and as such everyone has excelled in their personal games.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes, last season he was frequently poorly positioned in transition and this was exploited regularly by opponents. His individual positioning is not that different this season, but ithe difference this season is the positioning and performance of the whole team in transition, it doesn't leave the wings unprotected because opponents have less time with the ball and less time to exploit the space.

32 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Hmm i disagree that last year is particularly relevant, due to the fact that the system isnt particularly simple to learn and takes repetition to get better at it. IMO the team as a whole have gotten better and better at it as they have continued to play it, and Jamo in particular has been the cream coming to the top as both he and his teammates execute better.
But yes overall i think we're on the same wavelength here, everyone has improved as a result of learning it better, and as such everyone has excelled in their personal games.

I’m sorry, what do you disagree with? Aren’t we saying the same thing? Last season same system, same players on the left, much improved this season after hit and miss last season. Hence last season was extremely important and relevant to be able to play the system we do today. 

The only thing we see different is that I’m leaning towards team improvement whilst you believe it’s Jamo.

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’m sorry, what do you disagree with? Aren’t we saying the same thing? Last season same system, same players on the left, much improved this season after hit and miss last season. Hence last season was extremely important and relevant to be able to play the system we do today. 

The only thing we see different is that I’m leaning towards team improvement whilst you believe it’s Jamo.

Im disagreeing that its one or the other, i think its both. The team has improved, as has Jamo at playing the system.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Im disagreeing that its one or the other, i think its both. The team has improved, as has Jamo at playing the system.

Sorry it read as you said that last season was irrelevant. Perhaps I was misunderstood with my earlier post “I just refuse to believe this an individual game raiser” - where I further explain that it’s the team and the players around him which allow Jamo to excel, after working on it last season. So it’s a bit of both, where I give credit to the team.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

A consistent factor is also playing with Good on the left side for many games now, Curtis seems to be on guard much more with the spaces and goals we conceded from the left in the past. It’s no suprise that Good has his best season and Jamo can thrive.

Good has definitely helped him but Jamieson has also lifted. I can remember him making silly decisions and diving into tackles almost every match. Thankfully he's stopped doing that at the age of 32. And despite that he's a crafty footballer. I think he reads the game pretty well in general but he's improved his decision-making in those 'split second' moments.

The inverted role suits him. It's not as if it's an extremely complex system (Galloway has done it too). But he slots into the midfield area comfortably and doesn't get caught out often. We're getting the most out of him, which is always good. That's what good teams do.

• Like 3