Melbourne Football

International Politics

Deeming

21 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Figured since we have a Domestic Politics thread we should have an International one too

I heard some Collectivist, Leftard Females may have marched against Donald Trump recently... anyone have any more information about what occurred?

Macedonian Americans from NY and NJ have gathered in front of Trump Tower in New York City to voice their displeasure from the US State Department's activities in Macedonia since 2014, at the same time to show their support to the president elect. 

No left wing shit going on in the Macedonian community :up:

In other news, according to my fb news feed, Trump just signed a bill which means women who want unlimited tax payer funded abortions will have no choice but to be FORCED to pay for their own procedures or stop being cunt merchants. Thats just plain mean.

#notmypresident (no shit you're.... AUSTRALIAN)

53 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Macedonian Americans from NY and NJ have gathered in front of Trump Tower in New York City to voice their displeasure from the US State Department's activities in Macedonia since 2014, at the same time to show their support to the president elect. 

My fears have been quelled...

For a minute there I was really worried that there was some Alpha Maco out there doing some super crazy "Collectivist Shit" like eating a meal that did not contain a large quantity of meat.

2 hours ago, cadete said:

My fears have been quelled...

For a minute there I was really worried that there was some Alpha Maco out there doing some super crazy "Collectivist Shit" like eating a meal that did not contain a large quantity of meat.

Would probably get disappeared if he tried to do that tbh. 

On 24 January 2017 at 3:20 PM, Tesla said:

Probably got to do with this:

A new initiative called Stop Operation Soros (SOS) is launching in the Balkan nation of Macedonia to counter the influence of globalist billionaire George Soros.

The founders of the group called on all “free-minded citizens” to join them in the “fight against one-mindedness in the civil sector, which is devised and led by George Soros,” reports a Slovenian newspaper.

Soros-funded non-government organizations have monopolized civil society in Macedonia and used their influence to suppress dissenting views, said SOS cofounder Nikola Srbov.

“The Open Society Foundation, operating under the Soros umbrella, used its funding and personnel to support violent processes in Macedonia,” he said in a press conference Tuesday. “That is unacceptable and goes beyond the principles of civic organizing.”

Soros set up the Open Society Foundation in in the 1980s with the stated goal of helping former Soviet bloc countries transition from communism, but in reality, the foundation is used to destabilize governments and foment discontent within countries.

And Macedonia isn’t the first country that’s turned against Soros.

Earlier this month, Hungary’s Prime Minister Viktor Orban announced that the Hungarian government would begin cracking down on any organizations linked to Soros.

“In every country, they will want to displace Soros,” Orban said in December. “In the coming year, Soros and his forces will be squeezed out.”

In 2014, Soros openly admitted on CNN that the OSF was involve in the violent overthrow of Ukraine’s government, which resulted in Russia banning Soros and his NGOs from the country the following year, calling him a “security threat” to the former Soviet nation.

“It was found that the activity of the Open Society Foundations and the Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation represents a threat to the foundations of the constitutional system of the Russian Federation and the security of the state,” reads the Russian press statement.

As nationalism continues to rise around the world fueled by President Trump’s election, it’s reasonable to assume that this won’t be the last instance a European country kicks out Soros and his shadowy groups.

• Like 1

Yes I have seen that and it's interesting that a number of countries are coming out with similar things recently.

Apparently he also has a lot of influence on the Democratic party in the US and their foreign policy. 

Soros the real illuminati. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

On 1/27/2017 at 4:40 PM, Tesla said:

Yes I have seen that and it's interesting that a number of countries are coming out with similar things recently.

Apparently he also has a lot of influence on the Democratic party in the US and their foreign policy. 

Soros the real illuminati. 

Maybe Macos just like Trump because he promotes you and your countryman's Ancient Courtship Tradition of "Grabbing"?

On 01/02/2017 at 9:30 AM, bt50 said:

Good, balanced article on why shouting 'facist, racist and mysoginist' at every opportunity is counter-productive

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/nine-questions-protesting-donald-trumps-immigration-ban-must-answer/

Excellent article.

im hardly a trump supporter myself (I see a protectionist in the White House as a disaster for Australia) but it strikes me that for us foreigners a "wait and see" approach will be best in working out his impact on the world.

It does bother me a little that those foreigners currently outraged don't seem to be aware what an international disaster Obama was.  God help us if Trump is as poor at international affairs as he was.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I see a protectionist in the White House as a disaster for Australia

Is he actually a protectionist though? Initially I'd say he was more pro free trade than anyone, his main issue has always been other countries not playing by the rules of free trade eg China. When he realised it was popular he did start to sound more protectionist but we will see what he actually does.

It's also arguable wether it would be bad for Australia if he was a protectionist, we export a lot of the same things, there would definitely be benefits for us if the US did adopt a more protectionist stance.

And if it lead to a world recession, that's probably a good thing TBH. We've had almost a decade now of a shit worldwide economy since the GFC and just dug ourselves into a bigger hole because we didn't just take the hit at the time. Global economy would be booming by now. Hard to see anyway out of the worldwide economic mess without a bad recession so it really wouldn't be the end of the world because it needs to happen and will soon enough anyway.

Fwiw, on protectionism in general, I remember posting on here before the Brexit and Trump happened that I thought the world had reached peak globalisation and that we'd see more protectionist measures start to come into play. So massive green line there. I've also always said how great globalisation has been for developing countries, it's done more for worldwide poverty and development than foreign aid or charity or really anything else could ever achieve, and it's always been funny that the left have been against it. What's funnier is now that we are seeing these protectionist things occur, how against them the left are. Do they finally realise globalisation was never their enemy?

Anyway the point I wanted to make is that free trade benefits everyone, but it benefits developing countries more. So this new paradigm that Donald Trump has introduced of 'getting a better deal' is maybe not crazy. Maybe developed countries should be getting more out of free trade. But before we can even talk about that, first we have China and others who dont even play by the current rules, and no one has had the balls to stop them, until now.

Interesting times ahead.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tesla said:

Is he actually a protectionist though? Initially I'd say he was more pro free trade than anyone, his main issue has always been other countries not playing by the rules of free trade eg China. When he realised it was popular he did start to sound more protectionist but we will see what he actually does.

It's also arguable wether it would be bad for Australia if he was a protectionist, we export a lot of the same things, there would definitely be benefits for us if the US did adopt a more protectionist stance.

And if it lead to a world recession, that's probably a good thing TBH. We've had almost a decade now of a shit worldwide economy since the GFC and just dug ourselves into a bigger hole because we didn't just take the hit at the time. Global economy would be booming by now. Hard to see anyway out of the worldwide economic mess without a bad recession so it really wouldn't be the end of the world because it needs to happen and will soon enough anyway.

Fwiw, on protectionism in general, I remember posting on here before the Brexit and Trump happened that I thought the world had reached peak globalisation and that we'd see more protectionist measures start to come into play. So massive green line there. I've also always said how great globalisation has been for developing countries, it's done more for worldwide poverty and development than foreign aid or charity or really anything else could ever achieve, and it's always been funny that the left have been against it. What's funnier is now that we are seeing these protectionist things occur, how against them the left are. Do they finally realise globalisation was never their enemy?

Anyway the point I wanted to make is that free trade benefits everyone, but it benefits developing countries more. So this new paradigm that Donald Trump has introduced of 'getting a better deal' is maybe not crazy. Maybe developed countries should be getting more out of free trade. But before we can even talk about that, first we have China and others who dont even play by the current rules, and no one has had the balls to stop them, until now.

Interesting times ahead.

Your love of Trump and your pretence of him being a regular rational politician in my mind is only comparable with an unwavering allegiance of a devout Stalinist.

The bloke within minutes of being elected demonstrated how he is not a regular politician but putting in one of the most irrational and stupidly rigid policies in place in that of his Immigration Policy.

I do not say this lightly as I am not idealist (Like Wally’s fans) who downplays the reality of Fundamentalist Islam as a threat in the world today. In fact I completely understand the threat and support the unfortunate need to implement tough security measures we have in Australia for the safety of citizens due to this threat. I also begrudging have to admit to PPL that I find it personally hard to implement any other workable Border Protection Plan than what we have currently in Australia.

Yet, his new immigration policy is pathetic and so pathetically all-encompassing and simple it feels like it was either tossed up as an idea by a particularly sheltered 14 year old Schoolboy Debater from Scotch College or perhaps or the leader of some pathetic English Patriot Protest Group which is largely comprised of retarded football casuals from Midlands looking for another reason to fight strangers.

Even more baffling than your argument about him being a normal politician is this post you made about him being good for Australia. You made this post as Trump was showing the greatest amount of disrespect to Australia by any US President in my lifetime by showing exactly why he is not a normal politician.

A normal politician lets deals signed by predecessors with Allies go past, Trump on the other hand decides to not only back down on a deal his predecessor made with Australia but abuses our PM and then goes on to Twitter to belittle the deal that our PM made with his country.

And BTW I am glad you can get excited about your predicted “Global Recession” because you learnt that we need to have recessions at school… we all learnt that mate and we all get it.

However, I got tell you that somehow as a bloke who just got married, who earns a wage, pays rent and eventually sooner than later wants kids I just somehow cannot get as excited as you can as someone who lives at his parents’ house gambling  on his PC about a “Global Recession”.

I am not meaning to be harsh on this but I think you probably should learn that the average Australian does not hear from anybody gloating about how great a “Recession” of any type (Let alone a Global Recession) is or will be… no matter how much you fucken know about economics.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I'd love you two to kiss and make up. Together you would be a formidable debating team - no-one would stand a chance against you.

I dont have a problem with Cad TBH, he goes around quoting all my posts making personal insults for whatever reason, and I just let it slide cause I have no interest in getting into internet fights.

8 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I dont have a problem with Cad TBH, he goes around quoting all my posts making personal insults for whatever reason, and I just let it slide cause I have no interest in getting into internet fights.

They are not "posts" they are "boasts" that is the reason why I call you up on them and if you think its only Cad being Cad then maybe you should look at what happened to that FB Chat Group... which I myself only recently left.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cadete said:

They are not "posts" they are "boasts"... that is the reason why I call you up on them and if you think its only Cad being Cad then maybe you should look at what happened to that FB Chat Group I only recently left.

You have a very long history of just making personal insults at people when you disagree with them rather than actually debating what they've said. It's been going on as long as I've known you. I could sit here making personal insults all day against you as well, it doesn't take any skill. But what's the point?

Anyway, do what you want, I dont hold grudges so when you've got it out your system and stop being an asshole it's all good. If not, that's cool too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

You have a very long history of just making personal insults at people when you disagree with them rather than actually debating what they've said. It's been going on as long as I've known you. I could sit here making personal insults all day against you as well, it doesn't take any skill. But what's the point?

Anyway, do what you want, I dont hold grudges so when you've got it out your system and stop being an asshole it's all good. If not, that's cool too.

Look I may have gone to far, but I was raised from the type of school I went to at young age to hate boasting...

And if you dont think you use this place to boast you have got to be kidding me...

Edited by cadete

• 4 weeks later...

I watched a bit of the Trump speech earlier, and fuck me the worst thing is you just don't know what exactly is coming. I don't really care about US domestic matters, that's not my business. But trying to get a gouge on whether there will be protectionist measures implemented or not is what I'm most interested in and I think we still have no idea. 

I think I previously said my belief was that he wouldn't really do any major and wide reaching protection measures, rather actually trying to further free trade by playing hard ball with the countries who are not playing fair and maybe specifically targeting them with protectionist measures. And part of what he said still gives me that feel. On the other hand, he talks about forcing infrastructure project to use US steel etc. 

If I had to make a guess/prediction (which I of course love to do) it's that he'll force that sort of stuff on federally funded infrastructure (which most other countries do anyway to varying extents and at the same time allows him to satisfy his voters), while doing as I predicted earlier in terms of protectionism in general which is just targeting those countries who don't play fair when it comes to free trade. 

The major worry I have, is that he is promising some serious spending while also promising big tax cuts and promising to cut the deficit, which makes you wonder where the money will come from. Which makes me think he might do something like a general tarrif on all imports. I think that's unlikely though. I want to believe Trump is a genius rather than crazy, or at least somewhere in between, but really we have no idea yet. 

And fwiw that's exactly why I find all the overreaction and butthurt so entertaining, because we haven't even had a chance to see exactly what he is going to do in regard to anything really.

On a similar note, he advocates for less interventionalisim, but at the same time has said he will crush ISIS. Maybe it makes no sense, maybe it makes complete sense in that it is a direct threat and so really isn't interventionalisim as opposed to just defence. You just don't know, genius or crazy, it's a fine line between the two. 

On the plus side, this is probably the most entertaining politics has been in a long time. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Basically sums him up for me.

I think he is a pretty smart guy and even though you can question his business history you'd be a bit ignorant to suggest that decades of international business experience doesn't provide him with insights other politicians may not have. Some which will be of benefit, others which will be detrimental. 

Another thing I previously said is that once he came into office he'd be hit with reality that things aren't as easy as they seem, just like leaders around the world with unconventional ideas who've come to power recently have also realised. Which would lead to watering down of anything he wants to do that is extreme. He pretty much admitted it when talking about health care. Just like us posting our opinions on this forum, they might sound great in theory but most would be hard to implement if we were in a position to do so in a democracy. So if he is a nutcase, he won't be able to cause too much harm.

Most the Republican establishment is against him, and tbh when people like McCain and my boy George W have called him out they've been right for the most part, so it wouldn't take much of a misstep for them to completely turn on him and shut him down (as they can in a country that probably has the best democratic institutions of all). 

Edited by Tesla

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

I think he is a pretty smart guy and even though you can question his business history you'd be a bit ignorant to suggest that decades of international business experience doesn't provide him with insights other politicians may not have. Some which will be of benefit, others which will be detrimental. 

Another thing I previously said is that once he came into office he'd be hit with reality that things aren't as easy as they seem, just like leaders around the world with unconventional ideas who've come to power recently have also realised. Which would lead to watering down of anything he wants to do that is extreme. He pretty much admitted it when talking about health care. Just like us posting our opinions on this forum, they might sound great in theory but most would be hard to implement if we were in a position to do so in a democracy. So if he is a nutcase, he won't be able to cause too much harm.

Most the Republican establishment is against him, and tbh when people like McCain and my boy George W have called him out they've been right for the most part, so it wouldn't take much of a misstep for them to completely turn on him and shut him down (as they can in a country that probably has the best democratic institutions of all). 

On a side note this has me perplexed. Having worked for over 20 years in the international arena first with an Australian company and then with two foreign multinationals, what I found that business between first world countries hardly ever involved governments. There are the tax breaks and other such incentives (and yes they do get used) but I never felt that it was a make or break issue. And the way Apple and others have gamed the system around the world makes me wonder what is the point of First world governments actually involving themselves in business deals with one another. Third world countries are in a different boat but quite often those countries are poor and the profit margins thin and risky.

So when you say that international business experience has given him insights, and lets assume that is true, then what purpose would that provide him when dealing with the Eurozone? or Japan? China may be a different kettle of fish but for a political party that is perpetually in power waiting four or eight years is nothing.

On the other hand back in the 80s and early 90s there was a big tendency in the corporate world to bring in succesful CEOs from other industries and they bombed spectacularly. Apple brought in execs from Pepsi and they nearly went bust. So after those years I remain sceptical of cross industry hopping however I do acknowledge that some cross over is succesful, and an example is BHP who brought in an exec from Duke energy and he turned the company around. Then again he was an engineer to begin with.

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I've made my views on Donald Trump extremely clear, but fwiw I actually think this is a good move. Showing he has some balls and doing what everyone has been to afraid to do and actually hold Assad accountable for his actions. Will probably start WW3 though

Edited by GreenSeater

15 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I've made my views on Donald Trump extremely clear, but fwiw I actually think this is a good move. Showing he has some balls and doing what everyone has been to afraid to do and actually hold Assad accountable for his actions. Will probably start WW3 though

Typical war mongering Hillary supporter