Melbourne Football

Song after a win - it is time to ditch Wonderwall

I am so out of the loop I did not even know Adelaide used "Wonderwall"... it was probably at the suggestion of that Ben Sherman wearing Polish Bloke over there who has now spent over five solid years (without any indication of stopping) trying to convince PPL he is an Anglo and from the UK.

Edited by cadete

There's a post on "City Voice" which mentions the need for the music played at matches to reflect the narrative that the club is trying to create. IMO this is a very important point that has been made. As a Foundation Member I would say that the only chant/song/music that has caught on right around the whole of AAMI is "Stand Up for City, Stand Up!"  Somehow that chant resonates with everyone there, probably because it adheres to the KISS principle.

Much as I like listening to the Beach Boys, I don't see any connection between their 1960s and 1970s California sound and Melbourne City. Although I am (reluctantly) in favour of the retention of "So Happy Together" as our song, I don't think it has caught on for the same reason - there's really no connection between it and Melbourne City. [I favour its retention only because yet another change would set us back another 2-3 years. But IMO it's too fast and has no defined ending and a shorter version ought to be recorded by the club if it is to catch on any time soon.]

At the moment IMO the club is floundering around and doesn't really know what it's trying to achieve with the whole "match-day experience." My experience is that football crowds are rather conservative in nature and prefer tradition over innovation.

Its not just Wonderwall when we win, when we lose or draw they play Don't Look Back in Anger. What really irritates me is that some moron at CFG thinks they are really clever for choosing to play Don't Look Back in Anger when everyone is angry.

I don't really think we need to play a song when we win, definitely (maybe) not one when we lose.

On 20/01/2017 at 9:38 AM, n i k o said:

But but....Manchester, Oasis, CFG, Melbourne, they're all interconnected, it's the perfect fit. 

If they want to stick with Oasis that's fine by me, Oasis has an incredible catalogue of songs that work brilliantly when sung by a large crowd: Live Forever, Some Might Say, Acquiesce etc. But Wonderwall is already Adelaide's song, and lyrically it doesn't really fit with winning a game of football.

• 2 weeks later...