Melbourne Football

Squad 2024-25

jw1739

7 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Lawrence Wong 17 yo midfielder has also just been given a 3 yr scholarship contract

At first glance I thought we'd signed the Prime Minister of Singapore...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Tommykins said:

I'm not sure if it's an active decision or just timing but I suspect we're going to see a lot more academy players this year.

Any "depth" that we're going to have this season is just going to be youth players. Probably one of the weakest at least on paper squads I think we've ever assembled at this point of time...

Clubs are making fuck all revenue so there’s bound to be heaps of youth to cut costs this year. Although, this is the one year we could “buy” the title and sign stars but it ain’t happening. Sheikhs a tightass

21 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Clubs are making fuck all revenue so there’s bound to be heaps of youth to cut costs this year. Although, this is the one year we could “buy” the title and sign stars but it ain’t happening. Sheikhs a tightass

Given we ain't playing in Asia this season there really isn't any prize money to play for this season? Seems they are budgeting on the confines of the A-Leagues dismal financial position...

Guess this season is going to show which clubs have the best youth available. It looks like a lot of young players are going to get good playing time/break into first 11s this season!

12 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Given we ain't playing in Asia this season there really isn't any prize money to play for this season? Seems they are budgeting on the confines of the A-Leagues dismal financial position...

Guess this season is going to show which clubs have the best youth available. It looks like a lot of young players are going to get good playing time/break into first 11s this season!

Really need to go back to basics playing at small stadiums, clubs working on their fans 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I think the clubs with the least payer turnover will probably be the forunners, think WSW, Perth, even vuck.

All our big signings have left and money is thin, we never played our youth and I think we are in a curious place where youth will play a big part.

22 hours ago, Tommykins said:

I'm not sure if it's an active decision or just timing but I suspect we're going to see a lot more academy players this year.

This is going to be true of all clubs. I watched a bit of AU last night and there were a lot of young players.

I don't mind as I feel that the A-League recycles a lot of players. Pieiras is now onto his fourth club.

1 hour ago, moops said:

I think the clubs with the least payer turnover will probably be the forunners, think WSW, Perth, even vuck.

All our big signings have left and money is thin, we never played our youth and I think we are in a curious place where youth will play a big part.

Youth is all we are signing at the moment. Interesting season coming up.

2 hours ago, moops said:

Yes I think you are right, whoever has retained their best 11 from last season and either has a decent bench or great youth is going to be the ones to beat.

I think we are in a pretty weak state with our best 11 so far. Would need the last couple of visa signings to make a significant impact...

56 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Youth is all we are signing at the moment. Interesting season coming up.

Seems we are definitely not digging deep into the wallet this season... el budgeto eleveno 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

looking at the most recent list on this forum; has Jimmy Jeggo left the club - can't see him on the list?

@mattyh001 That is clearly my fault. An error in transcribing from one post to another. My apologies to all. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

This is looking like the worst squad the club has had going into a season since CFG takeover. Quite bleak. 

Our best 11 on paper is certainly rather weak... I think we will be signing a visa striker because we can't be relying on Caputo to be consistent enough in front of goals. We will also probably sign a visa midfielder given the disappointing loss of Arslan! I think if we can sign another visa then it may be another winger to play opposite of Tilio.

Posted (edited)

MELBOURNE CITY PLAYING SQUAD 2024-25                                  2nd August 2024

Goalkeepers.:                                      Until                                            Club announcement
1    Jamie YOUNG                             30/6/25                                               
40  James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S)    30/6/27                                                17/10/23

33  Patrick BEACH                           30/6/26                                                23/6/23

Defenders:
2    Callum TALBOT                          30/6/25                                                24/5/22
26  Samuel SOUPRAYEN (V)           30/6/25                                                10/7/23
16  Aziz BEHICH                               30/6/25                                                 6/8/23

27  Kai TREWIN                                30/6/27                                                 7/5/24
38  Harry POLITIDIS                         30/6/25                                                25/9/23
34  Jayden NECOVSKI (S)               30/6/27                                                 27/4/24
22  German FERREYRA (V)             30/6/26                                                 17/7/24
36  Harry SHILLINGTON (S)            30/6/25                                                 2/8/24
37   Peter ANTONIOU (S)                 30/6/27                                                 2/8/24

Midfielders:
39   Emin DURAKOVIC (S)               30/6/26                                                 22/6/23
20   Arion SULEMANI (S)                 30/6/26                                                 22/6/23
19   Zane SCHREIBER                      30/6/26                                                 23/6/23
21  Alessandro LOPANE                   30/6/25 (1 season ext. option)            23/6/23
6    Steven UGARKOVIC                   30/6/25 (1 season ext. option)            30/6/23
17   Max CAPUTO                             30/6/26                                                  13/7/23
8   James JEGGO                             30/06/25 (1 season ext. option)           31/1/24
41   Lawrence WONG (S)                  30/6/27 (1 season ext. option)            31/7/24 

Forwards:
15  Andrew NABBOUT                      30/6/26                                              
7    Mathew LECKIE                          30/6/26

46  Ben MAZZEO                              30/6/26 (1-season ext. trigger)             16/1/24
23  Marco TILIO                                30/6/25 (on loan from Celtic)                4/7/24
35  Medin MEMETI                            30/6/27 (1-season ext. option)             16/7/24

Edited by jw1739
Squad numbers

28 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Noting somebody on Twitter spotted that 9, 10 and 11 in the squad numbers weren't allocated. That does hint at incoming.

Pretty much all the core positions we still need filled... Striker, Winger and Attacking Midfield!

On 01/08/2024 at 3:36 PM, Baka1 said:

We would be sitting pretty had Sakhi and Arslan not walked.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The ages are as follows:

Young:                   38*
Nieuwenhuizen:     20
Beach:                    21

Talbot:                    23*
Souprayen:            35*
Behich:                  33*
Trewin:                  23*
Politidis:                22*
Necovski:               16
Ferrayra:                28*
Shillington:            20
Antoniou:               17

Durakovic:             19
Sulemani:               19
Schreiber:               19
Lopane:                  20
Ugarkovic:             29*
Caputo:                  18
Jeggo:                    32*
Wong:                    17

Leckie:                   33*
Nabbout:                31*
Mazzeo:                 19
Tilio:                      22*
Memeti:                 17

IMO anyone over 21 is a "senior" player. So those marked * are the ones who have to lead both physically and mentally.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The ages are as follows:

Young:                   38*
Nieuwenhuizen:     20
Beach:                    21

Talbot:                    23*
Souprayen:            35*
Behich:                  33*
Trewin:                  23*
Politidis:                22*
Necovski:               16
Ferrayra:                28*
Shillington:            20
Antoniou:               17

Durakovic:             19
Sulemani:               19
Schreiber:               19
Lopane:                  20
Ugarkovic:             29*
Caputo:                  18
Jeggo:                    32*
Wong:                    17

Leckie:                   33*
Nabbout:                31*
Mazzeo:                 19
Tilio:                      22*
Memeti:                 17

IMO anyone over 21 is a "senior" player. So those marked * are the ones who have to lead both physically and mentally.

I would add number of senior games played. So for me, Tilio ought to be considered more senior than Politides although both are the same age. Nabbout ought to be a leader but he commits to many undisciplined fouls for my taste. Jeggo, well I did not see much leadership there last night. My one thought was what were the instructions from the sidelines - here is looking at you Vidmar - because the players just attempted to park the bus unsuccessfully.

47 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I would add number of senior games played. So for me, Tilio ought to be considered more senior than Politides although both are the same age. Nabbout ought to be a leader but he commits to many undisciplined fouls for my taste. Jeggo, well I did not see much leadership there last night. My one thought was what were the instructions from the sidelines - here is looking at you Vidmar - because the players just attempted to park the bus unsuccessfully.

OK, I can do that I suppose.

We have to put up with Nabbout for two more seasons, and Jeggo for one, but he has an extension option and I'm not sure whether that's at the club's discretion or his. Two of the worst signings we could have made I reckon. Senior players need to show grit, determination and leadership. Likewise Vidmar. 

If someone would take it on, I'd like to see us rate players out of 10 after every League match - would be better than the 3-2-1.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, if you want to include "senior games appearances" then here is the list.

Depends what you would say is a relevant number of senior games played to be "experienced.". I have taken it as 50.

The surprise is probably Lopane.

4th August 2024

Age                             Senior appearances (approx.)

Young:                         38*                              465              
Nieuwenhuizen:          20                                1
Beach:                          21                                0

Talbot:                         23*                              69
Souprayen:                 35*                              430
Behich:                        33*                              380
Trewin:                         23*                             105
Politidis:                       22                                17
Necovski:                    16                                 0
Ferrayra:                     28*                              140
Shillington:                  20                                1
Antoniou:                     17                                0

Durakovic:                   19                                 0
Sulemani:                    19                                  1
Schreiber:                   19                                  9
Lopane:                       20*                              53
Ugarkovic:                  29*                              292
Caputo:                        18                                 35
Jeggo:                         32*                              348
Wong:                          17                                 0

Leckie:                        33*                              367
Nabbout:                     31*                               238
Mazzeo:                      19                                 13
Tilio:                            22*                              96
Memeti:                       17                                 0

Edited by jw1739

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

take him.

I would take him too, but then aren't we overloaded with wing-backs?

Maybe we've got something in the pipeline, but it seems that we are lurching from season to season with hasty decisions...

Edited by jw1739

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I would take him too, but then aren't we overloaded with wing-backs?

Maybe we've got something in the pipeline, but it seems that we are lurching from season to season with hasty decisions...

So who would replace Talbot? as far as I can see we only have a single scholarship player for that position. Ferreyra supposedly can play in all positions which makes him a master of none.

2 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

So who would replace Talbot? as far as I can see we only have a single scholarship player for that position. Ferreyra supposedly can play in all positions which makes him a master of none.

If we got Atkinson back I'd be playing him at RB with Behich at LB. You've got Talbot and Politidis as back-ups there. Souprayen and either Trewin or Ferreyra as CBs (IMO a waste to have a visa player sitting on the bench).

It's in midfield where I don't rate either Jeggo or Ugarkovic, and up front that IMO we're really struggling. Nabbout and Tilio aren't doing much. Surely we have to make some signings here?

Even with the team we had on Saturday I would have thought we could play out the match once we were two goals in front with 15+extra time to go. That to me is the failure of the senior players and Vidmar.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If we got Atkinson back I'd be playing him at RB with Behich at LB. You've got Talbot and Politidis as back-ups there. Souprayen and either Trewin or Ferreyra as CBs (IMO a waste to have a visa player sitting on the bench).

It's in midfield where I don't rate either Jeggo or Ugarkovic, and up front that IMO we're really struggling. Nabbout and Tilio aren't doing much. Surely we have to make some signings here?

Even with the team we had on Saturday I would have thought we could play out the match once we were two goals in front with 15+extra time to go. That to me is the failure of the senior players and Vidmar.

I'm more inclined to apportion blame to Vidmar because I felt that once that fourth goal was scored the team became totally defensive allowing PG to have a lot of room. It was such a drastic change that I wondered then (and still do) whether they were under instructions to do so. Having said that, I don't want to take anything from PG and their coaches.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I'm more inclined to apportion blame to Vidmar because I felt that once that fourth goal was scored the team became totally defensive allowing PG to have a lot of room. It was such a drastic change that I wondered then (and still do) whether they were under instructions to do so. Having said that, I don't want to take anything from PG and their coaches.

It was a poor tactic whoever was responsible, and this is where the coach and captain are so important. If it was 2-0 at that stage, yes, possibly a risk worth taking, but at 4-2 with still 15 to go and already Perth had shown that they were quite capable of scoring and us quite capable of conceding, so it was a poor tactic. It's not just about the how many goals you are in front, it's also about reading the overall game. And that's why Vidmar is a poor coach.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

On 05/08/2024 at 7:28 PM, jw1739 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/hearts-transfers-premiership-nathaniel-atkinson-33402945?new=

12 hours ago, citypool said:

Geez the Vuck morphing into City, already have Fornaroli, Valadon, Hamill,  Arzani, and PK, now want Atkinson. I can understand as they have two grandpas at FB in Geria and Traore. Hope Atkinson doesn't but he did sign with Glory until that didn't work. I'd pick him up anyway, even if we have FBs in Talbot and Behich he's an upgrade on them and he can conceivably play wing as well.

• Like 1