Melbourne Football

Sack Valkanis

Tesla

4 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Prefer Joe Palatsides to be honest. Surely it's a no brainer to put him in charge.

How is it a no-brainer?

There were certainly rumours that CFG were pretty close to sacking him after the NPL season just gone...

• Like 1

Unless the club/CFG is mandating exact match day tactics (which unlike some here I don't believe is the case) then I would expect Valkanis to try and shake things up a little. If he was to turn the season around and guide us to more silverware then he'd have to be in the running to get the role permanently, there's incentive for him to change things if he believes they aren't working, and surely he can see they aren't.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, neio said:

I wonder if we will get more of an Adelaide from last season feel from valkanis.  I'd be staggered if he doesn't change anything as this is a job interview for him,  not just for us but for any other club looking 

Agree. If he is serious about getting a Head Coach role then I expect him to change things up. The team is in a slump, so he's got nothing to lose and everything to gain. If he can get the team winning again and comfortably make top four then he might get the guernsey for the next couple of seasons. If he fails he can always say that he didn't have time to turn around some entrenched bad habits at the club.

Somewhere along the line he's been coach for 9 matches, and won only two of them, giving him more incentive to impress in the coming weeks.

He praised JVS on many occasions in his first interview. 

He said van’t Schip had full faith in him to continue their possession based football and to take the team forward.

“There’s a philosophy at the club, I was brought here at the beginning because I’m a believer of this philosophy and the football we want to play,” he said

As far as I am concerned any mention of JVS's tactics should be instant dismissal.

He needs to be sacked.

Edited by playmaker

If all he's going to do is continue on from where JvS left off then the second half of the season is going to be a disappointment. Possession-based football is fine - we were impressive beating Victory and Sydney to win the FFA Cup that way OK - but we've deteriorated markedly since. If Valkanis has any aspirations to be our Head Coach then he's got to turn our season around. CFG don't just want possession-based football, they want to win using it.

Looks as though he's aware of what's to be done:

“What I’m interested in now is getting results and playing good football and focusing the team on getting back on track. I’m not going to shy away that we’ve sort of fallen away since leaving the cup,” he said. - See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/valkanis-im-ready-for-the-challenge/1cu7blx17oxd1xc9qcpxgqvb4#sthash.UH5Jfvf6.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/valkanis-im-ready-for-the-challenge/1cu7blx17oxd1xc9qcpxgqvb4#urPHbGZcAiX0Z1jo.99

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If all he's going to do is continue on from where JvS left off then the second half of the season is going to be a disappointment. Possession-based football is fine - we were impressive beating Victory and Sydney to win the FFA Cup that way OK - but we've deteriorated markedly since. If Valkanis has any aspirations to be our Head Coach then he's got to turn our season around. CFG don't just want possession-based football, they want to win using it.

Looks as though he's aware of what's to be done:

“What I’m interested in now is getting results and playing good football and focusing the team on getting back on track. I’m not going to shy away that we’ve sort of fallen away since leaving the cup,” he said. - See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/valkanis-im-ready-for-the-challenge/1cu7blx17oxd1xc9qcpxgqvb4#sthash.UH5Jfvf6.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/valkanis-im-ready-for-the-challenge/1cu7blx17oxd1xc9qcpxgqvb4#urPHbGZcAiX0Z1jo.99

Rough translation, we've been shit for six weeks and now we need to be not shit and win stuff.

• Like 2

I wouldn't put too much in store on what Valkanis has said regarding the style of play or formation. He is being polite to JVS and given the rather short week that he has had to prepare he will most likely stick to the standard formation. Subsequent weeks (once JVS has left the country) we will really see whether he has changed formation and what results he is likely to have achieved.

As to speculation whether he is a contender or not, my thoughts are the he is unlikely and a more experienced coach will be sent in. I would be curious whether a Spanish speaking coach would be appointed as the scouts seem to have brought three South Americans - although the Danes would probably disagree.

• Like 3

Ok....so we've almost turned over the whole list. Now we need to totally clean out the coaches! WTF was that! F@#k the CFG and there beautiful game bullshit, just win a fucking game. I dont care if they bought us and gave us great facilities, it means sweet F@#k all unless we are a powerful great team. Only time ive been more pissed off would be last seasons FFA cup debacle against Perth. Ive had enough. #imout