Melbourne Football

The Grand Final. Western Sydney away.

NuggetsMcGreggor

4 hours ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

Well kind of. I was writing about facebook posts. That’s why I wrote: “posts by the A-Leagues facebook page”

I imagine they probably post the same things across each platform though. 

On a side note, since my post there have been:

1 post promoting the grand final

1 post about Melbourne City

4 posts about Central Coast

APL is simply trying to drum up enough visibility for fans who are more likely to travel to, and attend, the GF. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Did anyone nominate for the ballot for the road trip to Sydney? Nominations closed on 22nd May, but there's nothing further on the club website.

Couldn't think of anything worse than spending 20hrs on a bus for a 2-3 hour game 😥

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Did anyone nominate for the ballot for the road trip to Sydney? Nominations closed on 22nd May, but there's nothing further on the club website.

Yes, but i didn't action it once they announced option 2 was the successful one. That's way too much bus in two days and very little buildup

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bt50 said:

Yes, but i didn't action it once they announced option 2 was the successful one. That's way too much bus in two days and very little buildup

Exact same happened with us. 20 hours of bus in a 30 odd hour span was just too much. Would've been exciting for the first few hours but then.....

Would've been different if option 1 was picked... Which tbh, i can't believe it wasn't...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rass said:

Exact same happened with us. 20 hours of bus in a 30 odd hour span was just too much. Would've been exciting for the first few hours but then.....

Would've been different if option 1 was picked... Which tbh, i can't believe it wasn't...

I never bothered clicking the email.

What were the two options? Much of a price difference? 

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/join-our-epic-grand-final-road-trip No price is quoted here. The way it read to me was that you would be up for food, drinks, incidentals, and Saturday night's accommodation in Sydney, but everything else was going to be paid for by the club. $100 refundable deposit but no refund if you didn't turn up.

It might have been a sweeter deal if the accommodation in Sydney and transport to and from was arranged by the club, even if you had to pay for that component, but if you're not familiar with a place getting decent accommodation is a bit of a lottery. I've never been to Parramatta in my life and know absolutely nothing about it.

Pearce is likely in the UK. Maybe everyone could kip down at his mansion...? And any overflow to Townsend's place.

• Like 1

Obviously people picked Option 2 as it means they dont have to take a day off work on the Friday, but jesus christ, way to suck all the fun out of the whole experience.
You'd get virtually no pre-game, scrambling to get your gear to a hotel before kickoff, and then youd have to be hungover af on a bus all day Sunday.

Fizzer.

I was kinda hoping they'd split it and do a coach or more of each tbh.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Obviously people picked Option 2 as it means they dont have to take a day off work on the Friday, but jesus christ, way to suck all the fun out of the whole experience.
You'd get virtually no pre-game, scrambling to get your gear to a hotel before kickoff, and then youd have to be hungover af on a bus all day Sunday.

Fizzer.

I was kinda hoping they'd split it and do a coach or more of each tbh.

@bt50 Yes. I must say that when I first read it I assumed that there would be one coach or more of each. I had to read it twice to realise that it was going to be one or the other based on responses.

29 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Going to be a massive party

What an absolute farce this whole 'festival of football' has become. Sadly predictable.

On a slightly different course, came across this article opinion on 'the Roar' earlier today - for your reading pleasure.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/05/30/jamieson-to-kill-bambi-yet-most-fans-want-to-see-the-good-guys-slaughter-city/

2 hours ago, Cityamatic said:

What an absolute farce this whole 'festival of football' has become. Sadly predictable.

On a slightly different course, came across this article opinion on 'the Roar' earlier today - for your reading pleasure.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/05/30/jamieson-to-kill-bambi-yet-most-fans-want-to-see-the-good-guys-slaughter-city/

I gave the author the benefit of my opinion on Twitter. Got more likes than his bloody article...

3 hours ago, Cityamatic said:

What a bloody shambles. Our game cannot grow in Australia while we carry on like this. Just brings the whole game into disrepute.

31 minutes ago, citypool said:

Bring back gallop 

I don't think any of us should forget what Steven Lowy said at the time (2018) of proposed changes to the way football is run in Australia, which included the clubs' push to run the league. "Be careful what you wish for" were his very words.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Baka1 said:

No one likes us. No one likes us, we don’t care!

We are Millwall, super Mil-Bourne, from the Den!

Often thought this. Only in our case it's not through fearful levels of violence and intimidation, but just because we're good at football. Which is, I thought, rather the point...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Often thought this. Only in our case it's not through fearful levels of violence and intimidation, but just because we're good at football. Which is, I thought, rather the point...

Imo it's a case of the haves and have nots (even though it's a salary capped league). People use it as an excuse for their own clubs short comings and personal inferiorities.  

• Like 5

14 hours ago, n i k o said:

Imo it's a case of the haves and have nots (even though it's a salary capped league). People use it as an excuse for their own clubs short comings and personal inferiorities.  

The well-known Australian "tall-poppy syndrome."

Couldn’t help myself, had to make it to the grand final. Good times can’t be taken for granted I guess, as a St Kilda supporter, you take chances when they come. Anyway, I’ve warmed up at the hotel tonight with some schooners, tomorrow, is anyone heading anywhere in particular? We are in doesn’tbloodyparramatta, if there is another group of people heading somewhere in Parramatta let us know. Beers around City supporters sounds better than beers in the hotel bistro, so let me know 

2 hours ago, Rocka said:

Couldn’t help myself, had to make it to the grand final. Good times can’t be taken for granted I guess, as a St Kilda supporter, you take chances when they come. Anyway, I’ve warmed up at the hotel tonight with some schooners, tomorrow, is anyone heading anywhere in particular? We are in doesn’tbloodyparramatta, if there is another group of people heading somewhere in Parramatta let us know. Beers around City supporters sounds better than beers in the hotel bistro, so let me know 

From City website 

50683F24-9FF8-48F6-BC4D-86A4C5E819A3.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Did the club charter a flight for all those who thought they were going on a bus? Or is this just a rumor going around. Superb work if so.

Fucking dog move some of us bought plane tickets already, this club man.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bannon said:

From the club Twitter:

100 lucky City fans were expecting to be on a bus to the Grand Final earlier this morning, instead thanks to

@Nissan_Aus, the bus went straight to the airport where a charter flight to Sydney was waiting 

1 hour ago, Bannon said:

Yep and some of us who turned down the bus because Option 2 was selected and all the logistics around that; well that secret surprise is just a kick in the guts.

• Like 1

What I don't understand, more generally, is why we have to have such a rush to make decisions on these sorts of things - often we are given just 48 hours to make a decision on "members offer" tickets etc. Football just doesn't seem to understand that people do have other lives outside the game and many of us have to consult with others before making decisions.

A mate of mine and I have always promised each other that one season we would go to an "away" Grand Final. This isn't strictly that, but if we'd known that there was a charter flight (or two) we might have put our hands up after consulting with our respective wives.

Kick in the guts for fans who bought tickets because they didn't want to sit on a bus.

Either way should of just boycotted. CFG were involved in this fucked GF decision. Rocks for brains if you want to go up to Sydney and support this decision. Any KPIs met, and we won't see a GF in Melbourne for years.

Edited by haz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, haz said:

Kick in the guts for fans who bought tickets because they didn't want to sit on a bus.

Either way should of just boycotted. CFG were involved in this fucked GF decision. Rocks for brains if you want to go up to Sydney and support this decision. Any KPIs met, and we won't see a GF in Melbourne for years.

Not going is the only way!

I haven’t really been following it as the season is over but didn’t the club have charter flights organised then? Wasn’t that part of the deal that there was no inconvenience for the fans and the everything was going to be organised?

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1