Melbourne Football

The Grand Final. Western Sydney away.

NuggetsMcGreggor

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I have assumed that the second week is the "Festival of Football" culminating in the GF, although I can't find any program for said Festival.

Fell apart when APL couldn't pay or get the NSW government to pay the 4-5 million to get Bayern here for the aleague all stars match

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Mariners fans will turn out in numbers to save APL's face. Only outcome really is to bias GF strongly towards a NSW team and disadvantage City.

Exactly. Especially with 5 out of the current 12 clubs located within 120km of Sydney. What hurts me more is that the owners of our club were complicit in the decision. And people wonder why our attendances are what they are...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Having to offer City members 20% discount to buy a GF ticket...says it all.

i think offeriing a discount the travel would be a better BAIT , i will be watching from home myself. thole Sydney thing is still a total sellout for all fans outside of NSW.

• Like 2

I think it could go either way, and with it being in Sydney, with Central Coast having absolutely nothing to lose and who finished the season strongly, and who will have great support on the day, IMO they have the edge . Central Coast are a fast attacking side and I think our defence is very vulnerable against the quick counter. Up front we are still reluctant to shoot and very wasteful when we do.

• Like 1

We failed to pay Bayern Munich $4m to come down under to play in NSW for the grand final week right?

At the same time I hear “the league needs money” to justify to the grand final decision.

Seems like we just needed a lot of money to bring a European team down and than just bank visitors, nothing to with investing in the league.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Can we actually talk about the game or are we just going to continue to have a cry about the apl decision?

Probably a couple pages of crying then talk about the game...

But on a serious note, both teams match up well with attacking intent. Although we are the better team we will be more the underdogs. Purely on the fact 95% ofthe crowd will be Mariners or neutral supporters. Pretty much a home game for the Mariners and virtually everyone will be against us except our own fans. Hostile environment etc etc.

I believe this team is stronger than last years grand finalists. Hopefully our experience pays off in this game, as the Mariners have barely any finals experience in the past decade...

• Like 1

On 22/05/2023 at 7:59 PM, jw1739 said:

Some of us don't roll over so easily. 

If we're going to play that game.

Do people know much about our owner and how he had acquired his wealth? Or even about his human rights record?A little bit of digging may show that he is not exactly a shining beacon of humanity so we should really be boycotting the club too...

In all seriousness I understand the frustration with the grand final decision and tbh I don't think their is one person out there that agrees with what is going on. It just gets tiresome having to talk about the same issue every thread when people like myself,  just want to talk about what's going on, on the pitch rather then what's going on off it.

If people wish to not go and boycott the grand final that's their decision. But I wanna watch the game (on TV for the record) and enjoy it and I don't really give a fuck what people say about it sorry. I'm here to support the team first and foremost and that's what I'm going to do

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

If we're going to play that game.

Do people know much about our owner and how he had acquired his wealth? Or even about his human rights record?A little bit of digging may show that he is not exactly a shining beacon of humanity so we should really be boycotting the club too...

In all seriousness I understand the frustration with the grand final decision and tbh I don't think their is one person out there that agrees with what is going on. It just gets tiresome having to talk about the same issue every thread when people like myself,  just want to talk about what's going on, on the pitch rather then what's going on off it.

If people wish to not go and boycott the grand final that's their decision. But I wanna watch the game (on TV for the record) and enjoy it and I don't really give a fuck what people say about it sorry. I'm here to support the team first and foremost and that's what I'm going to do

I have a feeling that doubts about the ownership of City is one reason why we don't have a bigger fanbase.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

So the current breakdown of posts by the A-Leagues facebook page looks like this:

(started counting posts after each team's 2nd semi finished, so we've had 24 hours extra)

Both (posts promoting the grand final match) - 4

City - 19

CCM - 44

Forgive me, but I don't know whether that's good or bad. Without the "Festival of Football" are we losing momentum with a two-week wait for the GF?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Forgive me, but I don't know whether that's good or bad. Without the "Festival of Football" are we losing momentum with a two-week wait for the GF?

The point I was making was that CCM are getting all the hype and media attention.

In a way it's good for us as it piles the pressure and expectation on them, but at the same time it does feel like another example of how we're not getting treated fairly by the league.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

The point I was making was that CCM are getting all the hype and media attention.

In a way it's good for us as it piles the pressure and expectation on them, but at the same time it does feel like another example of how we're not getting treated fairly by the league.

Ah, so you were writing about promotional tweets by the League itself. Well, two points - I wouldn't have expected anything else from  Sydney-centric APL, and why did  Mr. Sportswash support the GF decision in the first place unless it was the influence of Silver Lake?

Edited by jw1739

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Ah, so you were writing about promotional tweets by the League itself. Well, two points - I wouldn't have expected anything else from  Sydney-centric APL, and why did  Mr. Sportswash support the GF decision in the first place unless it was the influence of Silver Lake?

Well kind of. I was writing about facebook posts. That’s why I wrote: “posts by the A-Leagues facebook page”

I imagine they probably post the same things across each platform though. 

On a side note, since my post there have been:

1 post promoting the grand final

1 post about Melbourne City

4 posts about Central Coast

I don't do (anti-)social media so I'm not likely to be influenced by it one way or the other. But after reading your post, just for interest and comparison, I checked out our club website. I think it's fair to say that there is not a lot of hype there either.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1