Melbourne Football

Semi number 2 vs Sydney Friday 19th of May

heart1011

On the whole everyone did their job, we were composed, professional, willing to control the ball, move it around and deny the opposition, overall we did exactly what was needed, we killed off any chance Sydney could get back into it. Our confidence in close was noticeable, we're the best at it in the competition, so only having to play against 9 outfielders played completely into our hands. On a night where only one mistake could decide the contest we took full advantage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Some might say that it was better without active. The best atmosphere that we have enjoyed all season in fact. I haven't seen a number for the crowd yet, but IMO it was one of our larger attendances for the season.

Really it was no contest after the send-off, I have seen one statistic saying we had 77% possession, and it was like a cat playing with a mouse, despite several of our bigger names not having their best games IMO. I thought Tilio and Good deserved the votes this week. We're going to miss Marco if he leaves. 

I don't know who these people are that would say it was better without active. Lucky, in some way, the Sydney fans at least sung or else it would be a completely dead atmosphere. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Some might say that it was better without active. The best atmosphere that we have enjoyed all season in fact. I haven't seen a number for the crowd yet, but IMO it was one of our larger attendances for the season.

Really it was no contest after the send-off, I have seen one statistic saying we had 77% possession, and it was like a cat playing with a mouse, despite several of our bigger names not having their best games IMO. I thought Tilio and Good deserved the votes this week. We're going to miss Marco if he leaves. 

Sorry to be a downer but I thought the atmosphere sucked.

You enter the stadium it's dull as no noise nothing really indicating there is a match on well except the security and cops.

Then they do a DJ show which doesn't fit our sport but at least they tried. Active unless they sing about our players I couldn't care less. The thing I do like about city matches is everyone there cares about the match and is into it I don't see see to many looking bored or on their phones. 

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

And now you see idiots on social media saying that a GF in Sydney is justified as City didn’t draw a big crowd. 

I agree that 12k would have been realistic without the boycots. 

By that logic, the only teams that will ever earn the right to a home final are Smurfs, WSW and the visit0rs, perhaps Adelaide

31 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

And now you see idiots on social media saying that a GF in Sydney is justified as City didn’t draw a big crowd. 

I agree that 12k would have been realistic without the boycots. 

It was almost the same crowd as versus Adelaide last season (9,347). Last season's derby Grand Final vs. Western drew 22,495, and there's no reason to suggest that we wouldn't have drawn at least 22,000 for a home GF this season.

It really shits me this expectation that we're going to draw more fans than this, especially the way the decision was made and now that there's no ACL at the end of it anyway. IMO these are perfectly respectable attendance numbers. And it might help if the same-seat ticket window for members was open for more than 48 hours. Before her indoors had made up her mind whether she would go or not the window had closed, and I was debating whether to go myself.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It was almost the same crowd as versus Adelaide last season (9,347). Last season's derby Grand Final vs. Western drew 22,495, and there's no reason to suggest that we wouldn't have drawn at least 22,000 for a home GF this season.

It really shits me this expectation that we're going to draw more fans than this, especially the way the decision was made and now that there's no ACL at the end of it anyway. IMO these are perfectly respectable attendance numbers. And it might help if the same-seat ticket window for members was open for more than 48 hours. Before her indoors had made up her mind whether she would go or not the window had closed, and I was debating whether to go myself.

Well for this SF match I just know for a fact that we would have drawn more as I know dozens of people who are boycotting now or have stopped going ever since it became clear that we are a big contributor to the finals debacle and are out of touch with our fan base.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

None of my season ticket holding friendship group went to the game. I’d guess the attendance would have been at least 20% higher without the grand final decision. 

We would have got a decent turnout for a home final. 

I hope they get less than 10k in Sydney. And for most of them to be sponsor/corporate tickets. 

Edited by Tangerine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tangerine said:

None of my season ticket holding friendship group went to the game. I’d guess the attendance would have been at least 20% higher without the grand final decision. 

We would have got a decent turnout for a home final. 

I hope they get less than 10k in Sydney. And for most of them to be sponsor/corporate tickets. 

If Marines qualify i reckon 15k of them would drive down the highway for the final, perhaps more...we may have a few hundred in the bay plus a few theatre goers. Could be 20k crowd or so.

However if Adelaide make it then i would suspect a 10k crowd 

I also think the football purest are just not into the Finals Series.

Let's face it, we are champions.  They've already given us a proper trophy recognised by FIFA and that gets us into the ACL.

The blatant sting and cash grab for finals just doesn't sit well, especially given the cost of memberships, and like mentioned above the limited benefit you get for being a paid up member come finals.

To me, if they did a proper Australian Cup, and timed it better throughout the season, that could be the final game of the year. It would be a lot more genuine, and I reckon worth paying for (rather than it being a dodgy pre-season fixture).

• Like 2

On 20/5/2023 at 10:11 PM, Mr MO said:

What did he say?

He questioned Rado's pick of Adelaide after CCM had a combined 12-1 against them this year (fair enough but to Rado's defence I think he wanted a showdown with Adelaide as they have been quite good against us recently) but he then went on to claim we only beat them in 45 degree heat with 4 drinks breaks after an error from them, and then said they deserved to win the recent 1-1 draw they were the better team. He was about to really mouth off you could sense it and as a coach he is known to play the man a fair bit so I think it's up to Rado to show the clip to the boys and see how they feel about it. On a side note I thought we beat them 3-2 recently too but it turns out that was in Feb '22, so overall the 2 teams are fairly evenly matched  this season, but all said I'd want to show that clip of Montgomery's challenge to the validity of recent results to really spur our players on.

2 hours ago, kiko said:

He questioned Rado's pick of Adelaide after CCM had a combined 12-1 against them this year (fair enough but to Rado's defence I think he wanted a showdown with Adelaide as they have been quite good against us recently) but he then went on to claim we only beat them in 45 degree heat with 4 drinks breaks after an error from them, and then said they deserved to win the recent 1-1 draw they were the better team. He was about to really mouth off you could sense it and as a coach he is known to play the man a fair bit so I think it's up to Rado to show the clip to the boys and see how they feel about it. On a side note I thought we beat them 3-2 recently too but it turns out that was in Feb '22, so overall the 2 teams are fairly evenly matched  this season, but all said I'd want to show that clip of Montgomery's challenge to the validity of recent results to really spur our players on.

Not sure how much the us vs them schtik works these days. Specially since quite often the players have known each other through youth academies and the like. I feel that given that half the starting line up is about to depart they are better off by giving each other a farewell gift by winning the trophy.

• Like 1

I really doubt that our players even know what he said let alone take any notice of it if they do. Rado could have shown a bit more class and said that we're pleased to play in the GF and look forward to a great match against whoever wins the other semi-final, and leave it at that, but he didn't. In the end I doubt that  a few pre-match words will have any impact on the match - the best team on the night will win it. Central Coast have had a good season and will play in the AFC Cup next season, while we will be in the Champions League. Great outcome for both clubs and their fans.