Melbourne Football

Semi vs Sydney, Friday 12th May

fensaddler

Lets be honest boys and I'm not just saying this because of tonight's result..

Finals mean shit now.. apart from a trophy it gives you absolutely nothing.. we won what matters and are playing in the ACL again. Of course if we were to win the GF it would be a nice way to end the season but the finals is litteraly an end of season cup..

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Oh how obvious, every 50/50 was already going their way but this is taken it to another level.

On the pen, I actually thought Reis kicked the ball first.

Same with Nuno, clearly got the ball, but they have been given and it was all the sniff the ref needed.

Just now, heart1011 said:

Finals mean shit now.. apart from a trophy it gives you absolutely nothing.. we won what matters and are playing in the ACL again. Of course if we were to win the GF it would be a nice way to end the season but the finals is litteraly an end of season cup..

I've always seen it as a cup, AFC see's it as a cup as well.

50 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

Look.

I understand that most people on here watch European football where the regular season title is the most significant. However, we have a chance to win another trophy and should be treating the final series seriously. I understand everyone is pissed off at the grand final hosting decision, but we don't know when we will get another chance to add to the trophy cabinet so let's go for it whilst we can

We were really poor tonight barring 10-15 minutes of the game and are lucky to be walking away with a draw. Hopefully being at home means we'll be much better, but we cannot bring the same level of intensity that we brought tonight and expect that things will just "happen" for us. Sydney have been playing well of late, and it's going to take our best performance to beat them 

Edited by kingofhearts

12 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Look.

I understand that most people on here watch European football where the regular season title is the most significant. However, we have a chance to win another trophy and should be treating the final series seriously. I understand everyone is pissed off at the grand final hosting decision, but we don't know when we will get another chance to add to the trophy cabinet so let's get it

I agree with this. IMO it applies to any competition at any level that we're in.

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Can somebody confirm that you actually can change penalty takers after an infringement?

Yes, you can. I have read it in multiple places. I'm not sure that the latest rules specifically allow or preclude it, but it is allowed. See https://refchat.co.uk/threads/penalty-retakes.7580/#:~:text=Within the 90 (or 120,retaken%2C the kicker can change. I know that link is old but there are plenty of others.

• Like 1

I'll take a draw last night even though a win would have been a bit of a relief. Draw was handy as Sydney obviously going to be up for it with their home crowd and cow paddock pitch surface, so not a bad result. We need to punish them next week and be more clinical in front of goals as we created plenty of chances but just didn't convert. 

frustrated by the result but feel very fortunate that they had two goals chalked off by VAR. 

feel a little sorry for Talbot, but that VAR decision is 100% correct.

one take away i had from last night is that a number of smurfs looked cooked at the 75-80 min mark.  for me that puts us in good stead for Friday, particularly if we are back at full strength.

fingers crossed it's nothing serious with O'Neil.  with him back in (in place of VDV who i thought was really poor last night) and Lam for Nuno, i honestly believe we will give them a pasting.

4 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

frustrated by the result but feel very fortunate that they had two goals chalked off by VAR. 

feel a little sorry for Talbot, but that VAR decision is 100% correct.

one take away i had from last night is that a number of smurfs looked cooked at the 75-80 min mark.  for me that puts us in good stead for Friday, particularly if we are back at full strength.

fingers crossed it's nothing serious with O'Neil.  with him back in (in place of VDV who i thought was really poor last night) and Lam for Nuno, i honestly believe we will give them a pasting.

Although I loathe VAR in the first place and IMO it very overused in the A-League, and that it should be used only in limited circumstances and then only at the request of the on-field referee, if it is going to be used then it has to be applied fairly to both teams, and I don't see that it was applied unfairly in last night's match.

A frustrating game: we controlled the first half but failed to adapt during the second half. A draw was fair.

Positives:

A good first half from us, although we missed Lam in defence and O'Neill in midfield; Nuno needs to make fewer defensive errors.

It was telling that Glover was our best player; we have him to thank for the tie still being alive.

Negatives:

Too many players MIA: JMac, Florin, vdV

The Smurfs closed down the passing lanes and controlled space better in the second half; we failed to adapt.

Very few younger players get minutes; why even select them? We have a good Academy and a great young-player production line, but the transition to the senior team seems to have stopped with Bos.

23 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Very few younger players get minutes; why even select them? We have a good Academy and a great young-player production line, but the transition to the senior team seems to have stopped with Bos.

According to the rules we have to have a certain number of U-23 players in the match squad. https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/sydney-penalised-for-a-league-bench-rule-breach-578822

This is why we have to be careful in our signings.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

According to the rules we have to have a certain number of U-23 players in the match squad. https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/sydney-penalised-for-a-league-bench-rule-breach-578822

This is why we have to be careful in our signings.

they are only bench-warmers, not good for their careers or for us next season. We really need to avoid the trap the Smurfs fell into of retaining an ageing squad, with all their good young players leaving (for us).

Edited by belaguttman

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

they are only bench-warmers, not good for their careers or for us next season. We really need to avoid the trap the Smurfs fell into of retaining an ageing squad, with all their good young players leaving (for us).

We have definitely capitalised on the smurfs sticking with the seniors over the youth. I feel this is probably Sydney's last genuine crack at the grand final as i can't see them remaining competitive with this old squad. One of a couple teams that need a huge overhaul!

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

I agree. This concerns me a little when we look at our squad.

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Although I loathe VAR in the first place and IMO it very overused in the A-League, and that it should be used only in limited circumstances and then only at the request of the on-field referee, if it is going to be used then it has to be applied fairly to both teams, and I don't see that it was applied unfairly in last night's match.

complete agreement with you; the VAR on Friday night was evenly applied to both teams.  we have no real leg to stand on complaining about any VAR decision outside of the VAR being trigger happy to review every little thing.

and that's where your first point is bang on.  the VAR is there for the absolutely clear and obvious error.  while the right result came through on the Leckie goal, i do wonder how there could have been a clear and obvious error.  both offside goals and the penalty retakes were clear as mud.  unfortunately, the powers that be see this as an end in itself

• Like 2

yeah, annoying since encroachment is so rarely called on penalties.

my take is that generally encroachment very rarely has an impact since the vast majority of penalties are scored by the taker (either straight up or via rebound), put wide or saved (held by the keeper or turned around the post).  hence, its rarely call since there's little to no impact on the result - Talbot on the other had had a very clear impact on what happened on where the ball ended up.

so while its frustrating with the Talbot situation that its so rarely seen, i do also think we have to focus on what we can control; not lunging into poor tackles (Nuno Reis) or waiting until the shots taken (Talbot).

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

yeah, annoying since encroachment is so rarely called on penalties.

my take is that generally encroachment very rarely has an impact since the vast majority of penalties are scored by the taker (either straight up or via rebound), put wide or saved (held by the keeper or turned around the post).  hence, its rarely call since there's little to no impact on the result - Talbot on the other had had a very clear impact on what happened on where the ball ended up.

so while its frustrating with the Talbot situation that its so rarely seen, i do also think we have to focus on what we can control; not lunging into poor tackles (Nuno Reis) or waiting until the shots taken (Talbot).

Something to train on, could Glover followed through and grabbed the ball in second instance. I need to watch it again but I remember seeing him getting up and stepping back when Talbot cleared.

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

Ive got no issue with the decision to retake the pen in of itself, but it is extremely annoying when its the first time theyve decided to look at it all year.

It kind of leaves the impression that they can let it go during the season because "things even themselves out over the season don't they?" but in the finals "let's watch it closely."

Overall, best not to complain though - pre-VAR I doubt very much that the offside call would have been made on Sydney's disallowed goal.

Further, it brings into focus wastefulness in front of goal, which is something that I think we need to look at in general terms. If you put away the easy ones then you don't have to worry about the odd decision going against you.

• Like 1