Melbourne Football

A-League Finals 2022-23

jw1739

47 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO most of us will be torn between wanting to go to support the lads and wanting to stay away to demonstrate our disgust at the decision to move the GF to Sydney.

Our active has also announced a boycot. I think only the WSW supporters group has officially come forward saying that they are still going.

I know there was a fair few people in the other thread questioning the low turn out for our final home game. Myself and few others I know have stopped going to games all together as soon as it became clear that we are the driving force behind the finals debacle.

Simon Hill was also questioning on Twitter on how City is not growing their supporter base whilst being successful. The answer is out of touch and self destruct despite good work being done the last couple of seasons.

So in short, I’ll be supporting the boys from the TV!

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Our active has also announced a boycot. I think only the WSW supporters group has officially come forward saying that they are still going.

I know there was a fair few people in the other thread questioning the low turn out for our final home game. Myself and few others I know have stopped going to games all together as soon as it became clear that we are the driving force behind the finals debacle.

Simon Hill was also questioning on Twitter on how City is not growing their supporter base whilst being successful. The answer is out of touch and self destruct despite good work being done the last couple of seasons.

So in short, I’ll be supporting the boys from the TV!

Not necessarily. In the AFL North Melbourne, were incredily successful for a long period of time and yet their membership remained (and I thinks it still is) the smallest of the Victorian clubs. Hawthorn were in a similar vein but eventually they took off. I just don't think that the problem is at club level, it also has to be A-League wide. I don't know what the total membership is for all clubs but it would make interesting viewing comparing all clubs year on year.

I strongly disagree that the club is the main reason our membership base is not growing tbh. 
It's really difficult to put your finger on imo, but i dont think they are getting anything horribly wrong from an administrative point. Its not perfect, but imo they are doing most things better than everyone else in the league.

To me, and it seems to be in Victoria in particular, the general malaise of the league is really the main factor. The general punter and theatregoer just isnt even slightly interested. I think a large part of it is the negative publicity, esp surrounding the GF decision and the Victory stuff that went down at the Xmas derby, but even then i tend to tie it back to the fact active support in Victoria has been pushing up daisies for quite a few seasons.
IMO thats the big point of difference down here compared to the other codes and the club only can have so much control over that. The fact it has gone steadily downhill (no offence to those that put in the effort, believe me i know its a tough job) since 15/16 in terms of our club has just led to a big lack of atmosphere, and from that the more casual viewers just drop off and dont come back.

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I strongly disagree that the club is the main reason our membership base is not growing tbh. 
It's really difficult to put your finger on imo, but i dont think they are getting anything horribly wrong from an administrative point. Its not perfect, but imo they are doing most things better than everyone else in the league.

To me, and it seems to be in Victoria in particular, the general malaise of the league is really the main factor. The general punter and theatregoer just isnt even slightly interested. I think a large part of it is the negative publicity, esp surrounding the GF decision and the Victory stuff that went down at the Xmas derby, but even then i tend to tie it back to the fact active support in Victoria has been pushing up daisies for quite a few seasons.
IMO thats the big point of difference down here compared to the other codes and the club only can have so much control over that. The fact it has gone steadily downhill (no offence to those that put in the effort, believe me i know its a tough job) since 15/16 in terms of our club has just led to a big lack of atmosphere, and from that the more casual viewers just drop off and dont come back.

I tend to agree with you here. 

But I don't know whether it's just our club, or all the clubs involved in the Finals series, but I've just opened an email from City to say that the Members' Pre-Sale for our home semi opened an hour ago. FMD this is is just hassling people and barely gives us time to think let alone get to the rest of the Gang and see who wants to go.

On a side topic, did anyone hear much previously about the All Stars vs Bayern Munich game prior to Bayern pulling out?

The only thing I can find prior to the articles this week is speculation from late Feb.

Another shit show by the APL all the same 

I feel sad more than anything.

You would think that both APL and Destination NSW would have had all the necessary components of the "Festival of Football" in place before signing the deal they struck a few months ago. But it seems not. Everyone knows that these so-called big clubs demand huge fees for off-season tours so it's hardly a surprise that APL can't meet the demands of Bayern.

Sometimes I even start to feel sorry for football administrators in this country, because they seem to take mis-step after mis-step. But I think the basic problem is that we don't cut our coat according to our cloth. Football is not the major sporting interest here. The A-League is not the best league in the AFC - in fact it ranks quite low - and IMO it would be better that we focussed on what is under our control, and do that well, rather than have so many grandiose ideas.

The finals series, although now of lesser importance because of the changes in qualification for AFC tournaments, was working quite satisfactorily for everyone prior to the changes made by APL. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Hopefully when we get to 14 teams the competition has a bit of a reset because it's run terribly at the moment 

I'm afraid that I am fundamentally against any further expansion of the League while the present administration is in place. The whole of APL stinks to high heaven and is taking football in this country in the wrong direction.

• Like 2

The ''finals'' series is a travesty designed to milk fans of their cash with a format which is alien to the world game. 

I went along with it, reluctantly, for many years, but the APL decision and the shocking part that MANCHESTER City played in that decision - a club I could not give two fvcks about (despite really admiring  the staggering ability of Haaland) -  made up my mind for me.

HUGE congratulations to our Melbourne City team for winning the league.

The job is done.

I can't see me ever paying to attend ''finals'' football again.  A year or two of half-empty ''grand finals'' might just bring these idiots around.  Tough for them if not.

Let's just drop this ''finals'' nonsense once and for all. I'm done with it. And, to be honest, still 50/50 about whether I will renew my membership as a result of this debacle.

Edited by CityWildcat
  • Like 4

I still do not like the fact that Silver Lake holds an interest in both the A-League and Melbourne City (via CFG). I don't believe that our club should take any part in the management of the league as there is a clear conflict of interest. We should simply have a vote, equal to that of each of the other clubs, when all the clubs are consulted on a particular decision, but no more than that. 

There should be more value put on the Australian Cup, and that should be played in Sydney two weeks after the last game of the season (like the FA Cup at Wembley)

They should also eventually have relegation / promotion playoffs at this time as well.  That can be their festival of football.

I cant get motivated about finals this year, without the hope of us playing at home in the finals cup final ... (as we are already league champions)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I still do not like the fact that Silver Lake holds an interest in both the A-League and Melbourne City (via CFG). I don't believe that our club should take any part in the management of the league as there is a clear conflict of interest. We should simply have a vote, equal to that of each of the other clubs, when all the clubs are consulted on a particular decision, but no more than that. 

Sorry, I disagree. This is a voluntary association hence conflicts of interests are not the same as in a governmental/commercial role. Note that in private practice potential  conflicts of interests happen all the time but it does not necessarily imply that there is anything nefarious happening. I work in an industry where basically just about everyone has worked with someone who is a competitor/associate/customer because there are a very small number of players. The fact that I sign conflict of interest forms, take judicious notes, etc. means that the industry is relatively clean (although it does not stop me from loathing some of teh individuals in it). So I think that everyone knows who CFG/Silver Lake people are. And the fact that this impacts the club's bottom line, I feel that it is only fair that CFG participate in the managing competition.

It's Sydney. Again.

And if Sydney manage to luck themselves into a final, after a crap season, with the tie played in Sydney because of a dodgy deal, it will further undermine the credibility of the finals, the APL and the A League. Just hope we can knock them out.

34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Why is it so hard? Responded to the email from the club this morning, which repeated my password, and went to buy a GA ticket and the website tells me my password has expired...

Got on to Ryan. Of course he could fix it - with a generic password. The problem is APL...

Edited by jw1739

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Got on to Ryan. Of course he could fix it - with a generic password. The problem is APL...

I'm in Bay 19 at the Southern End. There are not many seats sold there so far - plenty of room.

Edited by jw1739