Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Western Sydney Wanderers, 28 Apr 2023, AAMI Park 7.45 p.m.

citypool

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Thinking further about it - yes, took the gloss off it didn't it? There was 10-15 minutes between the final whistle and the start of the presentations and that was the opportunity for a spontaneous informal first lap of honour and photographs etc.

Agreed, unfortunately!

I hope they learn from this (which I doubt as us supporters have never been the priority for a slick, well oiled cog in the global CFG machine). 

Please look after your fans: especially the young ones who idolise players and were tired, wet and upset that their heroes couldn't be bothered to even give them a wave 45 minutes post match.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

MO these two points are linked and are our problem. When we're so leaky in defence - hell, we almost coughed up a goal in the final minute of added time - we can't afford to give up-and-coming players 20-30 minutes match time. What this means is that our best young players may get all the way to a Scholarship and then slide away to another club for opportunity without first graduating to a full season in our A-League team.

We stitched up the Premiers Plate a few games ago. Now, we need to team build for next season; I want us to win 4 Plates in a row!

55 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We stitched up the Premiers Plate a few games ago. Now, we need to team build for next season; I want us to win 4 Plates in a row!

Next season I reckon is going to be a more challenging season as we're likely to lose a handful of key players! 

Will be quite an interesting off season as there is likely to be a lot of transfer activity compared to the past 2 or 3 seasons...

12 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Seemed bigger. Perhaps because we sit close to Active and there was a bigger than usual turnout there. Not the numbers that the football deserves.

Worth noting that the Adelaide - Central Coast match drew over 12,000.

1 hour ago, citypool said:

The 6k that turn up are into the match.

But 

We really should be averaging 10k with the squad we have 

IMO there's no "should" about it. You get the crowds that you deserve. I also think that while any successes of CFG and other CFG clubs have little or no impact on interest in Melbourne City, being what is effectively a football club owned by a State puts quite a lot of people off our club. There is quite a bit of discussion of the future of football in Europe as a result of State-owned clubs such as Manchester City, Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain, and also the emergence of the "Big Four" and "Big Six" groups of clubs in various leagues.

In Australia we don't have a big reservoir of fans ready and waiting to buy memberships if existing members drift away from the game and a club. Neither do we have a voracious media to publicise the game and IMO neither do we manage the game well - the GF decision being a perfect example of how to shoot yourself in the foot.

• Like 5