Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Western Sydney Wanderers, 28 Apr 2023, AAMI Park 7.45 p.m.

citypool

I got a email from the club Members round. Got some cool competitions you can win including the chance to toss the coin, premium seats and be on the guard of honour. 

Good to see the club trying something even if it's the last round of the season 

Edited by jw1739

given the smurfs won last night, by God i hope we pump these bogans by a tonne.  the smurfs are all but guaranteed to finish 5th, which means a WSW loss this week (particularly if by a large margin) would see the WSW host the smurfs round one of the finals.

ideally there would be no Sydney derby during finals, but at least means that a first week square off means the derby can't be during the GF (Townsends wet dream).

• Thanks 2

• jw1739 changed the title to Melbourne City vs Western Sydney Wanderers, 28 Apr 2023, AAMI Park 7.45 p.m.

Nothing of note to mention in terms of the squad except that 19-year-old James Nieuwenhuizen recently fractured his hand which will see him out for an extended period, joining Arion Sulemani (ACL) on the unavailable list.:

1. Tom GLOVER (GK), 2. Scott GALLOWAY, 3. Scott JAMIESON (C), 4. Nuno REIS, 6. Thomas LAM, 7. Mathew LECKIE, 8. Richard VAN DER VENNE, 9. Jamie MACLAREN, 10. Florin BERENGUER, 13. Aiden O’NEILL, 15. Andrew NABBOUT, 18. Jordon HALL, 23. Marco TILIO, 25. Callum TALBOT, 33. Matthew SUTTON (GK), 35. Raphael BORGES RODRIGUES, 37. Max CAPUTO, 38. Jordan BOS.

In: 14. Valon BERISHA (promoted), 22. Curtis GOOD (promoted).

Out: Nil.

Unavailable: 34. Arion SULEMANI (ACL), 40. James NIEUWENHUIZEN (hand).

4 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

Jamo dropped back to the bench thank fuck! He has been absolutely woeful of late and does not slot into that midfield position at all!!

Berisha is out with a minor hip issue apparently. None the less it's a strong line-up! ❤️FB_IMG_1682672239454.thumb.jpg.3be8f92f801b8e1aa42e388e1ad89b77.jpg

Yeah Jamos dusted and needs to hang up the boots...been a great servant of the club but times up. Should be a good game tonight with both teams fielding strong lineup!

That was such a great way to end the season!!

Most wins in club history with 16

Largest goal difference of +29

Largest winning margin over second place with 11 points gap.

Most points accumulated in our history with 55 and importantly beating Victorys effort of 53 points .

Last but certainly not least we got to witness a 3rd consecutive premier plate being lifted!

C'mon City!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In the end it was an entertaining match - or the second half was. Tilio had an excellent second half, Talbot ran his socks off for the whole match and provided much of the forward momentum, Glover made a couple of important saves, JMac was there to pounce when it was needed, and contrary to popular opinion IMO Jamo provided a bit more forward thrust when he came on. In contrast I thought Nabbout had an absolute shocker, and several other players were well below their best.  As Jamo said after the match, it's going to be hard to win another Premiership this next season.

21 minutes ago, citypool said:

Only complaint with tonight was the players could of come around more for photos at the end. Dkng forget your fans fellas 

Agree with this. It's something that the lads used to do fairly regularly - come to the southern end and acknowledge the fans - but it's slipped away over the past two seasons or so.

The crowd was a huge disappointment, but for those of us who were there, enjoy the feeling. Asian Champions League next season, and we're joined in Asia by Central Coast Mariners who will be in the AFC Cup - congratulations to them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

In the end it was an entertaining match - or the second half was. Tilio had an excellent second half, Talbot ran his socks off for the whole match and provided much of the forward momentum, Glover made a couple of important saves, JMac was there to pounce when it was needed, and contrary to popular opinion IMO Jamo provided a bit more forward thrust when he came on. In contrast I thought Nabbout had an absolute shocker, and several other players were well below their best.  As Jamo said after the match, it's going to be hard to win another Premiership this next season.

Agree with this. It's something that the lads used to do fairly regularly - come to the southern end and acknowledge the fans - but it's slipped away over the past two seasons or so.

The crowd was a huge disappointment, but for those of us who were there, enjoy the feeling. Asian Champions League next season, and we're joined in Asia by Central Coast Mariners who will be in the AFC Cup - congratulations to them.

I should say van de venne, Talbot and nuno came over but the others didn't. Jamieson seems to always head to active in particular. Anyways was a really entertaining game I enjoyed this season 

IIRC three players went over to the Eastern Wing where their children were - which is great because let the players' families enjoy the moment as well as us - and I think it was Nabbout who insisted that the lads come closer to the fans at the Southern End.

It's always a bit of an anti-climax because it takes too long to set up the bits and pieces for the formalities, and by then half the crowd has called it a day and headed for the exits. Don't know how you could get around this unless the players did an informal lap of honour before the actual formal presentations. 

Don't know whether we'd all feel so good this morning if that last WSW poster had gone in, but the 3-2 win was a nailbiter and a fitting end to the season!

Edited by jw1739

Last night was a very satisfying end to the season, the game was won in a fairly typical City fashion

Positives:

Premiers Plate, the third season in a row

WSW defended well, and we found a way through their organised low block...3 times.

Tilio, at his best; what a career he can have if he finds a way to be consistent.

Three team goals, all created through the use of space and movement

Negatives:

What will it take for us to keep a clean sheet?

Tilio's inconsistency, will we see this Marco in the finals?

I feel for Nabbout, it wasn't his night. I'm not sure I'd keep him next season

We really should have been giving more game time to the young players that we will be relying on for next season's team. We are sure to lose 4 or 5 starting players next season

13 hours ago, citypool said:

Only complaint with tonight was the players could of come around more for photos at the end. Dkng forget your fans fellas 

Thanks for mentioning this: thought I was the only one who felt this way!

To be honest, as a member since day 1 and a regular attendee, this was poor form by the boys last night.

They may have been asked not to get too close given COVID and finals etc but there were a couple of players who made the effort to wave and pose for pictures which makes me think they weren't told not to mingle.

I found it ironic that this was supposed to be Members Round: how about recognising your fans who sat through the rain (particularly the kids / families who hung around until 10.30pm for a photo or wave!)

Congrats boys on the Plate and general level this season but I found it pretty ordinary as a 14 year season ticket holder...  

Edited by Heart Inaugural
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

What will it take for us to keep a clean sheet?

Tilio's inconsistency, will we see this Marco in the finals?

I feel for Nabbout, it wasn't his night. I'm not sure I'd keep him next season

We really should have been giving more game time to the young players that we will be relying on for next season's team. We are sure to lose 4 or 5 starting players next season

IMO these two points are linked and are our problem. When we're so leaky in defence - hell, we almost coughed up a goal in the final minute of added time - we can't afford to give up-and-coming players 20-30 minutes match time. What this means is that our best young players may get all the way to a Scholarship and then slide away to another club for opportunity without first graduating to a full season in our A-League team.

IMO we compounded this problem in defence by signing players on longer-term contracts. The balance between stability and building for the next season is an interesting strategic issue for the club.

Players such as Bos and Tilio have impressed when they've decided, consciously or not, to abandon the tippy-tappy stuff and take on players and go for goal.

Trivium fact: Central Coast have a bright young goal-scoring star named Marco Tulio...!

Edited by jw1739

12 minutes ago, Heart Inaugural said:

Thanks for mentioning this: thought I was the only one who felt this way!

To be honest, as a member since day 1 and a regular attendee, this was poor form by the boys last night.

They may have been asked not to get too close given COVID and finals etc but there were a couple of players who made the effort to wave and pose for pictures which makes me think they weren't told not to mingle.

I found it ironic that this was supposed to be Members Round: how about recognising your fans who sat through the rain (particularly the kids / families who hung around until 10.30pm for a photo or wave!)

Congrats boys on the Plate and general level this season but I found it pretty ordinary as a 14 year season ticket holder...  

Thinking further about it - yes, took the gloss off it didn't it? There was 10-15 minutes between the final whistle and the start of the presentations and that was the opportunity for a spontaneous informal first lap of honour and photographs etc.

• Like 1