Melbourne Football

Saturday 22nd April, 7:45 KO vs Nomad FC

kingofhearts

Torn on this one as I am not fussed about the dunny seat. Definitely it would be good to win. But I would like to see some other players get game time. If VdV is back, I would have him on the bench and give him 30 minutes (replace Berisha). Berenguer to have full 90 minutes. First half Talbot, second half Galloway/Stokes. First 60 minutes Good, next 30 minutes Hall. First half Caputo/Rafa, second half Tilio/Nabbout. JMac gets a reprieve. If City win/draw then a bonus otherwise I would be content that players are getting game time as I don't expect the same line up for the ACL as contracts and loans come to an end.

• Like 1

Id try and be smart with team selection this week, and go back to full strength for the wsw game.

I'd go something like. Glover - Galloway Reis Hall Bos - Best youth CDM Berisha Berenguer - Tilio Raph Nabbout

I think that's still strong enough for a good performance, but gives some key players a week off 

• Like 1

On 18/4/2023 at 7:27 PM, NewConvert said:

Scrap above. I just checked the contract situation and Stokes, Glover, Hall, Berenguer, O'Neill, Rafa and Caputo all finish eithe end of May 2023 or end of June 2023. So unless the club offers them a contract extension, then there is no point in giving them game time.

Perhaps, they could all see it as a 90 minute job interview

On 18/04/2023 at 7:27 PM, NewConvert said:

Scrap above. I just checked the contract situation and Stokes, Glover, Hall, Berenguer, O'Neill, Rafa and Caputo all finish eithe end of May 2023 or end of June 2023. So unless the club offers them a contract extension, then there is no point in giving them game time.

What are people's opinions on renewals? 

Mine are:

Stokes - Release

Glover - Renew (only if we retain the GK coach and sign a better #2) 

Hall - Renew

Berenguer - Release

O'Neil - Renew (throw money at the man!)

Rafa - Renew

Caputo - Renew

Edited by haz

2 hours ago, haz said:

Mine are:

Stokes - Release

Hall - Renew

Berenguer - Release

Rafa - Renew

Caputo - Renew

Hall - 1yr contract at best as he is 24 years old and has had minimal impact on team selection.

Glover - Renew as he is 24 and the better keepers are all much older. Alternatively, if we can get Gauci then Glover becomes #2.

Berenguer - Release as he is getting on and is injury prone with each injury taking lobg to overcome and then longer to get match fitness

O'Neill - Renew

Rafa - Undecided, gets a few minutes but not enough to put pressure on Nabbout, Tilio or JMac.

Caputo - Renew

Stokes - I am not sure what his best position is but appears to compete for the same spot as Talbot & Galloway. If so, he is not putting enough pressure on them to get a run. That is why I thought he ought to get 30 minutes at least if not a full half, just to see whether he is worth renewing.

@jw1739 Do you know that if a scholarship player is offered an extension they remain scholarship? This would apply to Stokes, Caputo and Rafa.

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Hall - 1yr contract at best as he is 24 years old and has had minimal impact on team selection.

Glover - Renew as he is 24 and the better keepers are all much older. Alternatively, if we can get Gauci then Glover becomes #2.

Berenguer - Release as he is getting on and is injury prone with each injury taking lobg to overcome and then longer to get match fitness

O'Neill - Renew

Rafa - Undecided, gets a few minutes but not enough to put pressure on Nabbout, Tilio or JMac.

Caputo - Renew

Stokes - I am not sure what his best position is but appears to compete for the same spot as Talbot & Galloway. If so, he is not putting enough pressure on them to get a run. That is why I thought he ought to get 30 minutes at least if not a full half, just to see whether he is worth renewing.

@jw1739 Do you know that if a scholarship player is offered an extension they remain scholarship? This would apply to Stokes, Caputo and Rafa.

Gauci just signed a contract and he'd be looking at Europe why would him come to us? 

O'Neil is also ready for Europe 

I know it won't happen but I'd love a big name marquee we need someone that can put butts on seats. Cfg should throw us a bone with all the talent we have given them 

47 minutes ago, citypool said:

Gauci just signed a contract and he'd be looking at Europe why would him come to us? 

O'Neil is also ready for Europe 

I know it won't happen but I'd love a big name marquee we need someone that can put butts on seats. Cfg should throw us a bone with all the talent we have given them 

Big name marquees very, very rarely mean on-field success in the A League. Usually the only ones remotely in the responsible HAL spend window are over the hill physically.

Pass.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, haz said:

Mine are:

Stokes - Release

Hall - Renew

Berenguer - Release

Rafa - Renew

Caputo - Renew

Jamieson as well

In the actually match thread, lets discuss the match.

Genuinely think we should be blooding youngsters and getting minutes into VdV and Leckie first and foremost, give them 45 minutes and then rip them off, the result is largely secondary here, particularly as we haven't been pulling up trees recently and those two absentees have been a big reason.

• Like 1

Even though we have now wrapped up the Plate I'd love nothing more than to smash this homeless shitcan team.. they won the GF by fluking it last season and pretty much helped us this season win the plate by beating Adelaide last week.. To thank them I'd love nothing more than to smash them and send them back to there little patch of dirt wherever the fuck it is knocking them out of playing in the finals..

Don't forget the Western Service Crew is offering free Wheel Alignments and tyre changes before the game today so bring the car to Gosch's Paddock..

• Like 1

This crowd tonight just proves why handing the licence to these generic homeless fucks was a massive mistake.. Saturday night no football on at the G or Marvel and they were litteraly handing out free tickets.. Both Macarthur and Western have proven that both teams were probably not the right decision.. anyway enough of that let's bury this homeless mob!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Leckie is such different quality to anyone in the park this season. 

Him and vdv. Those two just make us such a better team.  Could put me with them in the midfield and I reckon we'd still score 3 a game hahaha 

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 4

Revenge is a dish best served cold, in this case, Grand Final loss payback in denying finals to Vagrants FC. It was a game of possession versus space

Positives:

We played well and dominated possession.

Seeing JMac get the record with a hat trick on the night was good.

It was good to see some youth players, we should be planning for next season and giving our 23/24 season players some match experience in the senior team rather than leaving them on the bench.

There was a definite lift in performance with the return of Leckie and vdV

Negatives:

We didn't control space until the second half when we started to stretch WU. This coincided with Leckie and vdV coming on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Any good player will stand out in a poor team and raise the team's performance. All credit to Matt Leckie that he does that in the League's top team

He's been a real asset since he found his mojo after the first quarter or so of last season!! The guy is a weapon and easily in the top 2 or 3 best players in the league, if not the best player on his day!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

He's been a real asset since he found his mojo after the first quarter or so of last season!! The guy is a weapon and easily in the top 2 or 3 best players in the league, if not the best player on his day!! 

He had played very little during his last season with Hertha

I was on holiday so I have just watched the game. I still feel letting Pierias go was a big mistake, as much promise as Tilio shows, I would much rather have Pierias.

On 23/04/2023 at 5:44 PM, belaguttman said:

He had played very little during his last season with Hertha

Exactly, it always takes a bit of time for overseas players to adapt to the league, compared to other Aussies who have come back home, he has done exceptionally well.

• Like 1