Melbourne Football

Monday 10th April vs Nix. KO 4pm

kingofhearts

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I still would rest JMac and/or Nabbout. At the very least sub them off at the 60 minute mark. Or alternatively bring them on at the 60 minute mark.

Agree. 3rd match in 8 days IMO we would be foolish to start exactly the same team. I would start Caputo and give him at least 45 minutes to make an impact. JMac and Nabbout - especially the latter - are nowhere near their best. The other thing Rado has to work out is how to stop the defence leaking goals. When you play this hard running high intensity pressure game we do you need to bring on a defender somewhere near the end of the match to give some extra cover at the back.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Agree. 3rd match in 8 days IMO we would be foolish to start exactly the same team. I would start Caputo and give him at least 45 minutes to make an impact. JMac and Nabbout - especially the latter - are nowhere near their best. The other thing Rado has to work out is how to stop the defence leaking goals. When you play this hard running high intensity pressure game we do you need to bring on a defender somewhere near the end of the match to give some extra cover at the back.

Our back four are: Talbot, Lam, Good, Bos with Bos & Talbot doing a lot of running right up until the last minute. Neither Good nor Lam have ever been reknown for speed. So what was working earlier in the season that is not at the moment? Leckie and VDV were always running back to assist in defence. Assuming that neither player is returning this season, then the team needs to shift formation and personnel to provide the difference for at least the last 15 minutes.

Nabbout does get back but he seems to be penalised a lot. Tilio also gets back but he makes too many errors around the defence area. Jamo can come in but I think that he would would take Bos' position and move Bos forward a bit to provide that extra cover could be an answer. Not sure.

• Like 1

You don't have to wait too long for your next fix of City football though as we're back at home this Easter Monday from 4:00pm.

And we've got an Easter treat for you as kids go free!

Simply use the code EASTERJUNIOR to unlock up to 3x junior GA tickets with the purchase of each adult GA ticket.

After picking up a hugely important three points this evening, we'll have another chance to solidify our place at the top of the table.

So bring the noise that'll inspire the boys to another win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Afl is on at 320 so we will probably cross paths with supporters on the way home. 

Feels a bit awkward sometimes but it doesn't happen often 

It's a pain in the arse because when I get to the station the car park will be full and I have to find somewhere else.

Reis is available. Jamieson is suspended. I also note that Sutton hasn't been named for a couple of matches now. His contract is up at the end of the season - maybe he's on his way out of the club?

1. Tom GLOVER (GK), 2. Scott GALLOWAY, 4. Nuno REIS, 6. Thomas LAM, 9. Jamie MACLAREN, 10. Florin BERENGUER, 13. Aiden O’NEILL, 14. Valon BERISHA, 15. Andrew NABBOUT, 18. Jordon HALL, 22. Curtis GOOD, 23. Marco TILIO, 25. Callum TALBOT, 35. Raphael BORGES RODRIGUES, 36. Kerrin STOKES, 37. Max CAPUTO, 38. Jordan BOS, 40. James NIEUWENHUIZEN (GK), 43. Sebastian ESPOSITO, 50. Emile PEIOS.

In: 4. Nuno REIS (returns from injury) 43. Sebastian ESPOSITO (promoted), 50. Emile PEIOS (promoted).

Out: 3. Scott JAMIESON (suspension)

Unavailable: 3. Scott JAMIESON (suspension), 7. Mathew LECKIE (hamstring), 8. Richard VAN DER VENNE (calf), 34. Arion SULEMANI (ACL).

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Reis is available. Jamieson is suspended. I also note that Sutton hasn't been named for a couple of matches now. His contract is up at the end of the season - maybe he's on his way out of the club?

1. Tom GLOVER (GK), 2. Scott GALLOWAY, 4. Nuno REIS, 6. Thomas LAM, 9. Jamie MACLAREN, 10. Florin BERENGUER, 13. Aiden O’NEILL, 14. Valon BERISHA, 15. Andrew NABBOUT, 18. Jordon HALL, 22. Curtis GOOD, 23. Marco TILIO, 25. Callum TALBOT, 35. Raphael BORGES RODRIGUES, 36. Kerrin STOKES, 37. Max CAPUTO, 38. Jordan BOS, 40. James NIEUWENHUIZEN (GK), 43. Sebastian ESPOSITO, 50. Emile PEIOS.

In: 4. Nuno REIS (returns from injury) 43. Sebastian ESPOSITO (promoted), 50. Emile PEIOS (promoted).

Out: 3. Scott JAMIESON (suspension)

Unavailable: 3. Scott JAMIESON (suspension), 7. Mathew LECKIE (hamstring), 8. Richard VAN DER VENNE (calf), 34. Arion SULEMANI (ACL).

Have thought for a while that Nieuwenhuizen might be the better keeper. Sutton hasn't got anywhere so suspect he will be going elsewhere.

That second half is one of the best halves we've played all season.

Our midfield of frenchy, berisha and O'Neil were clicking,  our wingers in nabbout and tilio finally got back into form, and j mac found his finishing boots again.

A special shout as well to glover today who made some huge saves. I don't know if we win today without his efforts

Just need 2 more points boys and we're there!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes the team is gelling well. Particularly I think that this was the game Berenguer needed. He played well in the midfield - his natural habitat. He did stop chasing the ball a couple of times and I am glad he did because the team needs him out there not on the sidelines with another soft tissue injury.

The subs - Galloway didn't make any mistakes in the midfield after replacing Berisha but he did not do anything either. Certainly need to bolster the mid-field stocks with a younger player. Rafa continually pressed but I felt he needs better decision making, just because he dominates the NPL does not mean that he can do that at the higher level. Caputo was on for a very short time but did OK. Reis for Good baffled me but I can only think that they are both being managed.

Is Rafa playing on the wing in the NPL? I thought he was more of a central player, but his two recent appearances for the seniors have been on the right wing. He had a total of 12 minutes , and Caputo 9, and IMO they both slotted in pretty well.

Actually I though that our defence was steadier with Reis rather than Good, although that might have been because after the red card Phoenix seemed to be more interested in containment rather than going forward. Reis also has a good eye for the long ball.

I find Berisha a most frustrating player. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Is Rafa playing on the wing in the NPL? I thought he was more of a central player, but his two recent appearances for the seniors have been on the right wing. He had a total of 12 minutes , and Caputo 9, and IMO they both slotted in pretty well.

Actually I though that our defence was steadier with Reis rather than Good, although that might have been because after the red card Phoenix seemed to be more interested in containment rather than going forward. Reis also has a good eye for the long ball.

I find Berisha a most 

Reis mistake should have cost us a goal if it wasn't for Glover. He made a few blunders after he came on. 

Edited by n i k o