Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Newcastle 2nd April 2023 AAMI Park 3.00 p.m.

citypool

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

If anything has cost us the season it’s injuries.

Nabbout and JMac are playing injured, Berenguer never fit. Leckie and VDV out long term.

Not many teams will be able to cope with that.

This has stifled our creativity massively but we've also lost the ability to defend. When was the last game that we kept a clean sheet?

We should also be playing a youth player in the midfield,  not a washed up lb who wouldn't be in the starting 11 regardless. Rado has to take some of the blame here.

7 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

This has stifled our creativity massively but we've also lost the ability to defend. When was the last game that we kept a clean sheet?

We should also be playing a youth player in the midfield,  not a washed up lb who wouldn't be in the starting 11 regardless. Rado has to take some of the blame here.

And perhaps letting Gomulka go and not replacing him?

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

If anything has cost us the season it’s injuries.

Nabbout and JMac are playing injured, Berenguer never fit. Leckie and VDV out long term.

Not many teams will be able to cope with that.

Keeping Macca and Nabout playing will only extend their injuries and they aren't performing, last game Macca was effected heavily he may as not played. Bos can play further up field for Nabout and Jaimeison could have played in his natural position. Our biggest loss is Leckie, he has been phenomenal, VDV as well, so sure we have an injury problem, I don't think the team is being managed very well through it though.

This is what the season has come to: we celebrate a home draw as if it's a win

Positives:

we have Leckie and van der Venne out. Berengeur, Nabbout and MacLaren are carrying significant injuries and are out of form: we didn't lose

We played with intensity with 10 men in the second half, largely playing the game in the Jets' half

A young player delivered... when given a chance

Negatives:

We had a lacklustre first half; we played without intensity, ponderous ball movement, and disorganised defence

We only tested the Jet's keeper once, with Caputo's header; lots of possession, huff and puff, and few clear scoring chances created.

We looked cooked... and we have two more games in the next week. What are the chances that we actually play some of our young players?

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Rado unfortunately seems to me to not have the nerve to make big calls with certain players. Nabbout was injured.  Jmac was a ghost. He should have brought on Galloway to play on the wing and Raphael in place of jmac. At least he could hold the ball up. Rado got out coached by himself. 

• Like 5

The Jamieson midfield experiment needs to be over. Dead, buried and cremated. 

I also strongly agree with the comment above that Rado doesn’t have the stones to make the big calls - resting or taking off Jmac (in particular), Nabbout and captain Jamieson. Other than that I like him as coach. I like the attacking style, rotations and fluidity. But I want to see our younger players given a chance when someone in first team is out of form, or out of legs and I want earlier substitutions when the game needs shaking up. 

I don’t agree with the criticism of Berisha. I think he’s an important part of our best midfield and I hope we keep him. His general play and workrate are very good but he really, really needs to hit the target - his shooting has been far below the standard we should be expecting of him. In another season if he clicks he could easily score a dozen over a season. 

Edited by Tangerine

We deserved the point.  I went to the game (great day for a 160km round-trip motorcycle ride) and while we were rubbish in the first half, we really chased everything hard in the second and were far better with 10 men than 11, to my mind.  The final ball was pretty much rubbish throughout, but the lads never gave up trying.  It was only in the penalty box we fell short - until the equaliser. 

Jordy Bos was sensational on the wing.  Never stopped running, chasing, and beating opponents.

Small crowd, and the smallest active area I can ever remember.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, n i k o said:

Rado unfortunately seems to me to not have the nerve to make big calls with certain players. Nabbout was injured.  Jmac was a ghost. He should have brought on Galloway to play on the wing and Raphael in place of jmac. At least he could hold the ball up. Rado got out coached by himself. 

JMAC is always a ghost until he scores. It’s extremely hard for a possession based team to play with a striker who’s so limited in gameplay, it literally feels like you are playing with a man less. This is why I’m always so critical.

Before people say there’s no service for him, that’s not fully true anymore of course.

In this current form any of our youth strikers could compete for a spot at least they are better with the ball.

I’ve posted this before but it seems we only get games over the line when he scores.

It’s the exact same criticism as for Haaland if these type of players don’t score than they contribute very little.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

This was a shit show of an afternoon. Travelling in on a train that was packed with AFL types and was surely over capacity wasn't a good start. The match itself was reminiscent of Newcastle in the first season when on a wet day it was the Jets who had a man sent off in the 8th minute and we proceeded to lose 0-2 before a crowd of 2,754. Today's crowd was 4,088.

Agree with most of what has already been said. Reis looks to me to be at the end of his career, as does Jamieson. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets a couple of matches for that tackle - it was careless to say the least. Nabbout was stiff on the penalty call, and the referee was shit all afternoon, but both Nabbout and Maclaren aren't producing anything, and Berisha and Tilio not a lot. I guess that Rado's dilemma is that we're at the tail-end of the season, so does he play the same team to try to eke out enough points to win the Premiership and play in the ACL, or does he bring in a couple of youngsters in the hope that the team will produce more?

I've been super-doubtful about Florin ever since he arrived, but at least he brings some composure to an attack that seems to want to play at a helter-skelter pace. He didn't come on until the 77th minute, but again produced a peach of a corner in just the right place for Max Caputo, himself only just on the pitch, to rise above everyone else and plonk the ball where it belonged - in the net. I hope JMac, Nabbout and Berisha were paying attention.

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This was a shit show of an afternoon. Travelling in on a train that was packed with AFL types and was surely over capacity wasn't a good start. The match itself was reminiscent of Newcastle in the first season when on a wet day it was the Jets who had a man sent off in the 8th minute and we proceeded to lose 0-2 before a crowd of 2,754. Today's crowd was 4,088.

Agree with most of what has already been said. Reis looks to me to be at the end of his career, as does Jamieson. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets a couple of matches for that tackle - it was careless to say the least. Nabbout was stiff on the penalty call, and the referee was shit all afternoon, but both Nabbout and Maclaren aren't producing anything, and Berisha and Tilio not a lot. I guess that Rado's dilemma is that we're at the tail-end of the season, so does he play the same team to try to eke out enough points to win the Premiership and play in the ACL, or does he bring in a couple of youngsters in the hope that the team will produce more?

I've been super-doubtful about Florin ever since he arrived, but at least he brings some composure to an attack that seems to want to play at a helter-skelter pace. He didn't come on until the 77th minute, but again produced a peach of a corner in just the right place for Max Caputo, himself only just on the pitch, to rise above everyone else and plonk the ball where it belonged - in the net. I hope JMac, Nabbout and Berisha were paying attention.

I missed the first 30 minutes but at least the corner florin assisted beat the first man and the keeper. Berisha never ticked any of those boxes on every delivery that I can remember. 

One of the obvious messages from this match is to give the kids more time on the pitch. Who was the best of the starting eleven? Jordy Bos, who lest we forget wasn't even in the team a year ago. Who scored the goal? A 17 year old rookie, Caputo, with lots of plaudits already from NPL performances. Who let us down? A host of senior players who should know better. We've got some fabulous youngsters, so if our first teasers are injured or out of form, we need to get them in there.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

One of the obvious messages from this match is to give the kids more time on the pitch. Who was the best of the starting eleven? Jordy Bos, who lest we forget wasn't even in the team a year ago. Who scored the goal? A 17 year old rookie, Caputo, with lots of plaudits already from NPL performances. Who let us down? A host of senior players who should know better. We've got some fabulous youngsters, so if our first teasers are injured or out of form, we need to get them in there.

@fensaddlerYou're so right there. It's an indictment of those senior players to look at the votes for this match. Caputo getting at least some votes despite being on the field for no more than 4 minutes! Did he actually get another touch of the ball or was it "one touch and one goal?"

Oh dear, the club's report on the match...https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/20230402-match-report-alm

4 hours ago, HughJass said:

2nd yellow so should only be the week 

So the question is, is the one match the derby on Wednesday or will it be the Wellington game?

It probably should be the Wellington game as Wednesday isn't a full game, but knowing this league it could be anything