Melbourne Football

The acitivity on this forum is inverse to the club's performance

MCMLIII

1 hour ago, MCMLIII said:

I see there is a lot less activity on this forum compared to several years ago. As the club is now performing better than it did back then one would expect the exact opposite. Why?

The forum use is pretty heavily correlated to the time since Yarraside disbanded. YS used the forum quite heavily, but none of the other active groups did or do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, citypool said:

A league in general isn't popular. We can talk until the cows come on why but I enjoy discussing the club with the hardcore fans. Even at aami park everyone cares about the match 

11 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I really miss you all when the forum goes down....

Very true. The A-League and the clubs - if City is any example - don't really engage with the fans, so we create our own engagement, both at the ground and via this Forum. It's very reminiscent of my English non-league days. No on-line then of course, but every fortnight at the ground the same old fans, half the time you didn't even know their names, but you looked forward to meeting them and chatting with them, and we all "belonged" in that strangely unique way that football brings.

Wouldn't trade it for the world.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, citypool said:

Has anyone checked out city square or what ever it's called on Goshn paddock before the match?

No. It's aimed mainly at young fans I think, and I don't have any children to take these days. It wasn't there for one recent match (Adelaide?) which surprised me, and it seems smaller than previously but that may be just that I'm not paying it any attention.

Interest in the club as reflected by attendances peaked in season 2016-17 - average non-derby attendance 9,417 - and it's been downhill since that time.

There will be many factors that have contributed to the decline, but I have little doubt that COVID has played a significant part. Quite apart from factors that IMO are largely under the club, or the league's, control, it never ceases to amaze me that our rail system seems to have at least one line shut or operating on buses every bloody weekend, and probably is the final straw for those who have a only a marginal interest in going to a match.

• Like 1

On 20/3/2023 at 9:29 PM, MCMLIII said:

I see there is a lot less activity on this forum compared to several years ago. As the club is now performing better than it did back then one would expect the exact opposite. Why?

yeah ik mate. I heard on the podcast the City Terrace were disbanding or something? Someone fill me in. We need the fans on the forum though- if there’s another one can someone let me know thanks

• 4 weeks later...

The activity of Melbourne City on the pitch is the inverse to Joey Lynchs' writing, e.g. 

Premiership 3-peat = "it was a rather nondescript way for Melbourne City to make history"

Putting in the effort to win = "have the crown fall into their laps"

It's a salary capped league, so how are City a "behemoth"

If you ignore the most important thing, the remainder isn't that exciting = "once you get past them playing the best football in the League, there’s very little in this City side to engender them"

It's OK to ignore the premiership, and the premiership 3-peat, because "Australia crowns its champions via an end-of-season playoff, this will hamper legacy"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/17/melbourne-city-quietly-make-history-with-third-straight-a-league-title

4 hours ago, cremorne said:

The activity of Melbourne City on the pitch is the inverse to Joey Lynchs' writing, e.g. 

Premiership 3-peat = "it was a rather nondescript way for Melbourne City to make history"

Putting in the effort to win = "have the crown fall into their laps"

It's a salary capped league, so how are City a "behemoth"

If you ignore the most important thing, the remainder isn't that exciting = "once you get past them playing the best football in the League, there’s very little in this City side to engender them"

It's OK to ignore the premiership, and the premiership 3-peat, because "Australia crowns its champions via an end-of-season playoff, this will hamper legacy"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/17/melbourne-city-quietly-make-history-with-third-straight-a-league-title

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

I disagree tbh, i think that was a fairly well written and considered article.

Im with cremorne, I think your off here bt. Many sentences dipped in negative context. Have the crown fall in their lap? Are we to ignore the season of dominance and opportunity to put an even bigger gap between us and Adelaide with two games left to play. Nah that is bullshit. 

Being one of the few journalists you would think when he gets to write a football article it would be to try to paint the best light on the game. Seriously, he had an opportunity to make it more positive. Why wouldn't you. :droy:

18 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Im with cremorne, I think your off here bt. Many sentences dipped in negative context. Have the crown fall in their lap? Are we to ignore the season of dominance and opportunity to put an even bigger gap between us and Adelaide with two games left to play. Nah that is bullshit. 

Being one of the few journalists you would think when he gets to write a football article it would be to try to paint the best light on the game. Seriously, he had an opportunity to make it more positive. Why wouldn't you. :droy:

i disagree that that is how it reads. He's making the point that the title being won felt underwhelming, because we didn't 'win' it on the day. I agree with him.

It doesnt downplay the achievement, but the reality is it feels far less euphoric than if we had of won, or even drawn a game on the day to secure it.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

i disagree that that is how it reads. He's making the point that the title being won felt underwhelming, because we didn't 'win' it on the day. I agree with him.

It doesnt downplay the achievement, but the reality is it feels far less euphoric than if we had of won, or even drawn a game on the day to secure it.

Its a crap article. Why has he decided to make that point? "I felt underwhelmed so I'm going to write about how I felt underwhelmed"?  No one cares. At least not Melbourne City supporters. He could have angled that article any way he wanted yet he chose this. Moronic journalism from a  football journalist. But if it was for his fathers beloved Mariners it would be different.