Melbourne Football

Sunday 12th March vs ROAR, 3:00pm KO

kingofhearts

19 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Not so fast. They actually came at us up at their place. They are better than just parking the bus. We need to play well.

Agree, tbh i actually think Roar on that day, and perhaps Adelaide last week have been the single best performances anyone has had against us all season.

• Like 1

teams are pressing against us differently now.  No longer do they sit back and park the buss and allow us to control the game, but instead they try and press us as we move the ball from defence, and especially on throw ins.  This creates a lot more 50/50s and we are having to work harder to win possession, and as a team seem to be running out of puff by around the 60 minute mark.

This style of game makes it easier for teams to counter against us.  

The way we turned it around against Adelaide was to go with two holding midfielders ... when Jammo came on it changed the game for us, but by that time the match was already lost.  I dont think we can afford to play with Van Der Venne in a free role ... I would actually play with two holding mids, have Valon in front of them and VDV as our striker ... JMac needs a spell on the bench, he seems to be carrying a niggle.  Also, I'd have Flo out wide, also coming in for attacks, with Tillio on the other side

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 2

1. Tom GLOVER (GK), 2. Scott GALLOWAY, 3. Scott JAMIESON 4. Nuno REIS, 6. Thomas LAM, 8. Richard VAN DER VENNE, 9. Jamie MACLAREN, 10. Florin BERENGUER 13. Aiden O’NEILL, 14. Valon BERISHA, 15. Andrew NABBOUT, 18. Jordon HALL, 22. Curtis GOOD, 23. Marco TILIO, 25. Callum TALBOT, 30. Luke ORESTI, 33. Matthew SUTTON (GK), 36. Kerrin STOKES, 37. Max CAPUTO, 38. Jordan BOS.

In: 30. Luke ORESTI (promoted), 36. Kerrin STOKES (promoted).

Out: Nil.

Unavailable: 7. Mathew LECKIE (hamstring), 34. Arion SULEMANI (ACL) 35. Raphael BORGES RODRIGUES (national team duty), 39. Emin DURAKOVIC (concussion), 40. James NIEUWENHUIZEN (national team duty).

4 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Who is Patrick Hogan?

When did we sign him?

What does a player from the USL Championship offer over a local young CB?

Since when did we have an extra visa spot available to bring in an American??

Errr... maybe we are scrapping the barrel due to injuries and national duty? 

4 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Since when did we have an extra visa spot available to bring in an American??

Errr... maybe we are scrapping the barrel due to injuries and national duty? 

I think you'll find that Patrick Hogan is a youth player who last season was with Victory. Used to play with Mornington, was scouted by City but preferred Victory at that time, and has represented Victoria.

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

We can blame Rado but no team can cope and replace an Injured Jmac and Leckie.

Raphael is gone too so we are suddenly very thin going forward.

What was up with VDV?

Well the aussies got eliminated so I expect him to be back soon.

Also, the penalty taker should be rotated.

Very difficult match to sit through. So much sterile possession. Often all our players except the one with the ball were static. Very little contribution from Berisha, who can't keep his head over the ball when shooting, Maclaren and Nabbout. Poor penalty from Jmac - in fact a poor decision to even take it. Much of our forward thrust was coming from our wing-backs Talbot and Bos. 

Every team has worked us out now. Just wait for our forward movement to peter out and then hit us on the counter.

Take the three points and move on, hoping we can hold on until the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Very difficult match to sit through. So much sterile possession. Often all our players except the one with the ball were static. Very little contribution from Berisha, who can't keep his head over the ball when shooting, Maclaren and Nabbout. Poor penalty from Jmac - in fact a poor decision to even take it. Much of our forward thrust was coming from our wing-backs Talbot and Bos. 

Every team has worked us out now. Just wait for our forward movement to peter out and then hit us on the counter.

Take the three points and move on, hoping we can hold on until the end of the season.

I agree, it was hard to watch; it was peak JVS City.