Melbourne Football

City vs Sydney, Sat 25th Feb, 5pm

fensaddler

4 minutes ago, haz said:

Has O'Neill ever taken a shot for us except the derby goal? 

Best on ground O’Neill so many crucial interventions again today.

I remember him hitting the bar a couple of times in previous seasons shooting from the edge of the box.

Shame that the Tilio goal took a deflection.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

At the end of the day we just needed the 3 points. That Tilio goal was epic! Probably the best City goal I've witnessed!! 

I’ve seen a few saying that but nobody noticed that it took a significant deflection big enough to put Redders on the wrong foot? Credit for the run for sure.

Don't know if anyone went to this but my first match in a while, terrific hard fought win, gritty, a real contest today, Sydney worthy opponent, a real game of football. Never seen Rado so emotional he looked drained by game's end. A real good day for the club, the boys did well. Don't undersell today.

• Like 5

I find these matches hard to watch TBH. We have a good first half, three nice goals including a screamer from Tilio, and then it's almost slow motion for the second half. And as usual we squandered numerous chances at the end. What with seemingly endless disruptions to public transport I'm not surprised that attendances are what they are. 5,189 at today's match.

However, a win's a win, three points, now nine clear at the top, move on.

• Like 1

This felt like a 6 point game, seriously, the 3 we got and 3 they didn't, I rate Sydney, they have the ability to go on a run but in that first half hour we exposed them with some excellent, sharp work. The crowd was low but everyone was into the game and we have a nice family vibe to our club. I do agree it's difficult to get to the game, for me it's a 3 hour round car trip plus there's at 20 minute walk into the stadium 

4 minutes ago, kiko said:

This felt like a 6 point game, seriously, the 3 we got and 3 they didn't, I rate Sydney, they have the ability to go on a run but in that first half hour we exposed them with some excellent, sharp work. The crowd was low but everyone was into the game and we have a nice family vibe to our club. I do agree it's difficult to get to the game, for me it's a 3 hour round car trip plus there's at 20 minute walk into the stadium 

I think Sydney are past it now. They have an old squad and need a complete rebuild. They were good when we won our first grand final. Now they are performing about as well as that squad should be... 

Definitely a bit of a statement win nonetheless but the only rivals we have are Adelaide, CCM and WSW. 

Tillio's goal was facken awesome.

I gave it to Shitney after whistle and riled up their free kick goal scorer ...and got told off by the missus ...

I think JMAC tweaked something... looked like a hammy, hopefully not too serious 

Sydney did what the tards did and pressed us on throws ... seems to be an issue for us at present, and just that approach alone is reducing our usual dominance in possession 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HughJass said:

What does my head in is the back passing and putting us under unnecessary pressure instead of moving it quick.. 

Yep. Once we start moving the ball backwards we're in trouble. And I'm a nervous wreck anytime the ball goes anywhere near Glover. 

• Like 2

I have no problem with the slower second half or the 'back passing'.

I notice people on here and at the ground are so focused on moving the ball quickly forward at all times, they lose perspective of where the game is actually at.

The first half was really entertaining, especially for the fans with 4 goals and quick play up and down the pitch. Whilst it looked great, i thought Sydney were just as capable as scoring as we were.

I'm certainly not privy to what goes on in the sheds, but I'm sure Rado's message at half time would have been to slow the game down and play some tempo football, especially as we were sitting on a 2 goal lead. 

Sure it didn't look as pretty but it absolutely helped nullify Sydney too. No way they were as dangerous in the second half.

So pretty comfortable for me and well managed in the end.

• Like 3

I actually liked how Nabbout played as a target man. Won most balls in the air (against Sydney's CBs) and can hold the ball up better than Jmac. 

Of course Jmac shouldn't get benched, but I'd like to see Nabbout get up top a bit more. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rass said:

I have no problem with the slower second half or the 'back passing'.

I notice people on here and at the ground are so focused on moving the ball quickly forward at all times, they lose perspective of where the game is actually at.

The first half was really entertaining, especially for the fans with 4 goals and quick play up and down the pitch. Whilst it looked great, i thought Sydney were just as capable as scoring as we were.

I'm certainly not privy to what goes on in the sheds, but I'm sure Rado's message at half time would have been to slow the game down and play some tempo football, especially as we were sitting on a 2 goal lead. 

Sure it didn't look as pretty but it absolutely helped nullify Sydney too. No way they were as dangerous in the second half.

So pretty comfortable for me and well managed in the end.

I take your point. The tactics might be correct, but it isn't what the fans want to see. Further, play the ball backwards to the point where it's  at Glover's feet or even in his hands you're looking straight at a turnover. He is just not authoritative with the ball. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I take your point. The tactics might be correct, but it isn't what the fans want to see. Further, play the ball backwards to the point where it's  at Glover's feet or even in his hands you're looking straight at a turnover. He is just not authoritative with the ball. 

I agree most strongly, it scares the Bejesus out of me too.

We MUST Get a Better goalkeeper than the one we have .

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Do we want to go back to long balls to JMAC? I’m glad we try to play out and play to our strengths.

When we have a CF who can hold up play and can control a ball under pressure we can reconsider.

Our wingers drop deep to help out in defence.

You’ve mentioned last night that when we broke out quick, through JMAC more often than not we turned it over due to some poor passes. There was a patch in where we failed 2 or 3 times in a space of 5 minutes and we stopped doing it eventually to maintain possession or only when there was more time or space.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

At the end of the day we just needed the 3 points. That Tilio goal was epic! Probably the best City goal I've witnessed!! 

EXACTLY my thought at the match the second it went it.  Unbelievable.  I think only Cahill's long-range thunderbolt at the Etihad derby circa 2016 (?) was better. 

3 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

EXACTLY my thought at the match the second it went it.  Unbelievable.  I think only Cahill's long-range thunderbolt at the Etihad derby circa 2016 (?) was better. 

Surely Ross the Boss has got 5 or 6 long range rockets that are better than Tillio's goal. It might be different conversation if it didn't take a deflection.

Edit: And RtB's goals were not hit and hope unlike Cahill's.

Edited by malloy

An interesting game, a good win, but unfortunately, the final result flattered Sydney.

Positives:

When we are 'on', we are 'on' and unstoppable by any team in the League.

The game showed our depth; we aren't reliant on Leckie or Good.

Tilio always finds that extra motivation against his old team; we need to find a way to keep him like that every game against every opponent.

Andy Harper, amidst the totally Sydney-centric TV commentary, seems to have suddenly discovered what Aidan O'Neill provides for the team

Negatives:

We need to sharpen up the second pass in attacking transition; we lost the ball far too often in midfield.

Redmayne stopped the score from becoming embarrassing, which he rarely did for us. I wonder how he might have performed for us if we'd provided him with a good goal-keeping coach.

I couldn't hear active support through the TV coverage.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

It was an awesome run and finish from Tilio. Even better that Brattan was the one marking him although poorly 🤣 didn't make that derby where Cahill kicked that screamer unfortunately 😞

46 minutes ago, malloy said:

Surely Ross the Boss has got 5 or 6 long range rockets that are better than Tillio's goal. It might be different conversation if it didn't take a deflection.

IMO we're making too much of the "deflection." If you go though the video frame by frame if there is a deflection it doesn't deceive Redmayne at all - he's always going the right way. Further it's the run before the final shot that also forms part of the goal itself.

IMO all five goals last night were out of the top drawer. Berenguer's assist was exquisite, and for Sydney Mak's goal was nicely taken and Caballo's free-kick was brilliant.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we're making too much of the "deflection." If you go though the video frame by frame if there is a deflection it doesn't deceive Redmayne at all - he's always going the right way. Further it's the run before the final shot that also forms part of the goal itself.

Sorry disagree, the initial shot landed well truly in the keepers reach and he would have had a hand on it, and you can clearly see that in his movements. Replay from behind the goal is very telling it just changed direction.

A slight deflection so close to the shot taker pushes the ball out even further away from the keeper. As it was so close to him it’s hard to notice.

Impressive run but that deflection caused it not to be in my top 10 of best goals for Heart/City. Sorry.

He scored a better similar goal earlier in the season IMO.

Edited by Mr MO

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Just adding to my previous, I can barely hear the audio of Rado's post-match comments, but as far as I can tell he wasn't happy with our second half either.

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/videos/id/post-match-press-conference-rado-vidosic-25-02-23/6321205266112

Seems more the opposite in this clip?

Not happy in the first but more in control in the second.

https://m.facebook.com/aleagues/videos/905575217306891/?extid=NS-UNK-UNK-UNK-IOS_GK0T-GK1C&mibextid=2Rb1fB&refsrc=deprecated&ref=sharing&_rdr

On 26/02/2023 at 12:03 PM, jw1739 said:

Just adding to my previous, I can barely hear the audio of Rado's post-match comments, but as far as I can tell he wasn't happy with our second half either.

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/videos/id/post-match-press-conference-rado-vidosic-25-02-23/6321205266112

No, he definitely hated the first half and was much happier with the second. Much more interesting to listen to than Paddy!

On 26/02/2023 at 12:11 PM, malloy said:

No 5 in that epic against Adelaide. The most 'hold my beer and watch this' goal that I've ever seen. Tilio's was a better, but the fat Scotsman got a few too....

On 25/02/2023 at 9:44 PM, jw1739 said:

I find these matches hard to watch TBH. We have a good first half, three nice goals including a screamer from Tilio, and then it's almost slow motion for the second half. And as usual we squandered numerous chances at the end. What with seemingly endless disruptions to public transport I'm not surprised that attendances are what they are. 5,189 at today's match.

However, a win's a win, three points, now nine clear at the top, move on.

There's something about watching Sydney games that just suck the life out of it, I don't generally enjoy watching their games for entertainment value.

1 hour ago, moops said:

There's something about watching Sydney games that just suck the life out of it, I don't generally enjoy watching their games for entertainment value.

I have the same feeling.

I've come to the conclusion that is because most games and most most parts of the games despite the score line they play better than us. We don't like that as we are more comfi when we have the ball in our possession. Players like Loly, Burgess and even Caceras on the ball, dangerous without an end. product.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I have the same feeling.

I've come to the conclusion that is because most games and most most parts of the games despite the score line they play better than us. We don't like that as we are more comfi when we have the ball in our possession. Players like Loly, Burgess and even Caceras on the ball, dangerous without an end. product.

I don't think it's just Sydney, or Adelaide, or any club in particular. Many of our matches are frustrating because we are very wasteful in front of goal. We dominate possession but don't turn it into goals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think it's just Sydney, or Adelaide, or any club in particular. Many of our matches are frustrating because we are very wasteful in front of goal. We dominate possession but don't turn it into goals.

I don’t feel that we ever dominate possession against Sydney that’s my point, that just makes me uncomfortable to watch.

Against Adelaide we just always make mistakes.