Melbourne Football

"Away" Derby, City vs Victory, 18th February 2023, AAMI Park, 7.45 p.m.

jw1739

12 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Yeap I take back what I said starting him over berisha.

If frenchy was a car he'd only ever be in cruise control. The guy only goes one speed.

How good is Van der Vanne though

The issue is, he is capable of producing some really good football. He is just too timid and goes missing when games get tough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, malloy said:

The issue is, he is capable of producing some really good football. He is just too timid and goes missing when games get tough.

Very true, that pass he did to jmac was mint. But he's just not consistent enough to start imo. Berisha may not always have a massive impact on the game but his effort level is always at 100%

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I miss a ball playing centre forward, one who we can play in an set up play. I wonder if JMAC is unwell, work rate and pressure isn’t the same.

Then again they have 2 good centre backs.

2 minutes ago, haz said:

Seriously why did we fuck around giving Rado a contract? 

Fucked line up. Florian is a passenger. Talbot isn't good enough. And Reis isn't in form. 

He’s just rotating, nothing to see here.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm waiting for the "Sack Rado" thread now...

Complete rubbish over reaction, we’ve played bad games in the past too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, haz said:

15 shots to 6... another one of those games for us. 

JMAC “prolific” in paper goals scored when you create a lot but his conversion rate is actually not that good (but nobody wants to talk about that). He had 2 or 3 really good chances, probably our best chances.

All the rest were just shots a bit further out.

Composure of the likes of the VdV wasn’t good tonight either.

There’s your difference in those big games like today.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

JMAC “prolific” in paper goals scored when you create a lot but his conversion rate is actually not that good (but nobody wants to talk about that). He had 2 or 3 really good chances, probably our best chances.

All the rest were just shots a bit further out.

Composure of the likes of the VdV wasn’t good tonight either.

There’s your difference in those big games like today.

Agree.

That last chance he just needed to nod his head, but the whole team were slow out of the blocks, once again movement was lacking.

VDV did have a bit of an off night, same with Tillio tbh.

• Like 1

Before people say, bottom of the table we should have won by 0-5.

It’s a derby and Victory isn’t that bad as that table suggests, also the new recruits are handy reinforcement for them.

3 minutes ago, moops said:

Agree.

That last chance he just needed to nod his head, but the whole team were slow out of the blocks, once again movement was lacking.

VDV did have a bit of an off night, same with Tillio tbh.

It’s very difficult to create good movement in the final third if you can’t play in or involve your centre forward but I’m a broken record unfortunately.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Fuck me. What is the deal with our finishing? It's like everyone has been told not to shoot unless under some specific circumstance that happens once every like 5 games 

When was the last game we were super clinical? I can’t even remember, even going years back feels like we have always been like this we just don’t always concede that easy and then you win games.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Thanks 1

Embarrassing. Embarrassing that we let the visit0rs play with intensity, particularly in the second half when we looked like we were in cruise mode.

We defend far better with Good rather than Reis; he's far tighter on his players than Reis and better in the air.

We need to respond next week by spanking the smurfs

• Like 1

One other thing that frustrates me is Talbot not being to be last 90 or even really get close. We're up to game 18 and every week at the 60ish minute he starts to weaken and by 75 he is spent. Last night it was a real pain having to use a sub window to get him off for a defender when we needed attackers on the pitch. 

I obviously don't have the numbers, but I don't think he did considerably more work than bos, Geria or Cadete and those 3 we're all going pretty strong right up to the 90th

I'm hoping this turns out to be a blessing in disguise, because we were always going to lose one of these games where we've absolutely dominated general play. And because it was against Victory, there won't be the temptation to write it off as 'just one of those nights'.

I don't want us to stagger to the plate like we have the last two years (yeah, first world problems for those who've been around since the early Heart days); I want the league done and dusted with 3-4 games to play. And it feels like last night may be that pivotal moment in a season where we can go one of two ways.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, neio said:

One other thing that frustrates me is Talbot not being to be last 90 or even really get close. We're up to game 18 and every week at the 60ish minute he starts to weaken and by 75 he is spent. Last night it was a real pain having to use a sub window to get him off for a defender when we needed attackers on the pitch. 

I obviously don't have the numbers, but I don't think he did considerably more work than bos, Geria or Cadete and those 3 we're all going pretty strong right up to the 90th

Is he a converted CB?

I don't know why Galloway is getting limited game time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

fucking hurts to lose to the tards, but is it just me or have the tables turned; it honestly feels like every derby is now their grand final - like it used to be for us back in the Heart days?

IMO that's a very astute observation. We've got to adapt to the change in circumstances.

However, despite recent seasons they still have the slight advantage going head-to-head - after last night, all competitions, Victory 15 wins, Heat/City 14 wins, 11 draws. (I read somewhere that before last night it was 14, 14, 11.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

fucking hurts to lose to the tards, but is it just me or have the tables turned; it honestly feels like every derby is now their grand final - like it used to be for us back in the Heart days?

Yes, they now have a small club mentality; the derby means everything, it's their Grand Final, so they approach it with that intensity.

8 hours ago, Tommykins said:

I think these are the games where we need Nabbout earlier, Tilio wasn't at the races from minute 1. 

Also we need Curtis Good back pronto. 

Tilio does appear to struggle in big games, the Grand Final against the smurfs excepted.

Good would have worn Bruno like a glove; he managed to lose Reis in the box.

It was good to face a team that matched us with our usual intensity, it unsettled us; hopefully, we can learn from this.

4 hours ago, rass said:

Was that a contest?

Well I thought that Ikonomides did better than Nani in the first match and Ikonomides did play well in the first half. Reason for thinking this way is that maybe the A-League home grown product is capable of matching the "name" players that the A-League is paying through the nose for.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Well I thought that Ikonomides did better than Nani in the first match and Ikonomides did play well in the first half. Reason for thinking this way is that maybe the A-League home grown product is capable of matching the "name" players that the A-League is paying through the nose for.

Sorry, was being cheeky.

But really don't rate Ikonomides. Reckon he's had his time and doesn't offer much. Wouldn't surprise if the scum offload him next season. Spent a lot of that giving professional fouls and was lucky not to see a card.

Bos on the other hand has the world in front of him.